Page 1 of 2
some what go-fast bronco 2 thoughts
Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:48 pm
by bajascott
so i have the idea that a B2 with some suspension and go fast tricks would be a great all around toy/driver. i know they are out there but you dont see to many.
heres my thought: cut and turned beams radius arms nice coils ot c/o,decent shocks,deavers in the rear and an under the floor shock hoop. 31-33"tires.beard seats with a 4.0 conversion.
pro- affordable economy,easy trail access,about a ton or two lighter than a full size(nicer on trailer behind motorhome) compact enough to park anywhere.
con- short wheel base kidney killer through the whoops.....
please give me your thoughts and any pics/ideas.
Re: some what go-fast bronco 2 thoughts
Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:22 pm
by Nick
Bobby at Solo built his "Bronquito" and loves it. I followed him around at Lucerne, and it did very well. You did point out it's downfalls/limitations, but if you go into it knowing those, and compensate as best you can, i think it would be a fun little rig. But Steve will tell you to get an exploder.
Re: some what go-fast bronco 2 thoughts
Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:24 pm
by Carlos83
thats a nice project!
some toughts:
the B2 was killed in 1990 IIRC (the exploder came out in 91)
it had marginal drivetrain even for stock. (i know people has successfully wheeled on them as long as they dont jack up the engine power)
dana 28 TTB front (supposedly, late ยด89 had dana 35 TTB)
ford 7.5 rear
2.8 or 2.9 V6
A4LD trans
i would upgrade the drivetrain:
C4 trans with ratchet shifter
8.8 rear and D44 TTB on the front from a FSB/F150 (5 on 5.5)
I would put a mild 302 and call it a day!
or
get a wrecked Exploder or Ranger for parts so you can swap engine trans axles and most important harness and ECU so you can have it with the stock EFI, O/D and msot important, Smog . maybe this would be more time consuming than the one above...
either way, have fun with the build!
Re: some what go-fast bronco 2 thoughts
Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:01 pm
by bajascott
i was thinking 4.0/5speed with manual t/case. d35 front 9"rear.
hell even a 2.9 with 5speed.
no smog
explorer would be cool but i am thinking of something that would be easy to tow on a small trailer. dont know what the wieght differences are...
Re: some what go-fast bronco 2 thoughts
Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:12 pm
by Carlos83
have you checked two door 4wd explorers? 5sp are common.
i dont know the year breakdown for TTB - IFS....
but i have seen two door 4x4 TTB version with 5sp very common
Re: some what go-fast bronco 2 thoughts
Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:26 pm
by SteveG
bajascott wrote:i was thinking 4.0/5speed with manual t/case. d35 front 9"rear.
hell even a 2.9 with 5speed.
no smog
No 2.9! The OHV 4.0 is a fantastic engine that makes great, usable torque. As already stated, the 2 door Explorers are roughly the same size and come with a better drivetrain. A friend of mine just bought one that is now his daily driver for $500.
All the full size tricks work on the smaller stuff. They are just smaller versions. Don't bother with the D28. The D35 is much better and can be found anywhere... for cheap. Base your suspension off the 87-88 STX Ranger pivot brackets. You'll regret it if you don't.
I would use either a 31 or a 33x10.50. A 12.50 creates clearance issues. My old Explorer had enough bump travel that the 31's would rub on a really hard hit. 33's would have rubbed like mad.
My next car will be a 4 door Explorer. I already have Autofab pivot brackets, axle-housings and some modified and reinforced Superlift radius arms waiting for it. I'll add custom or modified coil-buckets, 2.5" shocks all around, leaves and call it good. Simple and effective.
Re: some what go-fast bronco 2 thoughts
Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:40 pm
by bajascott
i have built a couple explorers in the past for customers and like them alot.
i was thinking 31" tires and stx brackets, i have some in my pile of parts.and deffinarly d35.
right now this is an idea,and i am torn between the B2 and explorer.
my bronco with 2 passengers,spare,tools and gear for 2ppl weighed in at 5700 at the weigh station(which is lighter than i was last year at the same spot with one guy)
Re: some what go-fast bronco 2 thoughts
Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:54 pm
by CBDuner
I LOVED my Bronco II. Had a 302/AOD, stx brackets, rancho shocks and 31's. I had a lot of fun in it, wish I never sold it. Was a blast in the dunes and easy to get around anywhere. With the V8 and me in it it weighed 3200 lbs if I remember correctly. A 2 door Explorer will weigh more, but you already have the Dana 35, 8.8, 4.0, 5-speed and a little more wheelbase. But you can find a decent Bronco II and a donor Explorer around here for less than $1k easy. I was going to build a Bronco II like you're talking but decided on the fullsize instead. No regrets, but I'm sure I'd of been plenty happy if I had gone that direction.
Re: some what go-fast bronco 2 thoughts
Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:12 pm
by SteveG
It's no secret that I'm a big fan of Explorers. I wouldn't think of building a 2 door but I can see the appeal. Especially if you're trying to keep weight down.
Re: some what go-fast bronco 2 thoughts
Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:23 pm
by hobbyturnedobsession
I've always wanted to do a bronco 2 with the d44 front end and an 8.8 rear. A donor bronco would work perfect. I've always heard the 5 speeds are good but the 5 speed with the overdrive the syncros go out without a hint of issue until they go.
Re: some what go-fast bronco 2 thoughts
Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:16 am
by cwrisley
Steve, what year Explorer do you recommend as a "best" to look for?
Re: some what go-fast bronco 2 thoughts
Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:39 am
by SteveG
cwrisley wrote:Steve, what year Explorer do you recommend as a "best" to look for?
All the TTB Explorers are pretty much the same, so I would just look for a clean one and go from there.
hobbyturnedobsession wrote:I've always wanted to do a bronco 2 with the d44 front end and an 8.8 rear. A donor bronco would work perfect.
The D44 TTB conversion is a great option. I had one
mostly installed on my old Explorer when I decided to change the pivot points and kind of started over. Eventually I sold the Explorer and all the D44 stuff to my brother and built the Bronco. He's been sitting on the stuff for years now.
In case anyone is interested, he might be selling all the parts.... D44 conversion pivot brackets, Autofab conversion radius arms, trussed 8.8 (we were going to use it with leaves) with 3-link tabs, Moser axles and 5/8 studs, front and rear fiberglass.... I'll post the parts in the classifieds if he decides to sell.
Re: some what go-fast bronco 2 thoughts
Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:00 am
by ChaseTruck754
Just in case anyone is still thiking B@ I will put in my 2 cents. My uncle had one (2.8L version) and HATED it. Nothing but problems from the truck. He had it when I had my Mazda pickup about 15 years ago and I told him I liked the thing and though about getting one and he said DON'T do it - worst car he ever had. Said he wished he never bought it. That steered me clear of that. Exploders came out right about then and my lust changed direction. Definitely go exploder over B2!!!!!!!
Re: some what go-fast bronco 2 thoughts
Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:22 am
by Copykat
Love my B2. Wouldn't trade it for an Explorer anyday.
Itching to get my D44 under it though.

