Coilover Bolt Size?

User avatar
yikes
Founder
Posts: 4138
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:51 am
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff
Location: Yucaipa, CA

Coilover Bolt Size?

Post by yikes »

I've got 9/16's fine thread grade 8's on hand with misaligns and locknuts. Trying to save $$ anywhere I can, but is that enough bolt for the beating I'm going to give this thing? Should I bump to 5/8"? These were purchased for shocks originally, not holding the whole damn thing up.
User avatar
bajascott
My belly is my best friend
Posts: 2006
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:29 pm
Bronco Info: its black, its fun to drive,and i dont have enough money to build it the way i want to!:)
Location: southern oregon
Contact:

Re: Coilover Bolt Size?

Post by bajascott »

in my opinion,the 9/16 bolt will be good. we ran 1/2' on all our shocks on the toyota(granted it was a lot lighter) but never bent any.
you will design it strong enough.i know this..... :)
post up some more pics
FRONT YARD FABRICATION
http://ssfab-n-offroad.com/
MOSS2
Posts: 317
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:28 pm
Location: Northern California
Contact:

Re: Coilover Bolt Size?

Post by MOSS2 »

Our 2.5 coilovers just have 1/2" bolts. I would think your 9/16 would be plenty if torqued. Never had one break or even get loose.
User avatar
philofab
Basura Blanca
Posts: 5643
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
Location: Bullhead, AZ
Contact:

Re: Coilover Bolt Size?

Post by philofab »

yikes wrote:I've got 9/16's fine thread grade 8's on hand with misaligns and locknuts. Trying to save $$ anywhere I can, but is that enough bolt for the beating I'm going to give this thing? Should I bump to 5/8"? These were purchased for shocks originally, not holding the whole damn thing up.
Proper misalignment spacers and double shear with all surfaces flat and true you should be fine with 1/2 grade 8. Go to F-911 bolts if your worried about it.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
User avatar
yikes
Founder
Posts: 4138
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:51 am
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff
Location: Yucaipa, CA

Re: Coilover Bolt Size?

Post by yikes »

Thanks fellas. That's peace of mind.
Post Reply