Prerunner bronco c6 or manual?

fordf100amc
Bronco Info: 91 bronco

Prerunner bronco c6 or manual?

Post by fordf100amc »

Im building a 91 bronco the has the e4od. This is a prerunner/ chase truck. I'm almost done with the suspension and cage and I am debating what drivetrain to run.
It is a 5.8l. I will run a 9 inch with disc. I would like to make it a 5 speed but For going fast will a manual 5 speed hold up to the abuse? If so which transmission? May other option is a C6. I want the most reliable but keeping the tranny build under $1500. Is the C6 the better choice or will a manual work?
Any info will help.
bajascott
My belly is my best friend
Bronco Info: its black, its fun to drive,and i dont have enough money to build it the way i want to!:)

Re: Prerunner bronco c6 or manual?

Post by bajascott »

often thought about running a 5 speed, i know Philo has one in his bronco and likes it alot. i have a c-6 in mine and i like it alot. i would thing the 5 speed is a stronger unit than the auto.its all in how you want to use the bronco,wether you want to shift and clutch....i dont like to myself,its nice to click into gear and go....
i will be getting into mine this winter and doing maual valce body and some upgrades and the cost shouldnt go over 600 doing it myself....
FRONT YARD FABRICATION
http://ssfab-n-offroad.com/
fordf100amc

Post by fordf100amc »

Do you know what tranny philo is running? I actually like shifting it gives more control of where I want the engine to be. Will a 5 speed be stronger them a built C6?
yikes
Founder
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff

Post by yikes »

fordf100amc wrote:I actually like shifting it gives more control of where I want the engine to be
Until it's stopped in the middle of a steep hill and you're trying to manage brakes, gas and clutch all at once with two feet. Never been a fan of that...going up or down. What ever gear you start a steep hill with, you're stuck with to the summit. C6 would be my choice.
bajascott
Bronco Info: its black, its fun to drive,and i dont have enough money to build it the way i want to!:)

Post by bajascott »

it is great to be able to just stab the gas and go. many o'time was i sitting at the edge of a drop off wondering what it was going to be like trying to get my ranger BACK up on the road because my foot slipped or how it really sucks backing down a rocky sumbitch because i diddnt grab the gears soon enough....i have thought about putting one in my bronco but i keep going back to those thoughts......
dont know what Philo has in his....
FRONT YARD FABRICATION
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

It really just depends on what you're doing with it. If you are often in situations that require an auto then that's what you need. End of story. If you rarely or never find yourself in those situations and enjoy shifting and more control then a manual would be great. I like automatics, especially in trucks, but I have a really hard time swallowing the cost of a good overdrive transmission. A manual will give you more power, more control over that power, less heat and better fuel economy to top it off. Oh, and it's cheaper. If the C6 in my Bronco ever goes away I will think very seriously about converting to a manual (or parting the bastard out!).

I'm not up to speed on manual transmissions, but I think the ZF is the heavy duty unit.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
fordf100amc

Post by fordf100amc »

Ya from what I here the zf5 is the tranny I will need. If it was going to be raced I would run a c6. I'm leaning towards the manual because of reliability and simplicity. My one concern is if the manual could handle the abuse of desert driving and a jump here and there. I plan on prerunning the 1000 with it and I chase for a class 3 team. What are your guys thoughts on it's ability to handle that type of abuse. My bronco has a full cage, 14" 2.5 coilovers up front with engine cage, allpro baja race pack rear leafs with 18" 2.5 shocks. The truck will be driven very hard. The motor will stay stock for a while. More power us the last thing I will do to complete the build.
bajascott

Post by bajascott »

i dont have first hand exeriance with the zf 5spd, but i hear it is worthy of abuse. i know with my older rangers i never had a problem with the manual trans.and beat the snot out of them.other than the occational whine of syncros that is
FRONT YARD FABRICATION
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

I have a M5R2 in my truck. My only issue has been worn shift forks, as my rebuilder did not replace them like I asked. When I bought the truck the cluster was melted due to a fluid leak.

The ZF is a heavier duty unit. I have no experience with it.

If your interested I have a spare M5R2, clutch pedals, clutch, and 302 flywheels (351 requires a different imbalance)

The manual will be rougher on the rest of the drivetrain and is less likely to fail in a way that strands you. I drove mine home in 4th gear when the cluster was melted. Its also much lighter and results in a longer driveline than a E4OD.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
damon1272

Post by damon1272 »

I have rebuilt a few of the zf's and have not been impressed. The zf's are a pretty long transmission for a manual. To each his own, but the truck transmissions are just a bit too rough in operation with too much shifter throw.
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

An aftermarket shifter is availible for the M5R2, it along with good components and it's not too bad. Most of the trucks I've driven have badly worn top plates.
fordf100amc

Post by fordf100amc »

So if I went with the 5sp which one will be the better more reliable transmission. The zf5 or the m5r2?
AussieRod
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.

Post by AussieRod »

fordf100amc wrote:So if I went with the 5sp which one will be the better more reliable transmission. The zf5 or the m5r2?
if you are towing a LOT, I would go the ZF5, but for normal DD, the M5R2 is fine. Just make sure to replace the shift forks BEFORE you fit it. Nothing is worse than having to remove it again to fix something that could have been done earlier :D
damon1272

Post by damon1272 »

fordf100amc wrote:So if I went with the 5sp which one will be the better more reliable transmission. The zf5 or the m5r2?
The ZF is expensive to repair. If an automatic such as c6 does not need hard parts rebuilds are much cheaper. When a manual goes then plan on replacing most of the hard parts. between the two i would go with the m5r2.
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

I like my M5R2 but have no experience with the ZF5. A lot of the diesel guys with 4 cylinder cummins use this trans so I expect it would hold up to a 351w. I plan on putting a 351 in mine with big heads and top end stuff.
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

AusBroncodoc wrote:
if you are towing a LOT, I would go the ZF5, but for normal DD, the M5R2 is fine. Just make sure to replace the shift forks BEFORE you fit it. Nothing is worse than having to remove it again to fix something that could have been done earlier :D
It can be done in the truck. The floorpan comes out.

I've done tons of towing with my bronco without an issue.
gunit

Post by gunit »

Why buck the trend, the C6 has been working well for in heavy duty prerunners for 40 years. Here is a small problem with any manual that no one mentions: clamp on the brakes while in the air for whatever reason and when you land everything grenades, I have seen it happen more than once.
AussieRod
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.

Post by AussieRod »

gunit wrote:Why buck the trend, the C6 has been working well for in heavy duty prerunners for 40 years. Here is a small problem with any manual that no one mentions: clamp on the brakes while in the air for whatever reason and when you land everything grenades, I have seen it happen more than once.
a good point, but only newbs clamp the brakes in mid-air, we racers dont :mrgreen:
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

AusBroncodoc wrote:a good point, but only newbs clamp the brakes in mid-air, we racers dont :mrgreen:
Brakes and throttle in the air are nice for controlling the level of the vehicle but I've never had a problem as I push the clutch in when I land. I've only heard of that happening on VW trans in stock classes.
bajascott

Post by bajascott »

i have never ruined a transaxles while running it hard :roll:
FRONT YARD FABRICATION