Re: some what go-fast bronco 2 thoughts
Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:09 pm
by cwrisley
I like the OG front end Copykat, looks awesome!
Re: some what go-fast bronco 2 thoughts
Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:44 pm
by bajabuck
I had a Bronco 2 for a while. I really enjoyed driving it, don't know why it was just fun. Would have loved it with a 302 and a C4. I intended to keep the 5 speed to have the option to flat tow it but never really go the project off the ground. As you mentioned the wheel base is really the limiting factor for going fast. Also just on a side note, I heard the curved rear side windows are outrageous expensive if you ever have to replace them. I figured if it ever came to it I would just cut the top off. dos centavos...
Re: some what go-fast bronco 2 thoughts
Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:19 pm
by tcm glx
Darren York (RIP) Who owned Ollis Class 7s Ranger used to pre run in a bronco 2. That thing hauled assss. He had it set up just as all have mentioned here, but back then, it was pretty cutting edge. It had a simple cage in it, was running cut and turn beams, with 3 2.0s in the front and 2 2.0s in the rear per corner. It was coil sprung and on nationals in the rear. It had a SHET TON of pre run miles on it, did the 500, 1000, and SF250 course many many times. The only engine work they had done was swapping in a 4.0.: Thing worked very well.
Yes it bucked, and that was just something they learned to drive. Now, as everyone here has also suggested, a Explorer would come with the 4.0, 8.8 in the rear, D35 etc etc so would be a logical choice, especially with how cheap they are, as well as how easy they are to find in the JYs (spares would be readily avail)
Re: some what go-fast bronco 2 thoughts
Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:32 pm
by bajascott
the exploer is a good choise but what would one weigh with all the suspension goodies and stuff that goes along?
i am thinking of a "trailer queen" to pull behind the motor home and use as like i use my bronco(minus the whoops and lead foot)
for race course research and mapping. this would have no cage or fiberglass(well maybe a hood) simple bumpers,nice flexy suspension
smaller tires, simple simple simple and economical.
yes an explorer would ideal due to the wheelbase and maybe go that route but if i do.....well full glass c/o's and hopped up c-4 trans and nice motor would be the deal. ive built one like that for someone and loved it but it was back in high dollar im trying to avoild.

NO JEEPS OF ANY KIND FOR ME.
Re: some what go-fast bronco 2 thoughts
Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:37 am
by AussieRod
I'd just give 'em all a $3 paint job

Re: some what go-fast bronco 2 thoughts
Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:43 am
by CBDuner
My SAS'd 4 door Explorer on 35's weighed 5100lbs with 2 people in it and tools....