Floor Shifter in a 96???

VintageIronFab
Posts: 2338
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 12:25 am
Bronco Info: Bronco List:
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Floor Shifter in a 96???

Post by VintageIronFab »

Hello All,
I have been wondering this for awhile now. Being that I have a 96 with OBD II how or would it cause any issues to run a Winters shifter? To me you hunt the salvage yards til you find a good late model manual trans column, swap out to the manual column, fab whatever type of console or mount for the shifter and go. Unfortunately I have no doubts that is certainly not the case. Do you need a manual speedo or some other part from the manual trans to make all this work properly? Here is a pic of the old red Rough Riders F150 that Steve Oliges (sp) owns-- this is how Stewart Raceworks did the install years ago and I still like it today and what I was thinking of doing in mine- provided its not a total nightmare!

Thanks,
Matt
Attachments
Shifter Console4.jpg
Shifter Console4.jpg (111.86 KiB) Viewed 1362 times
User avatar
Andy Jones
Posts: 2209
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:47 pm
Bronco Info: In the Works!
Location: Canyon Lake,ca
Contact:

Re: Floor Shifter in a 96???

Post by Andy Jones »

Buy the shifter and mount it. It's no different from the shifter you have on the column .
cs_drums
Posts: 2912
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:39 am
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Re: Floor Shifter in a 96???

Post by cs_drums »

I love mine. I just took the shift arm off the collumn. Installed the art carr and a punisher valvebody. Love it, firm shifts when I want them.
Gilbee01
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:57 pm
Bronco Info: 1996 bronco EB

Re: Floor Shifter in a 96???

Post by Gilbee01 »

Now where to get the center console like that. ?? Does fiber fab do this type?
User avatar
Andy Jones
Posts: 2209
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:47 pm
Bronco Info: In the Works!
Location: Canyon Lake,ca
Contact:

Re: Floor Shifter in a 96???

Post by Andy Jones »

Get creative with your imagination ! You can make one out of metal or wood, or buy a fiberwerx center consul. you'll still need a fabricated internal design.
Rmc
El Jefe
Posts: 6028
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:22 pm
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner
Location: IE SoCal
Contact:

Re: Floor Shifter in a 96???

Post by Rmc »

Yes buy the shifter and mount it. 2 things to keep in mind though, both winters and art Carr shifters have a gate location error and you will need to notch and re lock the shift selector switch on the side of the trans. Also be aware you'll need to swap valve bodies to full manual with a stall convertor ( shock I don't think is possible) to achieve full manual shifting. If you just add the gate style and switch mod it will act exactly the same as the column you have now. Look for a website called monster transmission. Com, I believe they may sell a dummy plug to jumper out all trans signals to not freak the computer out if you decide to do a trans swap to achieve the full manual control the gate set up is commonly used for.
cs_drums
Posts: 2912
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:39 am
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Re: Floor Shifter in a 96???

Post by cs_drums »

Roberts right about not being full manual but it's still night and day difference being semi manual. It will hold the gear you in unless you don't down shift before the computer says so.
User avatar
Andy Jones
Posts: 2209
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:47 pm
Bronco Info: In the Works!
Location: Canyon Lake,ca
Contact:

Re: Floor Shifter in a 96???

Post by Andy Jones »

I didn't have to do anything like that with my pops winters shifter Robert . Followed the detailed directions and it shifted firmly and fine.
User avatar
Andy Jones
Posts: 2209
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:47 pm
Bronco Info: In the Works!
Location: Canyon Lake,ca
Contact:

Re: Floor Shifter in a 96???

Post by Andy Jones »

I forget who it is. but there is a manual valve body out there, that tricks the transmission into staying locked in all gears. Culhane was using them for the E4OD.
User avatar
Andy Jones
Posts: 2209
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:47 pm
Bronco Info: In the Works!
Location: Canyon Lake,ca
Contact:

Re: Floor Shifter in a 96???

