Page 1 of 1

Roll Cages

Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:12 pm
by magic carpet XLT
So I'm starting to plan out my summer projects to do when the weather gets better and I can actually work outside. My roll cage needs serious attention, I just had a buddy with a bender help me knock it out in a weekend to get me through some years (at the time i thought i was gonna end up with a truggy anyway). I've finally realized that if i want to keep playing the way i do, I am gonna need a legit nose to tail cage to make my frame last. Also, I just don't feel safe mounting the seats to the stock floor mounts, they are just too hokey. I have been looking at the SCORE rulebook and those seem like the best guidelines to follow. Any pointers or experience you guys have would be great. The interior is already gutted aside from my supersweet dashboard, i don't want to compromise safety and longevity for retaining a piece of plastic. Everything that mounts to the dash can mount to a cage with a little creativity.

Does a SCORE inspection and tag cost money? I'm sure its not free...
Can it be used as a cert to show that you truly are a legit fabricator, not some shadetree? ie resume padder...
I don't plan on racing any series any time soon, will they inspect a non racer vehicle? I also dont want to rule out the possibility of racing in the future, but can't swing that kind of playing financially right now...

I know on the other site I talked shit about bushing mounted cages, but I think that might actually be the best solution for me.... :oops:

Re: Roll Cages

Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:37 pm
by 300
The SCORE inspection costs $250, and for that kind of money, I am sure they would inspect a skate board! They prefer you take it to Savage's shop in Vista by appointment, but they do it at all the races as well. The only place I have seen them use the magna flux is where ever they can reach from the driver's seat. They have no interest whatsoever in the bars and welds other than those required by the rules. You are on the right track to get another opinion on the safety of your cage, and the SCORE guidelines are good but very general source. If you could visit some fab shops and have them show you what to shoot for, it might be a better use of your money. An afternoon spent in Santee is priceless. Some may be more interested in selling you a cage they built, but should be capable of passing along hints in the name of safety. From there, you have a lifetime of tricks to learn.

Re: Roll Cages

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:47 pm
by Solo Motorsports 44
SCORE inspection is open to interpretation. Savage sent a guy to Solo in Covina to tag 2 Class 6 Rangers (Mind you these were both $65k & $90k race trucks each). they had us add -- what I thought was useless -- 3" gusset on C-piller inside cab. Yet he didn't notice that we weren't finished with cage underneath cab...He was there 10 minutes....

Re: Roll Cages

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:49 pm
by philofab
Solo Motorsports 44 wrote:SCORE inspection is open to interpretation. Savage sent a guy to Solo in Covina to tag 2 Class 6 Rangers (Mind you these were both $65k & $90k race trucks each). they had us add -- what I thought was useless -- 3" gusset on C-piller inside cab. Yet he didn't notice that we weren't finished with cage underneath cab...He was there 10 minutes....
I saw a class one/sportsman car local here that was score tagged, it had several tubes not fully welded and also visible cracks (they may have happened after inspection). I don't know that I would trust a tagged car more than a non tagged one. I do know it is worth more if you go to sell it.