Air Intake systems
-
JA_gonzalez
- Posts: 115
- Joined: Sun May 12, 2013 2:39 am
- Bronco Info: 95 F150 4x4 only has a 6in lift soon getting some solo Motorsports radius arms and
Air Intake systems
I am currently looking to buy a new set up for my air filter and wanted some feed back from the go fast crew on your experiences I have a couple options like the k&n filter intake system or UMP with k&n filter or the advanced air clean systems filters the truck is a 95 f150 5.0 and will be used in the desert mostly not really worried for ca smog legal stuff so any recommendations welcomed thanks
- ChaseTruck754
- Spy/Ninja
- Posts: 9194
- Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
- Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
- Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Re: Air Intake systems
For filters I'd look at an oil-less system vs. an oiled one like K/N.
Re: Air Intake systems
Stock flows plenty. Spend your money elsewhere.
-
-JD5353-
- Posts: 110
- Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:26 pm
- Bronco Info: 1992 EB, current build, 44/50 beams, 10.5 axle, 6BT swap, gofast
- Location: Jamul, CA
Re: Air Intake systems
My truck came with a K&N and while the plastic intake is fine the oiled filter IMO is a junk design and after attempting to use them on this truck and race cars I'm over it. I much perfer dry filter media. I am now running paper filters on all and not a single problem. I run a 6637 filter on my power stroke and it's fantastic so I'm going to do a UMP style intake with that on the bronco. In all I would not ever pay for the K&N ether. Not worth it.
- Wrightracing.net
- Posts: 2235
- Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:58 pm
- Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.
- Location: San Diego
- Contact:
Re: Air Intake systems
Are there any smog legality issues with running a UMP because they are not CARB approved. If you are in California?
-
Rmc
- El Jefe
- Posts: 6028
- Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:22 pm
- Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner
- Location: IE SoCal
- Contact:
Re: Air Intake systems
Depending on the smog tech yes.Wrightracing.net wrote:Are there any smog legality issues with running a UMP because they are not CARB approved. If you are in California?
-
Rmc
- El Jefe
- Posts: 6028
- Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:22 pm
- Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner
- Location: IE SoCal
- Contact:
Re: Air Intake systems
Ump will fail the visual. I was told that by one guy once when I was using an aftermarket non carb filter he wouldn't smog me because its not carb approved or factory. The shop straight across the street from him said I don't care if you even run a filter or not, it's your car. So clearly it depends on the tech.
-
JA_gonzalez
- Posts: 115
- Joined: Sun May 12, 2013 2:39 am
- Bronco Info: 95 F150 4x4 only has a 6in lift soon getting some solo Motorsports radius arms and
Re: Air Intake systems
I was thinking something like this I'm not sure what canister is being used but I like the setup
- Attachments
-
- uploadfromtaptalk1395424890825.jpg (120.66 KiB) Viewed 2195 times
- BDKW1
- Posts: 1518
- Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:19 pm
- Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!
- Location: Not Socal
Re: Air Intake systems
Rmc wrote:Ump will fail the visual. I was told that by one guy once when I was using an aftermarket non carb filter he wouldn't smog me because its not carb approved or factory. The shop straight across the street from him said I don't care if you even run a filter or not, it's your car. So clearly it depends on the tech.
My buddy with the T100 has a UMP on it, has passed smog 3 times in 7 years. No issue. Also has fuel cell, but all the stock evap stuff is hooked up to it. Even stock cap.
-
cs_drums
- Posts: 2912
- Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:39 am
- Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished
Re: Air Intake systems
I was planning on running that set up when I have the do to re-do mine. I have a K&N and it is caked after 10 min in the dirt.JA_gonzalez wrote:I was thinking something like this I'm not sure what canister is being used but I like the setup
- ChaseTruck754
- Spy/Ninja
- Posts: 9194
- Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
- Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
- Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Re: Air Intake systems
Brian - it all depends on how "friendly" (or rather not a nazi a-hole)the smog tech is. Law says "no CARB # then it's a no go", but good people don't uphold the smog checks to that level of absurdity.BDKW1 wrote:Rmc wrote:Ump will fail the visual. I was told that by one guy once when I was using an aftermarket non carb filter he wouldn't smog me because its not carb approved or factory. The shop straight across the street from him said I don't care if you even run a filter or not, it's your car. So clearly it depends on the tech.
My buddy with the T100 has a UMP on it, has passed smog 3 times in 7 years. No issue. Also has fuel cell, but all the stock evap stuff is hooked up to it. Even stock cap.
-
Drew
- Posts: 216
- Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:56 pm
- Bronco Info: Just picked up a 95 bronco stock. Ready to make it go fast....lol
- Location: Hemet
Re: Air Intake systems
Filter at napa 45.00 3 1/2 tube 15.00 done and done.
- RyanDS650X
- Posts: 1868
- Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:13 am
- Bronco Info: Autofab '96 XLT 5.8
- Location: Mesa, AZ
- Contact:
Re: Air Intake systems
I would love to see somebody incorporate the factory cold air intake scoop into their custom intake set up. Taking hot under hood there directly into the intake just never made sense to me...
-
Jbfab
- Posts: 251
- Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:30 pm
- Bronco Info: 94 centurion bronco 5.8/zf many mods more all the time.
Re: Air Intake systems
When i built mine i figured it right at the height of the factory duct so the hot air wouldnt be a factor. I also have not installed inner wheel wells yet so my engine bay isnt hot.
-
shockseals.com
- Posts: 1116
- Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:50 am
- Location: San Dimas
- Contact:
Re: Air Intake systems
Is anybody running an OEM filter set up from a different vehicle adapted for the 351? 80 series land cruiser looks like a nice option with a silt canister that can be dumped. Any other centrifugal OEM filter housings out there easily adaptable with round inlet/outlet?
- Attachments
-
- DSC03509.JPG (106.54 KiB) Viewed 1902 times





