Camburg shackles/cutting rear crossmember

User avatar
TrevorPiggott
Posts: 134
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:16 pm
Bronco Info: 99 F250 and a 1994 I started building but spends too much time sitting untouched...
Location: Folsom,CA

Camburg shackles/cutting rear crossmember

Post by TrevorPiggott »

Right now my dad and I are putting J40's on the Bronco and it looks as though the shackles may hit the crossmember, do we need to cut part of the crossmember or should we be fine?
Thanks
Trevor
Be nice to me, I'm learning....and slow in the head...
User avatar
Deleted Account
Posts: 531
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:41 pm
Bronco Info: depends on what day
Location: Ramona, California

Re: Camburg shackles/cutting rear crossmember

Post by Deleted Account »

yes you have to cut it.
User avatar
TrevorPiggott
Posts: 134
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:16 pm
Bronco Info: 99 F250 and a 1994 I started building but spends too much time sitting untouched...
Location: Folsom,CA

Re: Camburg shackles/cutting rear crossmember

Post by TrevorPiggott »

Thank you Mark
Be nice to me, I'm learning....and slow in the head...
User avatar
philofab
Basura Blanca
Posts: 5643
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
Location: Bullhead, AZ
Contact:

Re: Camburg shackles/cutting rear crossmember

Post by philofab »

The other option is to move the hangar down.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
User avatar
TrevorPiggott
Posts: 134
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:16 pm
Bronco Info: 99 F250 and a 1994 I started building but spends too much time sitting untouched...
Location: Folsom,CA

Re: Camburg shackles/cutting rear crossmember

Post by TrevorPiggott »

Right now we are trying keep the right height on the lower side so we went with cutting out the crossmember.
Be nice to me, I'm learning....and slow in the head...
User avatar
Polarcub
Posts: 1949
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:53 pm
Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 95 XLT still in the shop........
Location: Brighton, TN

Re: Camburg shackles/cutting rear crossmember

Post by Polarcub »

You don't have to trim much about 1/2" on the lip
Jeremy
User avatar
1971Ford
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:47 pm
Bronco Info: '94 Bronco 351w Full 2" cage, C/T TTB, coilovers, etc.
Location: Folsom

Re: Camburg shackles/cutting rear crossmember

Post by 1971Ford »

What do you guy's think about moving the hanger down so the lower 2 bolts bolt through the hitch receiver? It's beefy stuff, just wondering if there would be any negatives to this not that were going to do it anytime soon.
-Ryan Piggott - 1971 F250 race truck #871
Brothers '94 Bronco prerunner
vegasff13
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:51 pm
Bronco Info: 94 XLT 5.8 4in Rancho with 33in BFGs

Re: Camburg shackles/cutting rear crossmember

Post by vegasff13 »

That is how the solo shackles work, except they include the bracket that mounts to the frame and gives a mounting point for the lower two bolts.
TPiggott
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:24 pm
Bronco Info: My son has a 1989 Bronco we are building into a pre-runner for my other sons 71 Ford desert racer

Re: Camburg shackles/cutting rear crossmember

Post by TPiggott »

Won't lowering the hanger down raise the back end another 2"? Also, will the J40's settle a bit over time? With the Camburg 6" shackles and the stock hanger location, the back of this thing is at least 4" higher.
User avatar
hobbyturnedobsession
Posts: 4673
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:34 am
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0
Location: High Desert CA

Re: Camburg shackles/cutting rear crossmember

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

what do you have up front?
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
User avatar
TrevorPiggott
Posts: 134
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:16 pm
Bronco Info: 99 F250 and a 1994 I started building but spends too much time sitting untouched...
Location: Folsom,CA

Re: Camburg shackles/cutting rear crossmember

Post by TrevorPiggott »

Up front is stock except for 2.5 inch lift coils.

