A question for those running Bilstein 5100's
-
Conejoracer
- Posts: 61
- Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:26 pm
- Bronco Info: 1992 XLT 5.8, Beater
- Location: Venice, ca
A question for those running Bilstein 5100's
I see that many people are running 4"coils on the Bronco's, and using Bilstein 5100's. For those of you with this combination, have you modified your factory bumpstops up front to limit compression travel, or do the shocks work with the factory bumpstop position? I'm running 2.5" coils on the front of my Bronco with the standard Bilstein replacement shocks for a stock vehicle. I have almost no droop whatsoever. I'd like to install the 5100's, but since I have only 2.5" of lift, I'd hate to give up any uptravel if I can avoid that. This is just a cheap beater toy, so I'm trying to avoid coil buckets/coilovers for now, and just get it to work better within the limitations of the factory dual shock buckets.
-
CBDuner
- Posts: 148
- Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:45 pm
- Bronco Info: Wishing I had one!
- Location: Coos Bay, OR
- Contact:
Re: A question for those running Bilstein 5100's
With the factory superduty radius arms I'm running, a 4" lift 5100 has about 1/4" shaft left at full bump. The mount on those radius arms is about 1 1/2" lower than a factory radius arm shock mount. So I'm going to assume any arm with the shock mount on top of the radius arm will have to have the bumpstop lowered. I wish I would of takin pictures of cycling the suspension, but that's the best info I can offer on the subject.
Re: A question for those running Bilstein 5100's
The 5100 that goes on the radius arm for a 4" lift will definitely hit with stock mounts and bumps. The front auxilary just hits with hard bottom. The rear radius arm shock is valved to do about 90% of the work so they dont have to make two shocks for single and double shock applications I would guess. On my stock height one I can use the radius arm shock mounted in the front position as a single and it works pretty fair. It still has about 1.5" left from bottoming. You probably wouldnt have a ton of droop with the lift but maybe some more than now. I think they make one for a 6" lift that you could possibly use full travel of mounted in the front and none on the radius arm. There just isnt enough room in the rear position for much more than stock length shocks. That gets about 9 inches of travel at the wheel mounting flange. One problem with short coil springs is they dont allow much droop either.
-
Conejoracer
- Posts: 61
- Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:26 pm
- Bronco Info: 1992 XLT 5.8, Beater
- Location: Venice, ca
Re: A question for those running Bilstein 5100's
Thanks for the info. I need to rethink my "low" approach on my Bronco. I am starting to see why most people go with 4-5" of lift.
Re: A question for those running Bilstein 5100's
The front lower mounts are not the strongest things. They are not quite up to the task of a full valved shock. I welded a large fillet around the flange to spread the load a bit and they seem to be hanging in there after the pass side started breaking off. A double shear mount would be better.
