Radius arms, weld-on or bolt-on?

fordf100amc
Bronco Info: 91 bronco

Radius arms, weld-on or bolt-on?

Post by fordf100amc »

I'm building a 91 bronco race truck. Im building it to class 3 specs.
So I'm about ready to build the radius arms. Better to have them weld on or bolt on to the beams?
What do you guys think about the ruff stuff 1.25 heims, what other heims would you recommend for the radius arms?
fordf100amc

Re: Radius arms weld on or bolt on for racing

Post by fordf100amc »

Im running stock length beams
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

fordf100amc wrote:I'm building a 91 bronco race truck. Im building it to class 3 specs.
So I'm about ready to build the radius arms. Better to have them weld on or bolt on to the beams?
What do you guys think about the ruff stuff 1.25 heims, what other heims would you recommend for the radius arms?
=========
Mostly what I see for racers are J arms. RA welded to the beams. The exception is for the EB where most still use the stock setup - Yuk.
Anyway for a racer less bolts & joints - very good thing to eliminate failure modes.
PW
Jasonj105
Bronco Info: 1989 Bronco, 5.8, C6

Post by Jasonj105 »

Ive noticed the same thing. Is there any advantage to j-beams, other than less bolts to break?
We Might As Well Give Up And Run, If We Let Them Take Our God And Guns
baja-chris

Post by baja-chris »

I think welding is stronger and less likely to move and loose alignment. My yellow prerun bronco has the arms welded and it's got a huge amount of hard use and still has perfect alignment. When I used to run Rancho bolted on radius arms, the alignment was always messed up after a hard prerun, never knew if stuff was bending or bolts moving or what. Not sure i've ever seen a competitive class 8 or 3 run bolted on radius arms. Welding is the norm as far as I know.
fordf100amc

Post by fordf100amc »

You guys that have run j bean are they hard to install since it is all one piece?
I'm running rancho arms right now and one broke so I'm thinking about the welded arms.
baja-chris

Post by baja-chris »

I had uniballs on both the beam and radius arm, no adjustment at all, on the class 4 race truck. It took a bit of work to get them back in but had them in and out every race. Was not bad enough to wish it was designed different. With a heim on the radius arm it's no problem at all. I guess you would not want your radius arm welded to your beam in an uncaged truck since the frame and chassis are likely to be bent or tweaked causing the assembly to spring when you remove it.

BTW, I'm not sure this is a J-arm. I think of a J-arm as the upper arm on a trophy truck that wraps around the front of the engine for a center mount.
fordf100amc

Post by fordf100amc »

Ya my bronco is already fully caged. I'm building it to class 3 specs but I plan on racing in VORRA next year.
I'm going to do heims on the radius arm and still debating on a uniball or bushing for the beam end.
Do uniballs make a big difference?
kylesgorter
Bronco Info: 92 Fullsize EB. 357w, midtravel front, custome rear packs, bilstein shocks, fox air bumps

Post by kylesgorter »

I've always been a fan of keeping them separate because radius arms if hit hard enough will bend and you want to be able to replace them easily. You could even carry spares if its an issue but I don't think it will be a ton of racers run them.this more standard way with no problems.
Threat Motorsports
Bronco Info: 95 Bronco SOLD!

Post by Threat Motorsports »

Bolt is overkill as it is...No need to make more work for yourself if you get yourself into a into a pickle. If I though for a second that a J-arm set up was more superior we would build our kits that way. Its just not the case though...
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Threat Motorsports wrote:If I though for a second that a J-arm set up was more superior we would build our kits that way. Its just not the case though...
You sound like a graduate of the Burg Academy. [sarcasm]Clearly, if someone doesn't do it just like you, they're doing it wrong![/sarcarsm]. Give us a break, man.

Back on topic. Bolts or welds... they both work. I like bolts for reasons already stated, but there are a ton of welded examples that have been in service for tens of thousands of off-road miles.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
Agui-E7TE
Bronco Info: 89 Bronco w/ 6 in. skyjacker kit w/ dual Bilstein 5150 shocks up front and Deaver F53's in the rear

Post by Agui-E7TE »

Nothing wrong with Camburg.. they have a great product that's dirt proven. Sure, Zaidenburg is a little outspoken and really proud of his products but the dude's actually really cool.

