2inch lift GFB?

User avatar
Firetwig
Posts: 108
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:23 am
Bronco Info: 1978 Ford Bronco 1996 Ford Bronco

2inch lift GFB?

Post by Firetwig »

Is anyone running stock to 2.5 inches of lift and getting comfortable off-road ability, and some whoops riding?
1991 Ford Bronco XLT 5.0/E4OD EFI RIP
1996 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.8/E4OD EFI
1990 Pontiac Formula Firebird 5.7/T5 TPI
1991 Ford F150 Custom 4.9/M5OD EFI
1993 Ford Mustang Convertible 2.3/AOD EFI
PELLEY
Posts: 137
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:30 am
Bronco Info: 1990 5.8L, auto, roll-a-long.
Location: Edwards AFB, CA

Re: 2inch lift GFB?

Post by PELLEY »

I run 2" coils and mine rides decent. No serious whoops, but I can get moving over some smaller stuff. I am running single 2" Bilsteins currently that limit my travel to 10" but with custom shocks it will pull 14" which isn't bad for a milt street ride!! I feel like i am also missing a lot of damping with my small shocks. Bigger shocks and more travel should be the fix for me, But I am not bronco expert. Maybe others will add...
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: 2inch lift GFB?

Post by SteveG »

I think most "desert" Broncos are set up with 4-5" mostly to achieve enough bump travel. That's not to say your truck can't work well with less lift, you just have to be more careful in the bigger stuff. I think it would be fun to mess around with to see how well it could work.

Shock tuning can work wonders.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
User avatar
Firetwig
Posts: 108
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:23 am
Bronco Info: 1978 Ford Bronco 1996 Ford Bronco

Re: 2inch lift GFB?

Post by Firetwig »

What modifications would probably work best? I jump at my local sandbar on the White River, impressing the girls and other rednecks here, the sandbar can get pretty big, but doubtful ever going faster than 55+... There's not much "bigger" stuff to do here, I have my swaybars because we have curvy mountains that are fun to ride hard in but is there an aftermarket swaybar you think would work well street and off-road?

I'm guessing with 2inch coils, need some new Bilsteins, extended brake lines, bumpstops, the TTB shouldn't need anything really? Extended rad arms for 2inchs of lift? I'm kinda big on incognito ability...
1991 Ford Bronco XLT 5.0/E4OD EFI RIP
1996 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.8/E4OD EFI
1990 Pontiac Formula Firebird 5.7/T5 TPI
1991 Ford F150 Custom 4.9/M5OD EFI
1993 Ford Mustang Convertible 2.3/AOD EFI
PELLEY
Posts: 137
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:30 am
Bronco Info: 1990 5.8L, auto, roll-a-long.
Location: Edwards AFB, CA

Re: 2inch lift GFB?

Post by PELLEY »

Radius arms are necessary to correct suspension geometry once you start gaining more wheel travel than stock. If you wanna get the correction, but still look stockish, I would go with superduty 2wd radius arms. There is a writup in go fast tech about it I believe. You can use the arms and pivots to keep the stock look. I believe they need to be slightly modified, but I dont know the particulars... Probably save you on $$$ too!!
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: 2inch lift GFB?

Post by SteveG »

Stock brake lines would probably be sufficient. bump stops will be stock unless you're running more than a 33" tire. Limit straps would be a good idea. I wouldn't buy anything that you can't also use with a more typical 4" lift Go-Fast set up. I say skip the stock mounting Bilsteins and go directly to a 2.5" shock. A 10" behind the bucket will be sufficient. whatever shock you use, I would highly recommend a rebuildable shock that you can change valving in.

Stock radius arms should be sufficient, assuming you can keep caster in check.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
BajaBronco13
Bronco Broker
Posts: 2434
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:00 am
Bronco Info: Bronco AKA The Silver Bullet
Location: Orange County, California

Re: 2inch lift GFB?

Post by BajaBronco13 »

I'm running 2.5 Rough Country springs and I actually like the way this thing handles in the desert. For the most bang for the buck it's not bad:

Image

Chris
notgreat88
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:59 am
Bronco Info: stock 88 ready to cut apart

Re: 2inch lift GFB?

Post by notgreat88 »

Are you useing the rough country drop bracket kit with those springs? If your not how did you fix your caster?
Conejoracer
Posts: 61
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:26 pm
Bronco Info: 1992 XLT 5.8, Beater
Location: Venice, ca

Re: 2inch lift GFB?

Post by Conejoracer »

I have Eibach 2.5" springs on my Bronco with Dual bilstein shocks. I also have some plated Rancho straight extended radius arms on it. I mounted the radius arms 14" back, to keep the tires centered better in the wheel well. I need to get some cut and turned beams for the 2.5" of lift. It works pretty well, but could use some better shocks for sure. I have 35" BFG a/t's on it, and they clear fine.
BajaBronco13
Bronco Broker
Posts: 2434
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:00 am
Bronco Info: Bronco AKA The Silver Bullet
Location: Orange County, California

Re: 2inch lift GFB?

Post by BajaBronco13 »

Kartek sells camber cams that you can install to get your front wheels in alignment but I'm not running them on my silver/blue Bronco but I'm getting rid of those springs and front shocks soon anyway.

Chris
Post Reply