Dezert suspension 101
Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:28 pm
With permission from PaulW, i'm posting some of his thoughts on suspension set up. Thank you Paul!
Originally posted by PaulW
Desert suspension 101
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As you guys know I did not design my suspension. And I did not build it. Thus I find the discussion on how it works very interesting. Below are a couple of threads to follow for tech info. Lots you you guys already know all this, but maybe it is of value for the new guys.
First is the discussion about dual springs at
http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60528
And it explains to someone who never thought about $2 springs$ why is is a good way to go. The extra cost is worthwhile and is common for the Bronco TTB.
Second is all about leaf springs and why it is hard to get tuning correct.
http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55843
This thread has good info and agrees with the fab guys I had help me. The leafs are hard to get correct due to the rate change. The whole time I had my leaf setup I constantly was tightening up my rebound. Even with my C/O setup the rebound had to be tightened to get rid of rear kick in the whoops. The answer for leafs is $bypass$ shocks. More important for the short WB Bronco compared to a long WB pickup.
My observations
-- I was at RM12 at the SCORE unannounced check at SF and right beside where I logged the cars was a deep hole. I was surprise how many 1 & other buggies had inadequate rebound. The result for the guys that did not know about the hole was the vehicles kicked up in the rear almost vertical on their front wheels. Some of the racers had the hole marked and just drove around it. (both Broncos and the FSs went around - lots of room). The fast cars were correctly dialed in and just floated thru the hole. No TTs had any issue and the front runnig 1s had no issue. The fast guys hit the hole and went airborne, but the cars stayed horizontal and they just flopped back on the track with all 4 wheels hitting the ground at the same time. Perfectly dialed in.
-- Its real sad to see a Bronco pre-runner all wadded up due to inadequate rebound. What happens is if one goes to fast in the whoops with low rebound in the big whoops and endo is possible and happens. Two of them in 2008. I did not see any this year.
-- It works in the front as well. Another example is my good friend driving a Jeep TJ. Single coils in front and hardly any rebound with his adjustable Ranchos so as to give the thing a smooth ride. When going up a gentle smooth rock on the trail the front started to bounce. He backed off and tried again with more pedal. I sat there and watched. The first bounce raised the front wheels about 1-2' the second bounce resulted in a back flip and he landed on his roof. The reason for the action was there was so little rebound in the shocks that the springs just threw the thing in the air and over. Extreme example of a bad setup with to little rebound in front. All was fine, nobody hurt, the stock rollover cage was adequate & undamaged and the diy fixup was less than $2k.
Paul