Post by Andy Jones »

I'll ask him when I see him tonight
VintageIronFab
Posts: 2338
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 12:25 am
Bronco Info: Bronco List:
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Floor Shifter in a 96???

Post by VintageIronFab »

What I would want would be this-- I just hate the column shift in the dirt so the semi manual is just fine. The Punisher VB would be nice- Ive built a C4 in the past but never been into an OD trans. I figured if you wanted you could just mount the OD button on the console some place to allow the manual column to be used. The thought of being able to drop down into 2nd gear and hold it there for a bit would be killer. Having it move to OD is just flat out annoying.
Rmc
El Jefe
Posts: 6028
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:22 pm
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner
Location: IE SoCal
Contact:

Re: Floor Shifter in a 96???

Post by Rmc »

Andy Jones wrote:I forget who it is. but there is a manual valve body out there, that tricks the transmission into staying locked in all gears. Culhane was using them for the E4OD.
Interesting... Yes please do Andy. If its possible that will be on my to do list very shortly as I already have a winters shifter.
User avatar
RyanDS650X
Posts: 1868
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:13 am
Bronco Info: Autofab '96 XLT 5.8
Location: Mesa, AZ
Contact:

Re: Floor Shifter in a 96???

Post by RyanDS650X »

Rmc wrote:
Andy Jones wrote:I forget who it is. but there is a manual valve body out there, that tricks the transmission into staying locked in all gears. Culhane was using them for the E4OD.
Interesting... Yes please do Andy. If its possible that will be on my to do list very shortly as I already have a winters shifter.
X2
cs_drums
Posts: 2912
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:39 am
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Re: Floor Shifter in a 96???

Post by cs_drums »

X3
cs_drums
Posts: 2912
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:39 am
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Re: Floor Shifter in a 96???

Post by cs_drums »

I took the button out of the stock column shift and hole sawed a spot for it right below my shifter
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398559192.038701.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398559192.038701.jpg (135.62 KiB) Viewed 1323 times
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398559225.686939.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398559225.686939.jpg (197.57 KiB) Viewed 1323 times
VintageIronFab
Posts: 2338
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 12:25 am
Bronco Info: Bronco List:
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Floor Shifter in a 96???

Post by VintageIronFab »

CS -- so basically your trans has no idea if you have a floor shifter in the cab or not with the button in there. In the dirt you just push the button and you have a 3 speed and then just shift it whenever you want-- leave it in D with the OD on and everything is the same.
cs_drums
Posts: 2912
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:39 am
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Re: Floor Shifter in a 96???

Post by cs_drums »

Yeah. In 3 on the art Carr it's just normal D on the column. When I hit the dirt I push off the OD drop down into first and go. The only time you would notice it not bring full manual is if you were to get into it with out down shifting sbd then you just need to learn your power and better haha
Jbfab
Posts: 251
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:30 pm
Bronco Info: 94 centurion bronco 5.8/zf many mods more all the time.

Re: Floor Shifter in a 96???

Post by Jbfab »

As for the colum all you truely need is the two plastic peices below the steering wheel. When i did my zf swap i just removed the shift linkage from the top side of the colum and installed the two plastics. Call me cheap :)
VintageIronFab
Posts: 2338
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 12:25 am
Bronco Info: Bronco List:
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Floor Shifter in a 96???

Post by VintageIronFab »

So if you want a cleaner look-- you keep the auto column, ditch the shifter part and then just add some of the manual plastic pieces to effectively make a manual column.
User avatar
Wrightracing.net
Posts: 2235
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:58 pm
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.
Location: San Diego
Contact:

Re: Floor Shifter in a 96???

Post by Wrightracing.net »

If you have a manual transfer case you can go to a cable shifter for 4wd. I'm thinking I might put my levers next to each other on the center console.
[attachment=-1]uploadfromtaptalk1398659614308.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1398659614308.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1398659614308.jpg (79.95 KiB) Viewed 1259 times
Post Reply