Ranger Rear Suspension

User avatar
johncharlesb
Posts: 510
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:59 pm
Bronco Info: 1962 f100, 1995 Bronco

Ranger Rear Suspension

Post by johncharlesb »

I was looking at some tech on using, cough, chevy 1500 64 inch rear springs on a Ranger. Can any of you knowledgable gentleman offer me some input on these? It appeared some were using the stock springs, but Deaver upgrades are easy too.

Admin Edit: In order to keep from straying off-topic, this post was removed from the "Start Your Go-Fast Build-Rear Suspension" thread.
Dust
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:41 pm
Bronco Info: Go Slow Ford's From 1957 to 1994
Location: Central Oregon

Re: Ranger Rear suspension

Post by Dust »

johncharlesb wrote:I was looking at some tech on using, cough, chevy 1500 64 inch rear springs on a Ranger. Can any of you knowledgable gentleman offer me some input on these? It appeared some were using the stock springs, but Deaver upgrades are easy too.

Admin Edit: In order to keep from straying off-topic, this post was removed from the "Start Your Go-Fast Build-Rear Suspension" thread.
This is a good question!
Deavers (or any other quality built spring) obviously are desirable, they also carry a price tag and in this economy...
If you are running a (Nom) 4" lift and obviously "blocks" would be dumb what are the options.
For example I could Fabricate the hangers to locate the above referenced springs for less $$$ then any aftermarket (new) spring pack, thus I would have more $$ for shocks!!
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: Ranger Rear suspension

Post by SteveG »

A friend of mine used to have a pretty fast Toyota with Chevy leaves. It worked darn well for what it was. Personally, rather than spend all the time doing R&D and ending up with marginal results I'd rather spend the extra coin (and a lot less time) and bolt on a good set of leaves. If you buy used you can save a lot of money. Or, you could buy a mini-pack from Deaver and keep your main leaf... less money, still bolt-on and predictable results.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
User avatar
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Posts: 9194
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Re: Ranger Rear suspension

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

I'm gonna test the 64" chevy leaf deal when I start messing with the 74 supercab. From what I have seen on the F series and other trucks the 64" stuff works pretty good.

I've read a bit about them on D/rangers and other spots and then I've got a buddy who runs stock 64" chevy pack on his 75 F-350 that is a mud/rock toy. He LOVES um and I can see why. The ride is great, the flex is there, the capacity is there if/when he tows, etc.

I've got some 5" "lift" 64" springs (I think procomp) for a chevy that I'm going to throw on my 74 crew cab to try and eliminate the factory 4" block.

I also grabbed a set of the deaver 4" lift springs for a 2500 chevy that I am planning on running on the 74 supercab when I get around to that. These packs might get switched from truck to truck depending on spring rates in either pack. I did get both packs used and for decent prices though, so I'm thinking it'll be worth while to test um out. Plus I can use stock spring hangers on them. The thing I'm not sure about is how the stock shackle will work out. I'm pretty sure I'll be making a pair.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: Ranger Rear suspension

Post by SteveG »

I was thinking he was looking into using stock Chevy truck leaves. Used long travel leaves would probably work great considering how long they are.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
User avatar
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Posts: 9194
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Re: Ranger Rear suspension

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Yeah - there wasn't a clarification in the 1st post, so I made sure to mention my stuff was used "aftermarket" stuff.

I have read that stock chevy leafs, when re-arched a bit do pretty well on a ranger for cheap. Especially if you start messing with changing around the smaller/other springs in the leafpack. No personal experience with that yet though.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
User avatar
bajascott
My belly is my best friend
Posts: 2006
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:29 pm
Bronco Info: its black, its fun to drive,and i dont have enough money to build it the way i want to!:)
Location: southern oregon
Contact:

Re: Ranger Rear suspension

Post by bajascott »

i have not used the chevy springs,but on my 77 extra cab i had, i mixed and matched,ford,chevy and jeep cherokee leafs and got a little lift and it worked suprizingly well with a 14" shock, i got 14" of travel.
i have thought about doing the chevy leafs on my bronco,but im still scratching my head on links vs leafs.
i know a few guys however that have done the conversion on their rangers,and swore by it,but they had american spring in flagstaff az re arch and add a few leafs.
honestly,how hard could it be to re arch the springs? its not done with heat,its done on a simple slip roll.if you know the radius you want and have access to and are savy with sheetmetal rolls(a machine that could roll 1/4") you could do it for nothing........
am i wrong?
FRONT YARD FABRICATION
http://ssfab-n-offroad.com/
User avatar
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Posts: 9194
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Re: Ranger Rear suspension

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

You're right.

Guys on D/rangers and other sites are doing the re-arching with bottle jack type setups. If I did it I call on a buddy who seems to have a lot of neat machinery. Including a slip roll that will do a 1/2" thick plate by 4' long or more :o
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
User avatar
bajascott
My belly is my best friend
Posts: 2006
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:29 pm
Bronco Info: its black, its fun to drive,and i dont have enough money to build it the way i want to!:)
Location: southern oregon
Contact:

Re: Ranger Rear suspension

Post by bajascott »

well excuse me mr i have more tools than i know what to do with.........
i was being easy on the roll thing there, i can do that 1/2" x4' :o :lol:
FRONT YARD FABRICATION
http://ssfab-n-offroad.com/
User avatar
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Posts: 9194
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Re: Ranger Rear Suspension

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

hey now - I know what to do with MOST of my tools!

