desert race pace in 4wd or 2wd?
- fordf100amc
- Posts: 35
- Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:43 am
- Bronco Info: 91 bronco
desert race pace in 4wd or 2wd?
Im building my bronco to race next season in VORRA and have been wondering if guys that race in desert courses do you run it mostly in 2wd and just use 4wd when needed?
Also can the ttb axles handle hard jumps while in 4wd?
My bronco is running stock axles but it has trussed and plated beams and welded radius arms, with 14 coilovers and 2.5 4inch bumps. No bypasses up front yet.
Also in a short course (Prairie city with VORRA) would you guys recommend running in 4wd or 2wd?
Also can the ttb axles handle hard jumps while in 4wd?
My bronco is running stock axles but it has trussed and plated beams and welded radius arms, with 14 coilovers and 2.5 4inch bumps. No bypasses up front yet.
Also in a short course (Prairie city with VORRA) would you guys recommend running in 4wd or 2wd?
Re: desert race pace in 4wd or 2wd?
Majority of 4 wheel drive stuff is ran in 2 hi until needed. The exception being short course stuff.. as far as the axles go I believe the u-joints are the weak link. Rcv makes some cv axles I think that should help you find the next weak link. I'd be concerned with beating on an aluminum chain driven t-case in 4high for to long with allot of shock loading.
Re: desert race pace in 4wd or 2wd?
stock front axles are not for jumping cuz they break, usualy the crossover joint fails. The bigger the tires the easier they break. Just pop the thing into 2wd . Why would anyone need 4wd for jumping?
PW
PW
- BDKW1
- Posts: 1518
- Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:19 pm
- Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!
- Location: Not Socal
Re: desert race pace in 4wd or 2wd?
As long as you don't land with your foot on the floor, you will be fine in 4X. I love the way they corner in 4X.
-
kylesgorter
- Posts: 217
- Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:50 am
- Bronco Info: 92 Fullsize EB. 357w, midtravel front, custome rear packs, bilstein shocks, fox air bumps
Re: desert race pace in 4wd or 2wd?
I've caught air in 4x4 many times at higher speeds in 4x4 with no breakage. not sure about in the desert at race speeds though prob beak something.
The ears of the yoke at the center u joint seems to be a fail point as well as the stub axle itself that goes into the diff
The ears of the yoke at the center u joint seems to be a fail point as well as the stub axle itself that goes into the diff
- fordf100amc
- Posts: 35
- Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:43 am
- Bronco Info: 91 bronco
Re: desert race pace in 4wd or 2wd?
Good info guys.
I have jump my bronco many times but always in 2wd. never been confident that the front axle could handle the impacts.
I love the way it goes around a corner in 4wd also. Im going to take it out in 2 weeks for the first time since my build, see how it does.
i think in a short course race i would have it in 4wd.
Also is there any limitations to how fast the bronco could go in 4wd. can it handle going 80+ mph in 4wd.
I have the stock transfer case BW1356 manual version and a c6.
I have jump my bronco many times but always in 2wd. never been confident that the front axle could handle the impacts.
I love the way it goes around a corner in 4wd also. Im going to take it out in 2 weeks for the first time since my build, see how it does.
i think in a short course race i would have it in 4wd.
Also is there any limitations to how fast the bronco could go in 4wd. can it handle going 80+ mph in 4wd.
I have the stock transfer case BW1356 manual version and a c6.
- bajascott
- My belly is my best friend
- Posts: 2006
- Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:29 pm
- Bronco Info: its black, its fun to drive,and i dont have enough money to build it the way i want to!:)
- Location: southern oregon
- Contact:
Re: desert race pace in 4wd or 2wd?
I have had mine up in the 90's in 4wd.it was stable. But It runs a ton hotter while in 4wd. I have not had any problems with the stock axles.I am limited to 15 +/- inches or travel.
Re: desert race pace in 4wd or 2wd?
I think I read on here some where that at those speeds the ring gear acts as an oil slinger and pumps the gear oil out the vent. The thread I read that in the poster had a catch can plumbed into the vent line. I think moving the vent hole may help as well.
- fordf100amc
- Posts: 35
- Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:43 am
- Bronco Info: 91 bronco
Re: desert race pace in 4wd or 2wd?
Ya i have heard about the oil in the front diff coming out at high speeds.
The way i was thinking about driving during in a desert race is keep the front hubs locked in at all times and only engage the 4wd when need (deep sand, mud, rocks, silt).
The way i was thinking about driving during in a desert race is keep the front hubs locked in at all times and only engage the 4wd when need (deep sand, mud, rocks, silt).
- bajascott
- My belly is my best friend
- Posts: 2006
- Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:29 pm
- Bronco Info: its black, its fun to drive,and i dont have enough money to build it the way i want to!:)
- Location: southern oregon
- Contact:
Re: desert race pace in 4wd or 2wd?
