BRONCO PRERUNNER BUILD QUESTIONS

robjs111
Bronco Info: 1998 F150 , Bronco in Progress

BRONCO PRERUNNER BUILD QUESTIONS

Post by robjs111 »

Planning to build a Bronco prerunner and my question is should I start from scratch or build on a running roadworthy Bronco? Have a 1988 Bronco chassis minus engine/trans, interior. Also have been looking for 92 - 96 Bronco's for a decent price to build upon and to have a running vehicle. Do not need Bronco for a DD, etc so I am leaning towards starting from scratch and building off chassis that I have. Mods I have in minds are:

Interior prerunner cage
Engine cage
Front and rear prerunner bumpers
I beams with upper/lower uniballs, wilwoods, 2 inch over pr side
radius arms
core support
96 style dash
C notch rear
Front/rear tube seat brackets
3 inch king coilovers up front/3 inch triple bypass in rear
Fab 9 inch with wilwoods
Deavers
Swing steer

Most of the bolt on parts I have already. No motor or trans yet but will go with 351w and AOD.

What do you guys think??
Thanks.
Polarcub
Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 95 XLT still in the shop........

Re: BRONCO PRERUNNER BUILD QUESTIONS

Post by Polarcub »

Both methods have their advantaes. I fyou have all the parts and pices togehter and know you wont get stuck with a half built toy then build of the chassis you have. If you know it will be a slow build and want to play as you go I say use the driver. Just my 2 cents.
Jeremy
towerace1

Post by towerace1 »

Check out my build in the rides section under 1986 bronco. I started with a cheep piece of crap. It has taken me a year to get it to where it is today. A year and about $13-14k! Now I can say that the large purchases like suspension. Motor things like that are not what kills the account, it's all the little crap that will break the bank with a full build. The positive is that you know and controll all that has to be done. I now know that the motor,tranny,suspension,interior,seats all of it is new to that bronco. All of the wiring and everything is new... With that being said, if I did it again, I would buy a nice running bronco and add to it. Good luck with whatever you do and keep us posted!
robjs111

Post by robjs111 »

Yes I think you could be right, especially speaking from experience. Building upon a rolling chassis is kinda daunting if you really ponder it for a while. Having a running Bronco to start is nice just due to the fact you can take her out after each mod/ upgrade has been completed. Also will check out your build pics. Thanks for your advice.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Having done it both ways I would definitely do the running truck method.

That is kind of the plan with my supercab - although I do have to get it running 1st as when I bought it the thing was not drivable. I just don't want it to turn into what my ranger did though so the idea is to get it running and build it bit by bit - still being able to play with it in between build stages.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:Having done it both ways I would definitely do the running truck method.

That is kind of the plan with my supercab - although I do have to get it running 1st as when I bought it the thing was not drivable. I just don't want it to turn into what my ranger did though so the idea is to get it running and build it bit by bit - still being able to play with it in between build stages.

I agree on this one....... I can not claim I have bought a non running project.....however many friends have, and some of them, years later, are still non running. The fact that you can play with it in between mods and upgrades will keep you interested in it!
Jasonj105
Bronco Info: 1989 Bronco, 5.8, C6

Post by Jasonj105 »

When I bought mine it moved, or crawled but definetly didnt run. lol. Ive been working on it for over a year and I have only driven like 45 min. If I was to do it again, I would try to get one that ran, and atleast had most of the parts to start with. Its alot harder to fix someone elses hack job, then to start with a decent fatory set up.
We Might As Well Give Up And Run, If We Let Them Take Our God And Guns
robjs111

Post by robjs111 »

What do you think of the red 96 Bronco here on GFB's? Has lots of miles, issues but it is workable.

http://www.gofastbroncos.com/forum/view ... f=27&t=547
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

I bought a beautiful runner, original owner, ford dealer serviced. THe last service before it was parked for 4 years was for $2700 at Ford for a big tune up, fluid changes, and manual hub install and some other little things. It was a steal and I was stoked to buy it...but I have put the same $ amount in OEM replacement parts replacing stuff that crapped out or was going to due to sitting so long than I have put in suspension(granted my suspensions was a steal). I am still happy with my purchase but it doesnt matter what you buy as a runner, these trucks are old and need stuff replaced if you plan on relying on it to get you out of the middle of nowhere again and again. I would plan on putting $1500 into anything you buy for routine service parts. Belt, hoses, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, thermostat, battery, fuel pump, fuel filter, brakes, radiator, PCV, vacum hoses, window switches, are some of the things I replaced. Still to buy...ignition module and coil.

What I had planned to build in 2 weeks has been sidelined by mechanical issues that have come up along the way but when I am all said and done I will post costs/parts replaced etc for my project. I would much rather have my issues come up now while im driving to and from work than when im 200 miles south of the border.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

robjs111 wrote:What do you think of the red 96 Bronco here on GFB's? Has lots of miles, issues but it is workable.

http://www.gofastbroncos.com/forum/view ... f=27&t=547
Offer her $1500.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
bajascott
My belly is my best friend
Bronco Info: its black, its fun to drive,and i dont have enough money to build it the way i want to!:)

Post by bajascott »

i have been working on mine for almost 3 years.
i just got back from a very long off road trip,and after cleaning it out,i have to go grocery shopping and take my kids to their things.
i have done upgrades and drove it work the next day. it is my DD.
if you plan well and take care of potential problems first, i would suggest the build of a road worthy bronco from the start.
i know from experiance that with a ground up build,you can loose track and get side tracked to the point of abandonment.
FRONT YARD FABRICATION
http://ssfab-n-offroad.com/