Page 1 of 1
Bulletproof front end….finally
Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:39 pm
by gunit
As the Bronco got faster the stock size D44 spindles and ball joints became woefully inadequate. We tried custom 300M spindles and they broke just like the stock Ford ones. They last few years we have had success by changing the spindles out with new ones mid-race but that is time consuming and still marginal.
Now we have a new set up that uses uniballs and Trophy Truck sized 2.5” spindles. This should solve the issue and just in time for the Baja 1000!

- 4322F141-3AEA-43DF-BBE4-422051AC003B.jpeg (109.98 KiB) Viewed 6169 times

- E5245C0D-3719-49C6-9E27-45429324694E.jpeg (110.2 KiB) Viewed 6169 times

- 23129814-0199-4B1B-A076-71226FFEB090.jpeg (108.13 KiB) Viewed 6169 times
The old set up
Re: Bulletproof front end….finally
Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:09 am
by toddz69
Dang - that's impressive, Dave! Does KG Fab make the spindles too? I don't think I've ever seen any Ford spindles with that many holes drilled in it.
Todd Z.
Re: Bulletproof front end….finally
Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:44 am
by ChaseTruck754
Those look STOUT!!!
Re: Bulletproof front end….finally
Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:24 am
by gunit
toddz69 wrote: ↑Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:09 am
Dang - that's impressive, Dave! Does KG Fab make the spindles too? I don't think I've ever seen any Ford spindles with that many holes drilled in it.
Todd Z.
Todd
The 12 bolt spindle was a custom built unit out of 300M, built to the stock D44 dimensions. The 6 bolt Ford spindles can be drilled for 12 bolts
Re: Bulletproof front end….finally
Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:26 am
by gunit
The new spindles are Camburg 2.5” Trophy Truck spindles
Re: Bulletproof front end….finally
Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:29 am
by gunit
gunit wrote: ↑Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:24 am
toddz69 wrote: ↑Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:09 am
Dang - that's impressive, Dave! Does KG Fab make the spindles too? I don't think I've ever seen any Ford spindles with that many holes drilled in it.
Todd Z.
Todd
The BROKEN 12 bolt spindle was a custom built unit out of 300M, built to the stock D44 dimensions. The 6 bolt Ford spindles can be drilled for 12 bolts
Re: Bulletproof front end….finally
Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:31 pm
by 36Fan
Those came out great.
Re: Bulletproof front end….finally
Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:39 pm
by Wrightracing.net
Where did you get the hubs with the locking hub in for a 2.5" spindle? Did you have to open the wheel center? I want to do that on my Bronco.
Re: Bulletproof front end….finally
Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:36 pm
by gunit
We used BMS Trophy Truck hubs that have been machined to accept the D44 lock outs.
Re: Bulletproof front end….finally
Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:21 am
by Wrightracing.net
Thank you, I would like to do that 2.5" with Dana 50 lock outs. The reason is to run 30 spline stub axles with a 1350 U-joints.
Re: Bulletproof front end….finally
Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:21 am
by gunit
I run the RCV axles, with CV’s.
Re: Bulletproof front end….finally
Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:42 pm
by funinthesun95
nice