CV jointed -Threads merged.

RCVTom
Bronco Info: 89 F250 7.3 IDI Work in progress

CV jointed -Threads merged.

Post by RCVTom »

Just curious if anyone would ever buy a cv jointed (ball type) set of shafts for a TTB axle. If you have ever seen a RCV Performance Dana 44 axle set those are the joint I'm thinking of using. I won't be setting the price for it but I would like to keep it reasonable i.e. cheaper than a decked out dana 60. It will be available with custom length shafts.
BajaBronco13
Bronco Broker
Bronco Info: Bronco AKA The Silver Bullet

Re: CV jointed TTB

Post by BajaBronco13 »

Any pics? Would be interesting to check out.

Chris
RCVTom

Post by RCVTom »

No pics but if i remember when I go back to work after the weekend I'll post a pic of the joint. Here is a pic of our dana 44 axle set that uses the same joint.
ESHALLBETTER
Bronco Info: 85 class 3, 70's somthing trail bronco.

Post by ESHALLBETTER »

For me interest would be driven by price vs. advantage over stock. I would be more interested if I was extending my beams... but I've used your stuff in the past and like the quality. Post pics and price when you have them!
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

What is the max angle of the joint? Many of us hit a massive angle at full droop. The outer would need to be changed with the center joint to keep it from binding.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
RCVTom

Post by RCVTom »

Its all in the design stage right now. I'm going to use my dana 50 to test it and work out the bugs :mrgreen:. I'm hoping it won't be more expensive than our dana 60 axles. Material will be mostly 4340 with some parts being 300m. There has been some playing with the dana 44 ttb already so i'm hoping i can help move this project along. The feedback I get will determine how this project moves.

Offhand i'm not positive of the 44's max angle but the D60 joint is 45* the outer joints will be the same as the inner unless I can fit the D60 joints in the knuckle. By the way I was told our testing machine could not break the D60 housing.
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

We normally have to clearance the 44 joint for more angle.

PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

[quote="philofab"]We normally have to clearance the 44 joint for more angle.

Correct. However I never measured my angle.
RCVTom

Post by RCVTom »

If someone could find out what the max angle is on a long travel setup that would be very helpful. I know it will likely vary per truck but it would be nice to have a close number.
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

I have 18" of travel with stock length axles. Cant measure the droop now. Maybe later when I get back to the truck.
Look at Philo..s pic and see he took at leaast a quarter inch out of the yoke.
PaulW
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

Mark did that on Chris' Bronco. Mine has clearancing too but I don't have the Bronco close by to take a pic.
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

The D44 beam is very confining. putting a CV or a D50 joint in there requires a big bubble on the beam. Using a D50 beam is a big deal for most guys.
PaulW
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

Stronger TTB axles??
Hard to believe there is a market for super strong TTB axles. The rock crawlers hate independent suspension and the desert gofast guys just do not have breakage issues since we run 2wd 90% of the time. Then when we need 4wd it is just to plow thru the silt and sand. Not much rock crawling or big power with wheels at full lock.
The solid axle crowd should jump on a RCV product, but not the desert gofast crowd.
So what the gofast TTB guys use is stock axles , either new or from the junk yard. Racing experience with TTB has shown no big issues for the reasons above. Racers with TTB these days are extremely rare since the 2wd trucks are so fast and the TTB has limited wheel travel even with detailed inner joint yokes. Maybe we will see more TTB racers?
There are a limited number of gofast guys using D50 TTBs in stock form, but with 5x5.5x5/8” spindles. These axles are not especially strong with their cast yokes. But success at way low cost is the result.
PaulW
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

Inner angle
Measure the two angles of an assembled joint/yoke and just use the side with the highest angle. That is how we decided to machine the limiting side.
PaulW
RCVTom

Post by RCVTom »

No big hurry I'd be surprised if it were over 45*. I'm just trying to see if it might be a feasible idea. Other that custom axle sets does anyone even make a set of chromoly shafts for the ttb.

They have a design for the dana 44 but i haven't seen a finished product let alone a print. If nothing else would anyone be interested in chromoly shafts and yokes. Just to be clear i can't guarantee much at this point.

The dana 44 joint with the boot on it is about 4" across 1350 joints are 3.625" so its close but i think doable.
Last edited by RCVTom on Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

The TTB shafts are not anything special. Anyone that can machine D44 blanks can make them. The slip yoke is special but GunIT has some longer ones made by CTM.

Many of us get away with lengthening stock shafts with tubing and welding.
Last edited by philofab on Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

PaulW wrote:Inner angle
Measure the two angles of an assembled joint/yoke and just use the side with the highest angle. That is how we decided to machine the limiting side.
PaulW
=========
Here is a pic which shows the outer yoke relieved and the inner not relieved
Note the caps are welded
Outer yoke is cast , inner is forged per Spicer.
Pic is a when it was off for prep of the C8 race truck.
Attachments
IMG_0901.JPG
IMG_0901.JPG (52.29 KiB) Viewed 2225 times
gunit

Post by gunit »

I sent Sean Carlini my axles last summer to measure. You guys were going to build me a set to test in my race car but after several months I had to get my old axles back. Sean said he would send me a set when available and I would still like to try the RCV axles if you produce them.
Polarcub
Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 95 XLT still in the shop........

Post by Polarcub »

I would like to see this happen as well....I suspect that the Ultra 4 racers may be very interested in this as well.
Jeremy
DukeSky
Bronco Info: 92 4" Rancho, Procomp coils, Sagswa pump, 3G alt, 95 E4OD Built w/computer, locked

Post by DukeSky »

RCV joints are the bomb to replace the Brifields, I read that they do not recommend putting them on a daily drive or any freeway driving with the RCV joints? Can you shed some light on why? Thanks