School me on aftermarket shifters. What are you using?
PW
E4OD Shifter
-
shockseals.com
- Posts: 1116
- Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:50 am
- Location: San Dimas
- Contact:
Re: E4OD Shifter
Use a winters with a micro switch so you just slap forward to 3rd and then can slap it to the right that kicks it into OD via microswitch. Thats what I plan on doing.PaulW wrote:School me on aftermarket shifters. What are you using?
PW
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
shockseals.com
Re: E4OD Shifter
=shockseals.com wrote:Use a winters with a micro switch so you just slap forward to 3rd and then can slap it to the right that kicks it into OD via microswitch. Thats what I plan on doing.PaulW wrote:School me on aftermarket shifters. What are you using?
PW
Correct. In fact I could live with a dash/console switch.
I did find http://www.artcarr.com/merchandise/d...573BC442DB9C42
Its problem is no neutral switch
But I would like to have the details on 'how to' by the guy Tim . Trouble is the guy and his links have disappeared. I will keep digging and try to find details.
Anyway he said:
The installation was pretty straightforward with the exception of the shift lever on the tranny. I couldn't find an aftermarket mfg. that made floor shifters for the 4R100/E4OD, so I had to buy one made for a C4/C6 and make it work. I ended up cutting the shifter lever on the tranny off and welding the end of one of the levers from the megashifter to the remains of the stock tranny lever. The B&M cable end won't work with the stock trans lever and the stock lever itself is too long for the detents on the ratchet mechanism to work properly. I ended up with a trans lever that was approx 5/8" shorter than I started. If you search in the Gen 1 (Lightning) section, you should find similar information from the few guys that have adapted a floor shifter to their E4OD. The nice thing about the conversion was that all of the gear indicator switches are located down at the trans lever so the back-up lights and park/neutral signal for PCM still all work without having to cobble something together with the micro switches included w/ the B&M. When I get home this evening, I will try to take a pic and post it to show what I have done.
-Tim
Here is a link to my F150online gallery with a few pics I just took of the floor shifter. F150online Gallery I don't necessarily like the black plastic surround that came with the B&M -- it looks kind of cheap and out of place. Last edited by Timbob; 02-23-2006 at 05:52 PM..
=========
I am not sure I can convince the wife to use the Art Carr unit. She has driven Chris' C6 and did not like it. The saving grace is if I keep the stock valve body then she won't have to shift, but I want a manual valve body.
Later, Paul
Re: E4OD Shifter
I had one on my ranger with an e40d and it was a easy install. The od is electronic so it will kick in automatically. I did keep the od off switch that was on the stack shifter and mounted it in the dash so I could turn the od off when ever I wanted to. I have one in the bronco now but it has an aod. Just about the same thing though.
Here is how mine is installed

Here is how mine is installed

Re: E4OD Shifter
[quote="towerace1"]I had one on my ranger with an e40d and it was a easy install. The od is electronic so it will kick in automatically. I did keep the od off switch that was on the stack shifter and mounted it in the dash so I could turn the od off when ever I wanted to. I have one in the bronco now but it has an aod. Just about the same thing though.
Here is how mine is installed.
=============
Nice.
Not quite the same since many companies make shifters for the AOD and just recently Art Carr decided to make one for the E4OD. The E4OD is a little tricky to adapt.
I have a B&M shifter on my AOD 72 Bronco and I like it. I will get to the 96 E4OD Bronco soon and probably will go with the rachet Quick Silver shifter from B&M.
Like your console. Tell me about the lever and what the switches are for. Also tell me about the construction of the console.
Thanks, Paul
Here is how mine is installed.
=============
Nice.
Not quite the same since many companies make shifters for the AOD and just recently Art Carr decided to make one for the E4OD. The E4OD is a little tricky to adapt.
I have a B&M shifter on my AOD 72 Bronco and I like it. I will get to the 96 E4OD Bronco soon and probably will go with the rachet Quick Silver shifter from B&M.
Like your console. Tell me about the lever and what the switches are for. Also tell me about the construction of the console.
Thanks, Paul
Re: E4OD Shifter
I have pictures of how we built it. Fairly easy to build, the switches are for the ingition, fuel pumps, running lights, headlight (three position switch off,low,and high) hid's(some day) radio,dome light,driver window,rear window and passenger window. The shifter is the stock 4wd shifter that we heated up and bent to fit in the consol. That way we dont have to have it hanging out of it. Them we just welded a t handle to it. There is also a sirius sat radio, and room for the future gps. All of the bronco wiring was ran through the switches so there is no need for anymore fuses. Everything goes through a circuit breaker above the switch it is for. Here are some pics...








Re: E4OD Shifter
It is just built out of sheet metal and small tube. My son climbs over it and on it all the time so it is strong. We then covered it with thick foam and wrapped it with tweed. Pretty easy, there is also an access panel on the driver side. It is easy to remove though, if it has to be. If you need anymore info let me know. Sorry to hijack your thread... Back to shifters people!!
