Page 1 of 1

Compression and cam questions

Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:27 pm
by westco
Hey guys, I scored a set of new in the wrapper iron windsor jr heads off craigslist and roller 1:6 roller rockers..my questions are

1.what will my CR be with these heads, they are 58cc and I don't know the stock specs on my 84' 351w, H.O.

2.I'm running this cam http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-2182/ how will the aftermarket rockers affect it?

Thanks

Re: Compression and cam questions

Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:01 pm
by Rednek Renegade
with a 112 LSA wouldnt that be a lil lopey for a truck motor?

Re: Compression and cam questions

Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:04 pm
by westco
it's a mild cam, not lopey at all...

Re: Compression and cam questions

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:55 pm
by westco
any input?

Re: Compression and cam questions

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:27 pm
by Rednek Renegade

Re: Compression and cam questions

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:27 pm
by westco
thanks Rednek...if i figured it right I should be at bout 9.68...at those numbers do I need to run premium?

Re: Compression and cam questions

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:46 pm
by Rednek Renegade
Depends on timing, thermostat, A/F mix, etc. I would run 89 and see if i could notice a ping

Re: Compression and cam questions

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:07 am
by PaulW
desktop dyno SW will help you evaluate the combos of CR, Cam specs and intake,etc.
PW

Re: Compression and cam questions

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:11 pm
by SandStallion
at a lil less than 10:1 you can run 87 all day long. you dont really need worry about premium in till you get higher than to 12:1.
what is your base timing set to with this cam?

Re: Compression and cam questions

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:21 pm
by westco
we installed it a few years back and I don't remember...probably whatever is stock, I don't remember setting it at something specific.

Re: Compression and cam questions

Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:10 pm
by SandStallion
I dont see why that combo wouldn't work. Make sure you check your piston to valve clearance carefully. http://www.racingheadservice.com/Inform ... arance.asp
Also start with a base timing around 14btdc, and run a 190degree T-Stat. What Intake manifold do you plan to use?

Re: Compression and cam questions

Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:28 pm
by westco
I have the Edelbrock Performer but was thinking of getting the Weiand dual plane highrise....thanks for the link.

Re: Compression and cam questions

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:55 am
by SandStallion
Well whatever intake you run keep it a dual plane. Your going to like the bottom end torque alot more than if you ran any type of single plane intake. A dual plane is more than capable of supplying adequate air to 5500rpm so your high end wont suffer much, but a single plane intake will kill your bottom end. Well ok not kill, but a noticable reduction of off the line *oomph.*