Page 1 of 1

Intake /exhasut Systems

Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:07 pm
by shockseals.com
Who makes a nice intake system for late model 5.8 broncos other than K&N? Anybody make a drop in dry or foam filter?

Who makes easy to install headers with thick flanges that bolt up easily to stock exhaust?

Re: Intake /exhasut Systems

Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:11 pm
by damon1272
JBA or bassani make nice drop in headers. MAC is ok but as not high of quality.

Re: Intake /exhasut Systems

Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:24 pm
by Dezertbronco
I had bassani Headers on my lightning, They made 17 hp on the Dyno. They were Full Stainless. They were a PITA to install though.

Re: Intake /exhasut Systems

Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:49 am
by damon1272
I have never hada header that was easy to install other than factory mmustang headers. ARP header studs really tend to make things easier. I won't install headers anymore without using them.

Re: Intake /exhasut Systems

Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:52 am
by baja-chris
Had JBA headers break often. Switched to Gibson and they lasted 10x longer. Easy? Not.
For intakes, I think OEM air box is best with a good paper or synthetic filter.

Re: Intake /exhasut Systems

Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:27 pm
by monkei
Where ere the JBAs breaking, at the collectors or primaries?

Re: Intake /exhasut Systems

Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:29 pm
by tcm glx
I am running Basani, and I like them, one thing to know about these is that the Basani gaskets are trash..... if you do these headers, get yourself a good quality copper gasket.

Re: Intake /exhasut Systems

Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:13 pm
by GKR
I have two sets of JBA's break the welds at the "fire cone" collector. Although the replaced them free of charge, there was the hassle of remove/install. My current Bassini's went on like a breeze and have been holding up well.
As far as intakes, I partial to the UMP unit. That Donaldson style filter is great for heavy dust.

Re: Intake /exhasut Systems

Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:47 pm
by monkei
Do you think they broke from desert-abuse or just poor mfg/welding?

Reason I ask is I now own a set of the JBAs for a lightning, I won't be jumping/desert running too often, so I'm hoping they'll hold up. My friend has had a set (for years) on his lifted 5.0 bronco that never really goes offroad. This is a set that had been on the motor when it was so lean it caused the headers to glow red hot! But they're still good and don't leak.

Re: Intake /exhasut Systems

Posted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:20 am
by shockseals.com
GKR wrote:I have two sets of JBA's break the welds at the "fire cone" collector. Although the replaced them free of charge, there was the hassle of remove/install. My current Bassini's went on like a breeze and have been holding up well.
As far as intakes, I partial to the UMP unit. That Donaldson style filter is great for heavy dust.
Did you fabricate the ducting or does UMP make a bolt in bronco ap?

Re: Intake /exhasut Systems

Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:20 pm
by Polarcub
I run the JBAs no problems even with lots of desert abuse.

Intake K&N is your only real option for CARB approval. Not wortht the money imo I had to go to it for clearance issues. I fyou dont need to change keep the box and either run the K&N replacement filter or a good paper one. If you are interested I have the drop in replacement K&Filter still. Not sure why I held on to it but I do.
Also as a sid enote I run an AFM element on the K&N ducting better filtration and I dont see silt in my intake tube anymore. If you dont have to worry about smog then you have many options that are only limited by the amount of money you want to spend and work. If thats the case go with the UMP units.