That's how I run mine,locked hubs,only use 4wd when needed,there have been multiple times that i simply forgot to die-engage the tcase. I have never gave the vent much thought.....
Re: desert race pace in 4wd or 2wd?
You have the right idea about only using it when necessary for soft spots etc and go easy with the throttle and brakes when engaged if it is choppy at all. Spider gears are weak if your running a standard open diff. If your going to run the hubs in all the time just run solid slugs instead of hubs and get rid of one(two) more failure point. It is useful sometimes for high speed graded roads and slick lake beds where the short wheelbase wants to go any direction except straight.
Short course is a different story and it is a big advantage if racing 2wd rigs and equalizer for the wheelbase etc. You can probably get away with running it at Prairie city engaged full time it isnt that rough usually.
Short course is a different story and it is a big advantage if racing 2wd rigs and equalizer for the wheelbase etc. You can probably get away with running it at Prairie city engaged full time it isnt that rough usually.
- fordf100amc
- Posts: 35
- Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:43 am
- Bronco Info: 91 bronco
Re: desert race pace in 4wd or 2wd?
thanks for the advise. I though about running the solid slugs instead of the locking hubs, but from what i have read the weak point is the axles joints them self's. so if i break a front axle im done, need to fix the axle to continue in the race. if i have a locking hub i just unlock both sides and finish the race in 2wd. I have the Warn locking hubs. only 2 years old. Do they brake often? I also have a few spares since i am able to find them at the pick-n-pull all the time. Last time i was there 2 broncos had the the warn ones. if i do break one im going to start stocking up on them.
Re: desert race pace in 4wd or 2wd?
I suppose with the TTB you might have to stop and remove the axle since it would sling around. With a straight axle you dont have to stop just shift back to 2wd. It clearances itself and all parts are junk anyway, ha.
- fordf100amc
- Posts: 35
- Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:43 am
- Bronco Info: 91 bronco
Re: desert race pace in 4wd or 2wd?
Moss are you guys ready for the 1000?
I will be down there chasing for the class 3 78 Blazer from Modesto CA but he races in sportsman because of funds.
At the 1000 last year we were at the tech inspection at the same time. I love watching your bronco go by.
Hopefully i get the chance to race against you guys in my bronco one day.
I will be down there chasing for the class 3 78 Blazer from Modesto CA but he races in sportsman because of funds.
At the 1000 last year we were at the tech inspection at the same time. I love watching your bronco go by.
Hopefully i get the chance to race against you guys in my bronco one day.
- fordf100amc
- Posts: 35
- Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:43 am
- Bronco Info: 91 bronco
Re: desert race pace in 4wd or 2wd?
here is the blazer


Re: desert race pace in 4wd or 2wd?
Sure I remember that Blazer. Good to hear you will all be back down this year. Much better to be doing it on a budget than just dreaming about it thats for sure. We know all about that. Nothing like a peninsula run 1000 for adventures. The Bronco is well on its way to being ready but its not time to leave yet! See you down there.
Re: desert race pace in 4wd or 2wd?
======fordf100amc wrote:Good info guys.
I have jump my bronco many times but always in 2wd. never been confident that the front axle could handle the impacts.
I love the way it goes around a corner in 4wd also. Im going to take it out in 2 weeks for the first time since my build, see how it does.
i think in a short course race i would have it in 4wd.
Also is there any limitations to how fast the bronco could go in 4wd. can it handle going 80+ mph in 4wd.
I have the stock transfer case BW1356 manual version and a c6.
Speed is dependent on 2 things 1) do you have a double cardan shaft in front? without it not likely much over 40. 2) Is your crossover shaft clocked correctly? If not it will vibrate like hell above 30-40.
PW
Re: desert race pace in 4wd or 2wd?
=========fordf100amc wrote:Ya i have heard about the oil in the front diff coming out at high speeds.
The way i was thinking about driving during in a desert race is keep the front hubs locked in at all times and only engage the 4wd when need (deep sand, mud, rocks, silt).
Yup, they run hot at speed with hubs locked. A long vent line is required. Some guys have had to hadd a res at the top of the vent line. Do that if oil squirts out.
Of course it just like jumping . No need for the transfer to be in 4wd at high speeds Pretty easy to shift the thing so why no do it?
PW
- yikes
- Founder
- Posts: 4138
- Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:51 am
- Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff
- Location: Yucaipa, CA
Re: desert race pace in 4wd or 2wd?
I believe Dave is rolling 4wd in this testing video.
-
Dezertbronco
- Posts: 652
- Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:29 am
- Bronco Info: 1990 Bronco EB
- Location: Highland, CA.
Re: desert race pace in 4wd or 2wd?
Evan Gets down, he is more coodinated than most without disability.
There is no substititute for Horsepower.
