Dual Spares

Travisfab
Bronco Info: 95 XLT 5.8 C6 Prerunner

Dual Spares

Post by Travisfab »

My Bronco handles so much better with a couple spares in my cargo area. Of course I'd like to gain a little more interior space, so I'm considering doing this setup. I'm just not sure if I like it yet, and especially with 37's! Any ideas?

I'd do something where they bolt in place (no straps) and they would hinge down to the ground to open the tail gate.
ESHALLBETTER
Bronco Info: 85 class 3, 70's somthing trail bronco.

Re: Dual Spares

Post by ESHALLBETTER »

I've always liked that set up on that explorer. I think it would be sweet on the bronco. I would make it a two piece though and swing each out to the side, I wouldn't want to lift the thing up and down.
Travisfab

Post by Travisfab »

ESHALLBETTER wrote:I've always liked that set up on that explorer. I think it would be sweet on the bronco. I would make it a two piece though and swing each out to the side, I wouldn't want to lift the thing up and down.

They only problem with the swing out style, is the extra space needed for the hinge and latch. Two 37's, almost touching, will cover about 1" of each tail light.
ESHALLBETTER

Post by ESHALLBETTER »

Tail light schmail light. I would build some brake lights into the bumper/tire rack. Either way it's going to look cool, I would just hate to have to lift 2-37" tires when I need to grab a beer out of the cooler in back! This isn't a DD correct? Not as big of a deal if it isn't used everyday.
ESHALLBETTER

Post by ESHALLBETTER »

I meant to attach this link for you if you do decide to pivot the assembly downward.

http://www.indgassprings.com/tension.html

It would be nice to mount a tension gas strut to help with some of the load. Similar to what Richer did on his old shop truck, just in reverse.
Travisfab

Post by Travisfab »

Yeah I was actually thinking about a strut. It's also not my daily driver
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

I don't really see the problem with the dual uprights touching in the middle & being side swung. The hinge (something like a trailer snout & hub I would assume) could go behind the tire if needed, but should be out of the way due to the radius on the tire - right?
For the latches - wouldn't they latch to the bumper & also be in the triangle created by tire's radius?

As for the tail lights being covered - 1" isn't a ton but it may be enough to get you a talking to from the man if you drive it on the road.
AussieRod
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.

Post by AussieRod »

Personally, I couldn't see myself carrying 2 spares, rather 1 spare, a puncture repair kit and compressor or OBA. If you HAVE to have 2 spares, why not have a spare inside on the left, and another on a stronger version of the factory tyre carrier on the outside? The weight woud be balanced left to tright, it frees up some space in the back and still gives you a secure spare if the outside one got stolen. ;)
ESHALLBETTER

Post by ESHALLBETTER »

It's nice when your chasing to be able to carry a spare for your rig and a spare for the race car. I would save the interior for people, gear, coolers, and parts you don't want stolen.
AussieRod
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.

Post by AussieRod »

ESHALLBETTER wrote:It's nice when your chasing to be able to carry a spare for your rig and a spare for the race car. I would save the interior for people, gear, coolers, and parts you don't want stolen.
Assuming the race car has a different wheel pattern, carrying the rig spare inside and the race spares outside sounds feasable.
ESHALLBETTER

Post by ESHALLBETTER »

AussieRod wrote:
ESHALLBETTER wrote:It's nice when your chasing to be able to carry a spare for your rig and a spare for the race car. I would save the interior for people, gear, coolers, and parts you don't want stolen.
Assuming the race car has a different wheel pattern, carrying the rig spare inside and the race spares outside sounds feasable.
But I want to see how cool the twin spares on the back looks, and that would derail my selfishness. :lol:
AussieRod

Post by AussieRod »

ESHALLBETTER wrote:
AussieRod wrote:
But I want to see how cool the twin spares on the back looks, and that would derail my selfishness. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Travisfab

Post by Travisfab »

AussieRod wrote:If you HAVE to have 2 spares, why not have a spare inside on the left, and another on a stronger version of the factory tyre carrier on the outside? The weight woud be balanced left to tright, it frees up some space in the back and still gives you a secure spare if the outside one got stolen. ;)
A 37 will not fit upright, or laid down between the tail gate and the back seat. The pic shows the only way I can carry spares at this point. I plan on doing LONG Baja trips, when you use your first spare, you have no spare! I'm going to have to play around with it to see how I can make it work. Trailer lights may have to happen.

SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

I really like the spare set up on that Explorer. Yeah, the lack of swinging carriers makes it a pain in the butt to open the hatch but it would be a lot harder to make it secure and strong enough. It's a trade off.

I'm thinking about making a similar set up to carry a gas can or two on my Explorer.
otter
Bronco Info: Currently in a holding pattern

Post by otter »

I have wanted to do dual spares on my Explorer and now my bronco. I think it looks awesome. Here's a fullsize with dual spares.
Attachments
wmreartires.jpg
wmreartires.jpg (37.38 KiB) Viewed 1571 times
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

That's a ramcharger right?
otter
Bronco Info: Currently in a holding pattern

Post by otter »

Yes
VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

I like the idea of the dual spare -- on that Ramcharger it looks pretty tough! I personally dont like the idea of the post swing away thing. If it wre
VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

If it were me I would make the pivots like this... http://protofab4x4.com/products.php?ID=00&ID2=56 -- reason being you dont risk that pivot snapping off-- which I have seen on an Early Bronco that only saw off-road trails not any long distance on rough roads at speed. I use oil impregnated bushings from mcmaster-carr to keep everything free. Protofab also sells the absolute very best bomb-proof cam latch on the market as well.
Cactus Cooler
Bronco Info: 90 Bronco EB EDITION

Post by Cactus Cooler »

So I found this pic on the Web and was thinking of building this into my rear bumper set up. Really liked the set up on the DODGE ....What do you guys think?
Attachments
c6b646a96bb7b75a6c8ded0bb9f019c8.jpg
c6b646a96bb7b75a6c8ded0bb9f019c8.jpg (18.77 KiB) Viewed 1385 times