To be honest, I would just stick to keeping it bolted on and simply make sure you check the torque before, during and after a trip... or at the very least, carry a spare bolt or have buddies with Ranger's who can loan you a spare radius arm bolt and nut, just ask BajaBronco13 :lol:
Nick
Founder
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target

Post by Nick »

Agui-E7TE wrote:Sure, Zaidenburg is a little outspoken and really proud of his products but the dude's actually really cool.
I just want to see him and pistol pete in a fight to the finnish cage match! 2 men enter, 1 man leaves! :lol:
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
Agui-E7TE
Bronco Info: 89 Bronco w/ 6 in. skyjacker kit w/ dual Bilstein 5150 shocks up front and Deaver F53's in the rear

Post by Agui-E7TE »

Nick wrote:
Agui-E7TE wrote:Sure, Zaidenburg is a little outspoken and really proud of his products but the dude's actually really cool.
I just want to see him and pistol pete in a fight to the finnish cage match! 2 men enter, 1 man leaves! :lol:

Haha! I don't know.. Pistol Pete looks pretty F'n tough. :lol:
bajascott
My belly is my best friend
Bronco Info: its black, its fun to drive,and i dont have enough money to build it the way i want to!:)

Post by bajascott »

mine is set up welded together.i did this on mine because it was less work for me to do when i built my front end. it has thousands of miles off road and over a 100000 of on road. i can unbolt and re install with little effort. i wont recomend it to my customers only beacuse i would want to be the one installing it.
it is all a matter of what you want to do.... BOTH ways work as expected.and both ways can fail in a bad ways.

my money would be on Pistol,but if it went the other way i know someone who jump in to help.... :lol:
FRONT YARD FABRICATION
http://ssfab-n-offroad.com/
fordf100amc

Post by fordf100amc »

I think im going to weld them up. I dont want any weak points. I already cracked a radius arm on the flange where the bolt goes through.
And if i break or bend the beams or radius arms that just means i get to build a whole new set.
baja-chris

Post by baja-chris »

Here's a couple photos from today showing radius arms welded to beams. Still need to add a pad for the air bumps which will be centered on the seam between the beam and the arm plate which is 3/16 4130 plate. The arms consist of three tubes of 1.75" 4130, plated on all three sides with 1/8" 4130, except the forward area where the shock mounts and bump stop pads are. I think this is stronger and less likely to move than a bolted on radius arm, but I know there are differing opinions.
Attachments
P8120001.JPG
P8120001.JPG (56.49 KiB) Viewed 1688 times
P8120003.JPG
P8120003.JPG (57.33 KiB) Viewed 1688 times
Nick
Founder
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target

Post by Nick »

baja-chris wrote:Here's a couple photos from today showing radius arms welded to beams. Still need to add a pad for the air bumps which will be centered on the seam between the beam and the arm plate which is 3/16 4130 plate. The arms consist of three tubes of 1.75" 4130, plated on all three sides with 1/8" 4130, except the forward area where the shock mounts and bump stop pads are. I think this is stronger and less likely to move than a bolted on radius arm, but I know there are differing opinions.
Soooo nice!
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

bajascott wrote:my money would be on Pistol,but if it went the other way i know someone who jump in to help.... :lol:
or 2, or 3, or... heck - a TON of guys who would.

Personally I'd be ok if 2 went in an none came back out. Both are annoying as heck at most times :roll:
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
Threat Motorsports
Bronco Info: 95 Bronco SOLD!

Post by Threat Motorsports »

SteveG wrote:
Threat Motorsports wrote:If I though for a second that a J-arm set up was more superior we would build our kits that way. Its just not the case though...
You sound like a graduate of the Burg Academy. [sarcasm]Clearly, if someone doesn't do it just like you, they're doing it wrong![/sarcarsm]. Give us a break, man.

Back on topic. Bolts or welds... they both work. I like bolts for reasons already stated, but there are a ton of welded examples that have been in service for tens of thousands of off-road miles.
Wow Steve why so uptight? I was just stating facts... I never said it was wrong now did I? Was I really out of line on this one Steve????....Carry on....