How much will adding Deaver 5.5 coils help pinion angle (if at all)?
Be nice to me, I'm learning....and slow in the head...
User avatar
Polarcub
Posts: 1949
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:53 pm
Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 95 XLT still in the shop........
Location: Brighton, TN

Re: Camburg shackles/cutting rear crossmember

Post by Polarcub »

TPiggott wrote:Won't lowering the hanger down raise the back end another 2"? Also, will the J40's settle a bit over time? With the Camburg 6" shackles and the stock hanger location, the back of this thing is at least 4" higher.
They will settle some but not much, I have several thousand miles on mine with a good chunk of that being in the dirt and they are pretty much where they started.

WRT to the coil question and pinion angle the front will have little effect on the rear pinion angle. The amount of lift in the J40s is the biggest factor for you. I am assuming you did not put the factory wedge back in? If you did than that also adds about 3/4" or so. I moved my perches to adjust the pinion angle and get the rear down a little bit.
Jeremy
User avatar
hobbyturnedobsession
Posts: 4673
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:34 am
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0
Location: High Desert CA

Re: Camburg shackles/cutting rear crossmember

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

youll still be stink bug but not bad. I have that setup. J40's with the rear end rotated, 5.5 springs up front, and no shims. Its really close. Much better than what your seeing on your truck now.
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
TPiggott
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:24 pm
Bronco Info: My son has a 1989 Bronco we are building into a pre-runner for my other sons 71 Ford desert racer

Re: Camburg shackles/cutting rear crossmember

Post by TPiggott »

We did put the factory shim back in and the pinion angle does not look too bad but Trevor is saying he has a vibration now that wasn't there before.
User avatar
hobbyturnedobsession
Posts: 4673
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:34 am
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0
Location: High Desert CA

Re: Camburg shackles/cutting rear crossmember

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

Thats pretty normal with those springs. If you buy a new set of perches, cut the old ones off and align the drive line with about 1 degree angle for load, and weld on the new perches itll go away. what year is it again? I haven't tried it yet but I'm going to, drop the transmission crossmember about an inch, thatll help with the double cardan joint if it has an e4od.
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
TPiggott
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:24 pm
Bronco Info: My son has a 1989 Bronco we are building into a pre-runner for my other sons 71 Ford desert racer

Re: Camburg shackles/cutting rear crossmember

Post by TPiggott »

It is an '89. I don't have a welder that can handle re-welding the perches so I am trying to avoid that. I am tempted to put another wedge in there.
User avatar
hobbyturnedobsession
Posts: 4673
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:34 am
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0
Location: High Desert CA

Re: Camburg shackles/cutting rear crossmember

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

so its a c6. those wedges are no good. I tried those and i broke the shim nipple and snapped a driveline and the mount that holds the drive line on the rear end. My advice, spend a little extra to have a good place have it done.
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: Camburg shackles/cutting rear crossmember

Post by SteveG »

TPiggott wrote:It is an '89. I don't have a welder that can handle re-welding the perches so I am trying to avoid that. I am tempted to put another wedge in there.
What kind of a welder do you have?
Sho nuff,
SteveG
TPiggott
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:24 pm
Bronco Info: My son has a 1989 Bronco we are building into a pre-runner for my other sons 71 Ford desert racer

Re: Camburg shackles/cutting rear crossmember

Post by TPiggott »

Just a cheap mig. not good for anything over 1/8"
User avatar
Polarcub
Posts: 1949
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:53 pm
Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 95 XLT still in the shop........
Location: Brighton, TN

Re: Camburg shackles/cutting rear crossmember

Post by Polarcub »

TPiggott wrote:We did put the factory shim back in and the pinion angle does not look too bad but Trevor is saying he has a vibration now that wasn't there before.
Every truck is different for sure, sounds like the best bet would be to relocate the perches. I had to put the factory shim in with the +3 springs. I had a bad vibration until I did that. I relocated my perches before I went to the J40s.
Where are you located you might be able to get some help form someone on here with welding the perches on. Can your mig go flux core without gas? That should take you up to 1/4" range for welding purposes.
Jeremy
Post Reply