A slip roll is something I don't have yet :cry: Though it is on my list!


My buddy however does have more tools than I know what to do with. He sure as heck knows what to do with them though ;) When I saw the slip roll show up it blew my mind. Even more so than when his 50 ton, 10' press brake showed up, and than when his "crown" roller that will do I beam stuff showed up...

If I remember right the roll is rated at 3/4" for a couple feet. They tested some 1/2" stuff on it for fun. It's big enough to do 10' long or so :o

OOH - I found a pic!
That is it behind my old room mates '29 (which I TIG welded on for HOURS - taking time away from my ranger). That dash on the '29 is they one the did for a customers 70 Bronco
Attachments
1 071.jpg
1 071.jpg (93.18 KiB) Viewed 2887 times
Last edited by ChaseTruck754 on Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
User avatar
bajascott
My belly is my best friend
Posts: 2006
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:29 pm
Bronco Info: its black, its fun to drive,and i dont have enough money to build it the way i want to!:)
Location: southern oregon
Contact:

Re: Ranger Rear Suspension

Post by bajascott »

haha cool.
back to topic though, i think i am going to mess around this a little bit.....g=kids are back in school next week, so i might hit the junk yard and head to the shop and play a bit....
FRONT YARD FABRICATION
http://ssfab-n-offroad.com/
User avatar
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Posts: 9194
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Re: Ranger Rear Suspension

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

worth the read if you can wade through the BS
http://www.dezertrangers.com/vb/showthr ... chevy+leaf
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
User avatar
johncharlesb
Posts: 510
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:59 pm
Bronco Info: 1962 f100, 1995 Bronco

Re: Ranger Rear Suspension

Post by johncharlesb »

I was looking at using these on a f100. There are a couple of options being stock, re-arch, summit/procomp lift for cheap ($170?) , or high end springs. I am interested in results with those re-arched setups if I can avoid the big dollars. If i have to buy springs, why not 64" spings. I do not worry about making or moving hangers and building shackles, been there. This is a mild build with plans of good shock mounts and 5100s. My current springs are 50" or so.

Thanks for the tech, you boys know your stuff.
User avatar
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Posts: 9194
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Re: Ranger Rear Suspension

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Put some pics of the F-100 in the 'non bronco' section of the rides forum. We're all suckers for F-100's here. Well, I am for damn sure and most others seem to agree.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
User avatar
johncharlesb
Posts: 510
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:59 pm
Bronco Info: 1962 f100, 1995 Bronco

Re: Ranger Rear Suspension

Post by johncharlesb »

Yes, F100s are nice. I will have to post some build pics with those springs. Should I pull all the overload thick short leaves?
User avatar
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Posts: 9194
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Re: Ranger Rear Suspension

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

If it's a dirt only truck (or will never heave a load in the bed) - then most likely yes. Post up some pics of the leaves 1st though so we can clarify which ones you are talking about.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
User avatar
johncharlesb
Posts: 510
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:59 pm
Bronco Info: 1962 f100, 1995 Bronco

Re: Ranger Rear Suspension

Post by johncharlesb »

I went though some of the information and this is what I gleaned.

The Springs are 62-64 inches. They are off the 88-98 gm 1500s. They used thicker springs on 98- trucks. The 2wd trucks use 4 leaves including one overload. The 4wds used 5 leaves including one overload. The 2wd springs are the ones most people use.

The springs are used in stock configuration or can be rebuilt with different leaves from other trucks. Many are running the single gm leaf and F150 and/or jeep lower packs, the thinner springs are preferred for travel.

People are using these leaves in different vehicles/setups for different types of trails, rocks, or desert.

Most are rearching the springs 7-14 inches if you measured from the line between the ends down to the axle. They are rearching at your local spring shop, although they have some "alternatives".

You can get a bfh and bang the spring between two anvils or in the depression of a train rail. Wear gloves and hearing protection, then apoloigize to the neighbors.

The better is build or purchase a press and move the spring down the line pressing it into shape with multiple small pushes instead of one big bend.
I will post pics next.

John
User avatar
johncharlesb
Posts: 510
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:59 pm
Bronco Info: 1962 f100, 1995 Bronco

Re: Ranger Rear Suspension

Post by johncharlesb »

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
johncharlesb
Posts: 510
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:59 pm
Bronco Info: 1962 f100, 1995 Bronco

Re: Ranger Rear Suspension

Post by johncharlesb »

Image
User avatar
95_Bronco
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:09 am
Bronco Info: 95 Bronco Eddie Bauer

Re: Ranger Rear Suspension

Post by 95_Bronco »

johncharlesb wrote:Image

why does that shackle look like its on backwards??? :o
SMT Racing: Co-Dog
Post Reply