Page 1 of 2

Tire Pressure

Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:07 pm
by DMbronco
Hey Fellas,

I was wondering what kind of tire pressure you are running on your rigs, particularly for go-fast applications.

Maybe a thread where we list up what tire/wheel combo, and what pressure you're running would help
give us all a frame of reference for what works best.

I have the stock alcoas with 35x12.50x15 BFG AT's, and have had em at 12psi before without any issues, but this has been more for trail running, not high speed stuff.

Input appreciated; thanks in advance.

Re: Tire Pressure

Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:19 pm
by RyanDS650X
35/12.5/17 Goodyear AT's
20 in the dez
10-15 in the sand

Re: Tire Pressure

Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:55 pm
by Dezertbronco
I run 25 in my 33s only because my compressor is slow and the nearest air is 8 miles away. in barstow that is..

Re: Tire Pressure

Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:06 pm
by 78 DESERT RAT
35x12.5 15" I have always run about 28 lbs in the desert.

Re: Tire Pressure

Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:16 pm
by baja-chris
I run 32 psi in the desert with 35" tires. Heavy truck going fast.

Re: Tire Pressure

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:57 pm
by mesquito_creek
35x12.5x15 bfg TAs - Depending on the morning air temps, I start cold at about 14 psi.... A quick check about 15 to 20 minutes into a run will normally show about 4-6 psi increase after the tires heat up putting me right at about 18-20 where I want to be. If I start at 18-20 psi, too much for me after warm up.... In the cold of winter I dont get as much expansion so I might start at 16. I check alot on the trail and will let more out if I get too much.

Re: Tire Pressure

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:02 pm
by Agui-E7TE
315/75R16 Super Swamper IROK NDs on 16-inch Method wheels

For hard pack desert I run about 21-23 PSI
For sand I run 11 PSI all around
I've driven 60 miles home on 22 PSI at highway speeds no problem
I've also driven 220 miles home on 25 PSI in the front and 30 PSI in the rear on my way back from Glamis and it was fine.
On the highway I tend to run them between 38-40 PSI for less rolling resistance.

My tires are also pretty soft and they are noticeably warm to the touch after only a half hour of driving. They're okay in sand but I didn't have enough power to find out just how good they are in sand but running them at 11 PSI definitely helped me float over dunes.

Funny thing is I noticed the sticker on my tires said to inflate them to 65 PSI when I first got them.. I have no clue why but I'm way to scared to even attempt it.

Re: Tire Pressure

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:25 pm
by hobbyturnedobsession
I just run mine at 45 psi like the sidewall says.

Re: Tire Pressure

Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:03 pm
by tcm glx
30 on the street, 22-28 on the dirt depending on the roads......

Re: Tire Pressure

Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:44 pm
by Agui-E7TE
hobbyturnedobsession wrote:I just run mine at 45 psi like the sidewall says.
Sidewall says max pressure though.

Here's an article I remember reading that explained how to find the proper tire inflation.

http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticles/ ... ewall.html

Re: Tire Pressure

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:05 am
by hobbyturnedobsession
Id rather run full pressure. My dad is ocd like that so i run the same way. I air down but only if i have to.

Re: Tire Pressure

Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:09 am
by shockseals.com
30-35

These pigs are heavy...without bead locks I wouldnt run much less then 30 going fast.

Re: Tire Pressure

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:09 am
by Polarcub
30-35 is my norm I have aired down for soft sand to 20 once when I had an issue with 4WD but thats it.

Re: Tire Pressure

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:48 pm
by PaulW
Ha - My story.
I always pump up / verify in the morning at 32 before a desert run. Had a hard time in Matomi last month so I aired down to 20. Aired up after we got out of the deep soft sand - back to 32. The next day the tires were down to the 20s. I had to add more plugs (sidewall Plugs) to stop the leaks. Anyway, I wont air down again unliess the plugged tires are gone.
The worse one had 5 plugs and I added 3 more. Holding pressure for the last two runs.
32 = nice and stiff. BFG 35" Baja tires.

BTW, Matomi is not passable. Verified again last week and found no tracks in the blocked area. Lots of tracks on both sides of theblocked area.
Passable exception would be a true rock crawler with 42s.
PW

Re: Tire Pressure

Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:24 am
by shockseals.com
PaulW wrote: BTW, Matomi is not passable. Verified again last week and found no tracks in the blocked area. Lots of tracks on both sides of theblocked area.
Passable exception would be a true rock crawler with 42s.
PW
It should be left for the racers to clear during prerunning or race day...assuming Normans new route will use matomi.

Re: Tire Pressure

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:54 am
by only1mikey
Man you guys running street pressure in the dirt don't know what you are missing. I like that little extra squish when aired down tires in the dirt, plus the added traction is nice too.

35" BFG A/T's
35psi'ish on the street (I like to play with tire pressure to get the tire wear good across the tread)
25psi dirt
20-22 sand

37" GSA's (Race tires = thick sidewalls)
30psi'ish on the street (haven't figured out what I like yet)
20-22 dirt (the tire barely bulge, they look almost the same as street pressure, nervous about going any lower)
haven't taken then in the sand yet but maybe 15-20ish or lower, not sure yet, don't want to blow a bead.

Been doing the truck thing since 2008ish, and I try to put down at least 500-1000 dirt miles a year but lately it's been more. Zero flats and no beads broken yet (knock on wood).

Mike

Re: Tire Pressure

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:23 pm
by Silverslk
If you aren't running race speeds you are probably fine with lower pressures. I know on our heavy ass ProTruck we have to run 32-34 psi to keep the tire from flexing in and bending wheels on rocks etc. That is with a 35 on a 17 and now 37's on 17's (Generals and now BFG Projects).

Re: Tire Pressure

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:29 pm
by wayfastwhitie
20 psi on everything but the highway and 38 on the highway. 33in bfg km2s

Re: Tire Pressure

Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:00 pm
by 87SLbronco
wow I feel way out of the loop here but I guess I'll have to play around a little once my rig is actually done. But in the sand I play in I'm anywhere from 8-14psi with my toyo open country A/T's and my BFgoodrich A/T's.

Must just be a Silver Lake thing :?:

Re: Tire Pressure

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:15 am
by Rmc
30 psi for most desert trails roads ect, dunes I just air down for a fat bulge when needed. I rarely go in the dunes.