brakes < gofast.. power booster vs manual brakes.
Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:36 pm
Who knows what?
I'm doing something this week..
11 days away from race day
M
I'm doing something this week..
11 days away from race day
M
https://www.gofastbroncos.com/forum/
https://www.gofastbroncos.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6567
Thank you. I guess what I am asking if anybody has put a set of manual brakes on a fsb with stock front calipers and what was the outcome. I'm familiar with setting up brake systems, pedal length/ratio etc. My truck has a set of 4 piston brembos in the rear. The 1" factory master is close to working for both front and rear sets of calipers.300 wrote:If you are doing race only I would recommend manual brakes, but not exactly sure if that is what you are asking. Dual master cylinders with a balance bar system. Need to be able to adjust the bias front to back when racing. Look at how they do it for circle track cars. It will take more leg than a booster will, especially if you are using stock sized rotors on a FSB.
Do you have a pic of the bracket you used to do this? Did you weld to the spindle or put a bracket over the spindle?Wrightracing.net wrote:I am putting is hydro boost from a 1 ton truck on my Bronco. I am doing it for two reasons. Make room for suspension and cage in the engine compartment and to give me more power to the oem front brakes rotors. I am going to run disks in rear and a proportioning valve for front to rear. I do want to upgrade calipers but not sure yet. A trick a friend told me about, was to use 6 piston Toyota Tundra calipers on the Bronco. Cheap yet good shopping.
What year Tundras have 6 piston calipers? I've seen 4 piston models but not 6 piston versions.Wrightracing.net wrote:A trick a friend told me about, was to use 6 piston Toyota Tundra calipers on the Bronco. Cheap yet good shopping.
What Tundra calipers have piston areas that are nearly twice the size of T-Bird calipers and 3/4-1 ton truck calipers?arse_sidewards wrote:Yeah, the tundra calipers are massive, over 8000mm^2 piston area each, which is nearly double the stock 4185mm^2. The Tbird calipers are 4776mm^2 and the 54mm dual pistons that the 90s 3/4 and 1ton trucks and a heck of a lot of other vehicles use is 47575mm^2.
and bracket.
x2toddz69 wrote:What year Tundras have 6 piston calipers? I've seen 4 piston models but not 6 piston versions.
Smart Alex wrote:Agree with steve. Toyota brakes are definitely boat anchor heavy. I'm looking to lighten up everything I can.
So no one here has put manual brakes on their bronco and used it yet? There has to be at least a couple.
Rockauto says 07-14 uses ~50.8mm (2") quad piston according to the Raybestos website. The pics make it look like the pads mount within the caliper and the only bracket needed is one with two holes for the caliper to mount to. I can't tell if they're aluminum or painted steel, aluminum would be lighter but any vehicle sold with a warranty and/or sold to average consumers should probably have steel for it's durability (and price) and since we're more concerned about size and durability than weight or cooling IMO steel is superior for what we do.toddz69 wrote:What Tundra calipers have piston areas that are nearly twice the size of T-Bird calipers and 3/4-1 ton truck calipers?arse_sidewards wrote:Yeah, the tundra calipers are massive, over 8000mm^2 piston area each, which is nearly double the stock 4185mm^2. The Tbird calipers are 4776mm^2 and the 54mm dual pistons that the 90s 3/4 and 1ton trucks and a heck of a lot of other vehicles use is 47575mm^2.
and bracket.
Todd Z.
Those are the ones I've been researching and have a little familarity with - they're steel and I agree that we're a little less concerned with mass than road racers, for example. Those have a piston area of just over 4,000 sq. mm (you only use the piston area on one side of the caliper for brake calcs) so I think they would be a good candidate depending on whether a bracket could be easily fabricated.arse_sidewards wrote:Rockauto says 07-14 uses ~50.8mm (2") quad piston according to the Raybestos website. The pics make it look like the pads mount within the caliper and the only bracket needed is one with two holes for the caliper to mount to. I can't tell if they're aluminum or painted steel, aluminum would be lighter but any vehicle sold with a warranty and/or sold to average consumers should probably have steel for it's durability (and price) and since we're more concerned about size and durability than weight or cooling IMO steel is superior for what we do.
To answer that question, yes we are using the stock Bronco calipers in the front and non powered manual brake masters. It does work and has worked successfully for 14 years but takes a lot of leg pressure. Smaller master cylinder would help but you can run out of pedal by going to small. Residual pressure valves would help but we end up pumping them some times to get decent pedal. I would never use this system on something that wasn't for race only. Used to use GM calipers on the back but have since switched to Wilwood 4 piston calipers.Smart Alex wrote:Thank you. I guess what I am asking if anybody has put a set of manual brakes on a fsb with stock front calipers and what was the outcome.300 wrote:If you are doing race only I would recommend manual brakes, but not exactly sure if that is what you are asking. Dual master cylinders with a balance bar system. Need to be able to adjust the bias front to back when racing. Look at how they do it for circle track cars. It will take more leg than a booster will, especially if you are using stock sized rotors on a FSB.
You're confusing them with floating calipers which effectively double the piston area because the force acts on both sides of the rotor. Any caliper with pistons on both sides is not a floating caliper 99.999% of the time (because having pistons on both sides accomplishes the same task. The area is 8000mm, it's just not the massive upgrade over everything else that it sounds like.toddz69 wrote:you only use the piston area on one side of the caliper for brake calcs
Todd Z.
There's no confusion - I'm well aware of the differences between floating and fixed calipers. And yes, the total piston area is about 8000 sq. mm. My point was that when calculating piston clamping forces in braking calculations, you don't get to count the total surface area of all the pistons in fixed caliper with pistons on both sides of the rotor, i.e. the Toyota calipers don't exert ~2X the clamping forces of the single piston calipers you mentioned in your prior post.arse_sidewards wrote:You're confusing them with floating calipers which effectively double the piston area because the force acts on both sides of the rotor. Any caliper with pistons on both sides is not a floating caliper 99.999% of the time (because having pistons on both sides accomplishes the same task. The area is 8000mm, it's just not the massive upgrade over everything else that it sounds like.toddz69 wrote:you only use the piston area on one side of the caliper for brake calcs
Todd Z.
Lol holy Grail. And no more 11 days. 9 days.Clean Racing INC. wrote:M.
What size wheel and tire combo are you running? I am guessing that the hub/rotor combo are stock dimension ford?
I would personally would not change a brake set up on a car with 11 days before the event. I usually do that development stuff in the off season. Also what kind of budget are you setting for the holy grail of brakes? A lot could be gained in the compound of the brake pads as well...
Just my thoughts.. Not worth much..