Strapping the front

User avatar
yikes
Founder
Posts: 4138
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:51 am
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff
Location: Yucaipa, CA

Strapping the front

Post by yikes »

Give me your thoughts on strapping the front end from inside of the coil. I was thinking of doing this because it would be a clean, simple set up, just not sure how well the strap would cycle. Do you think it would fold in between the coils? Has anyone done this successfully? It seems like a great way to go using an adjustable clevis. My thoughts on mounting were to weld a tab to the lower coil retainer and offset the upper mount, so access for the socket is not interrupted.
User avatar
gunit
Posts: 340
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:16 am
Location: Mesa, AZ

Re: Strapping the front

Post by gunit »

Brian
I used to own a 80's vintage class 8 truck built by Bill Stroppe. It was strapped as you describe. It is a clean simple way to go.
User avatar
yikes
Founder
Posts: 4138
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:51 am
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff
Location: Yucaipa, CA

Re: Strapping the front

Post by yikes »

Thanks Dave. If it worked on an 8, then it'll work for me.
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: Strapping the front

Post by SteveG »

Are you going to use an upper coil-spring retainer (not the cheesy J-clip type)? Will it get in the way of all this?
Sho nuff,
SteveG
User avatar
yikes
Founder
Posts: 4138
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:51 am
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff
Location: Yucaipa, CA

Re: Strapping the front

Post by yikes »

SteveG wrote:Are you going to use an upper coil-spring retainer (not the cheesy J-clip type)? Will it get in the way of all this?
Nope. I've got an idea for that as well. I can see it in my head, but it would be difficult to explain. Basically, socket access will not be necessary. The strap may go back to the center, the retainer will have a large hole in it and bolt through the top of the bucket via two 3/8" studs. It will mount onto the spring after the bottom is fastened, prior to placing it into the bucket, as will the strap.
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: Strapping the front

Post by SteveG »

Sounds good!
Sho nuff,
SteveG
User avatar
philofab
Basura Blanca
Posts: 5643
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
Location: Bullhead, AZ
Contact:

Re: Strapping the front

Post by philofab »

I though you were going C/O?
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
User avatar
yikes
Founder
Posts: 4138
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:51 am
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff
Location: Yucaipa, CA

Re: Strapping the front

Post by yikes »

philofab wrote:I though you were going C/O?
Well, I was, but somehow this old school thing has sucked me in. I'm looking forward to making this work....like I had coilovers. Haha!
User avatar
philofab
Basura Blanca
Posts: 5643
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
Location: Bullhead, AZ
Contact:

Re: Strapping the front

Post by philofab »

yikes wrote:
philofab wrote:I though you were going C/O?
Well, I was, but somehow this old school thing has sucked me in. I'm looking forward to making this work....like I had coilovers. Haha!
If you have enough clearance on top of the bucket you can use a clevis, spring, and thick washer to keep slack out of the strap. It would never touch the coil this way.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
Post Reply