Cam selection

Agui-E7TE
Bronco Info: 89 Bronco w/ 6 in. skyjacker kit w/ dual Bilstein 5150 shocks up front and Deaver F53's in the rear

Camshafts

Post by Agui-E7TE »

I'm as confused as anyone about cam selection when it comes to our Small Block Fords. I have heard mixed reviews about using the Ford Racing alphabet Cams so I'd like to hear what everyone thinks about either sticking with the blue oval cams or going with something else.

If you've had great results using the Ford cams or other cams, it would be nice to hear your thoughts on this.
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Re: Cam Selection choices

Post by philofab »

The stock Mustang cam is capable of over 400 horse in a 302.

Alphabet cams work great. E303 is worthless without a manual trans or a loose converter.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
Agui-E7TE
Bronco Info: 89 Bronco w/ 6 in. skyjacker kit w/ dual Bilstein 5150 shocks up front and Deaver F53's in the rear

Re: Compression and cam questions

Post by Agui-E7TE »

Thanks Philo! Any suggestions for the 351?
philofab
Basura Blanca

Re: Compression and cam questions

Post by philofab »

The cam needs to be matched to your heads, motor size, compression, and usage.

What is it going in? Gears? Trans? What heads? What type of injection or carb? Smog or no smog? Is low vacuum for accessories acceptable? Are you looking for power or economy? If power, are you looking for torque or HP a 4500 RPM?
Deleted Account
Bronco Info: depends on what day

Post by Deleted Account »

philofab wrote:The stock Mustang cam is capable of over 400 horse in a 302.

Alphabet cams work great. E303 is worthless without a manual trans or a loose converter.
yep.. i have one with a low stall and high gears..
AussieRod
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.

Post by AussieRod »

Isky Hyd Roller # 371257/265.
Agui-E7TE

Post by Agui-E7TE »

For me I'm going with a 393 stroker with flat top pistons and Edelbrock Vic Jr. heads with BBK 1 5/8 shorty headers and a Edelbrock 5.8 EFI Truck Intake. The compression ratio will be 9.5 to 1. Its going in my '89 Bronco and will bolt up to a C6. Gears would be 4.56. It will be fuel injected but I would be running a larger fuel pump and some 36 lbs./hr. injectors, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, and aftermarket fuel rail. I'd like to be able to pass smog with it. As far as vacuum, as long as there's enough for the power booster so I can still stop the truck. It would be meant for power and 10 mpg on the highway would be more than enough fuel economy. I want more torque than horsepower. I would probably never rev it passed 5800 RPM's.

Also, for a stock Bronco 5.8 that just has shorty headers, 4.56 gears, E4OD, 35s, underdrive pulleys, and a K&N intake....since this seams to be a common route many of us take. Obviously this one would be more for economy and smog legal but with just enough power to make it fun.
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

For the stock Bronco the factory roller Mustang cam works great. A lot of the Lightning guys swear by them.

I will be running a E303 on my 351 but I will be doing a custom tune on a EEC-IV ECM or just upgrade it to a aftermarket ECU that processes faster and has wideband capability.

The E303 would work for your stroker if you have a 2800+ stall converter. Be warned it will make lots of heat and require a lot of ECM tuning.

The A or B cam will result in better low end and will do ok with stock management.
Agui-E7TE

Post by Agui-E7TE »

Sweet! Thanks Philo! I guess I'll be sticking to an E303 cam. I had no idea that the stock Mustang HO cam would really help that much. I may have to give the mustang cam a shot before the 351 comes out of my Bronco unless I swap it in to my Dad's '56 F100 and try it there.

As far as the 2800 stall converter, would it hurt it if I used the stock converter?
Phoenix0783
Bronco Info: No more Bronco :(

Post by Phoenix0783 »

My car is a hybrid; it burns gas and rubber.
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

Agui-E7TE wrote:Sweet! Thanks Philo! I guess I'll be sticking to an E303 cam. I had no idea that the stock Mustang HO cam would really help that much. I may have to give the mustang cam a shot before the 351 comes out of my Bronco unless I swap it in to my Dad's '56 F100 and try it there.

As far as the 2800 stall converter, would it hurt it if I used the stock converter?
It won't hurt it but the E303 will make the engine fall on it's face and driveablity will suck.
Agui-E7TE

Post by Agui-E7TE »

would a 2800 stall converter still drive pretty decent on the street and highway? I plan on putting a Trans Go shift kit in my C6. Is it a really loose converter or does loose converter mean something else. I've always wondered about these things.
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

Agui-E7TE wrote:would a 2800 stall converter still drive pretty decent on the street and highway? I plan on putting a Trans Go shift kit in my C6. Is it a really loose converter or does loose converter mean something else. I've always wondered about these things.
A loose converter is a high stall as it allows the motor to run faster than the trans spins.

This would be horrible on the street and highway. On the highway you would never hit lockup so gas mileage would be like 3-4 mpg and the motor would be screaming.

If your going to be on the street and highway a lot get a RV or stock Mustang cam with a low stall converter (IE stock or RV/Towing).
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

That's what I thought was an RV cam
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
Agui-E7TE

Post by Agui-E7TE »

So I should stick with a stock mustang cam for the 393 or do you mean I should keep the stock converter? What do you think about a B303 cam, Philo?
robertcrav
Let me google that for you
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies

Cam Selection choices

Post by robertcrav »

What kind of improvement would be seen with a stock Mustang HO cam Ina '96 with headers and intake? Will need to pass smog and will eventually have 4.56s and 35s
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

Still goin to need a high stall converter
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
robertcrav
Let me google that for you
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies

Cam Selection choices

Post by robertcrav »

Why? Stock Mustang 5.0 stall speed is around 1800 with 2.73 gears or something like that if memory serves me...least that's what my '91 LX had stock
SuperSixAxis
Bronco Info: 1996 5.8, E4OD

Post by SuperSixAxis »

I believe weight, Rotating Mass ect will play a dramatic part in this. Even with 2.73 HWY gears the 5.slow will have 2500 less pounds to move and half(or less) rotating mass.

Am I on the right track here?
Bronco Info: 1979 Class 3 Race Bronco. Built in 2000.

Post by 300 »

Mustang's going to have a LOT smaller tires to go with those tall gears.