Power Steering Pump Upgrades/Coolers

toddz69

Re: Power Steering Pump Upgrades/Coolers

Post by toddz69 »

yikes wrote:Talked with Larry at AGR about the 867257T pump. The price is $349 and he claims the upgraded shaft costs him $128. That sounds like a realistic price for a short run of a centerless ground, heat treated, high precision shaft. It flows 6gpm, which is almost 3 times the stock pump. He stated the pump can take continuous high/low rpm transitions in high stress rock crawler type applications for years without failing. He also said the plate cooler I'm running is great and that's what he sells for their systems. That being said...

Would Tommy Lee or Howe offer a Sag pump and/or rebuild mine for the same or less? Need to look into that.

Who makes a cost conscious remote can and reservoir set-up?
I'm sure Lee or Howe would rebuild your pump for a lot less than $350. For reference, they (Lee) rebuilt the current Explorer pump (stock specs) on my truck for about $100 and a few years ago they built a modified one for about the same price or a little more.

Personally I see very little reason to consider anything else other than a canned ham pump on a van bracket from a cost or performance standpoint. If you want to get a little sporty, get the same pump and figure out a remote reservoir setup.

Todd Z.
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

yikes wrote:Who makes a cost conscious remote can and reservoir set-up?
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway- ... ,2062.html
https://www.polyperformance.com/shop/PS ... 29314.html
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

philofab wrote:
yikes wrote:Who makes a cost conscious remote can and reservoir set-up?
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway- ... ,2062.html
https://www.polyperformance.com/shop/PS ... 29314.html
=========
I like the speedway unit except for pricey fittings. I like pushon fittings for such a low pressure application.
Price is right
JY have them as well AMC uses them as do many different Gm cars.
Why do you guys think a remote res is required? I do not have one. Never saw a need.

PW
yikes
Founder
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff

Post by yikes »

PaulW wrote:
philofab wrote:Why do you guys think a remote res is required? I do not have one. Never saw a need.

PW
I just want the check/fill point to be in a convenient location.
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

Howe. Top of the line steering products
Here is his res offerings.
http://www.howeperformance.com/accessor ... rvoirs.htm
He also sells all kinds of steering stuff.
I was tempted by his undersize pulley for gooder pressure/flow at low speeds. He says it is what the rock crawler guys buy. His pulleys are not stamped metal like stock, but are much more substantial.
PW
toddz69

Post by toddz69 »

PaulW wrote: Why do you guys think a remote res is required? I do not have one. Never saw a need.

PW
You know the drill, Paul. Race cars have them so they become de rigeur for the street rigs too. Yikes' point is certainly valid. I have one on the engine in my EB because the Explorer front dress has one stock. I've run Saginaw canned ham pumps too and they work just fine.

Todd Z.
yikes
Founder
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff

Post by yikes »

toddz69 wrote:You know the drill, Paul. Race cars have them so they become de rigeur for the street rigs too.
Haha! Very true, but not here. I'm doing a lot of research into my steering due to twisting/fracturing 3 sector shafts in the last 3 years. It's time to step up to a ram, a good box and a few other more reliable components. Not looking for baller status, but safety and reliability on a budget. Spent enough on stock parts to buy a really nice system. It's time to stop the bleeding.
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

Its difficult to fill my stock pump in the stock location due to the engine cage and other stuff. It had to be done through the wheel well with the fender off.

I also wanted a way to add more fluid capacity and a filter. AN lines/fitting are cheap if you know where to get them.
ESHALLBETTER
Bronco Info: 85 class 3, 70's somthing trail bronco.

Post by ESHALLBETTER »

philofab wrote:AN lines/fitting are cheap if you know where to get them.
You must know something I don't! :lol:
Kel Fab Creations
Bronco Info: 95 Bronco

Post by Kel Fab Creations »

I installed my siginaw pump a couple days ago. Got it out of a 95 e350. My bronco is a 95 fyi. Went right in, same bolts and everything. The reservoir cap is a little tricky to get off do to the A/C line being in the way but it's doable. The new pulley measured .100 bigger than bronco pulley. The belt was pretty hard to get back on but once on did have a little slack for the tensioner to do it's job. I used the bronco low pressure line after disconnecting the clamp from the crossmember to make some slack. The van high pressure line was used after slight slight bend tweaking. All in all cost less than $35 with new fluid. I forgot to check the miles on the donor but this pump is not quite as powerful as some others have said but I'm sure that's just cause it's a used pump. All that said I can still notice a difference. It is smoother/easier and less noisy. I can imagine a new/rebuilt pump would have an equal increase in power.
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

You can change the pressure on a sag pump easily by messing with the bypass valve. You don't even have to take the pump off.
Kel Fab Creations
Bronco Info: 95 Bronco

Post by Kel Fab Creations »

philofab wrote:You can change the pressure on a sag pump easily by messing with the bypass valve. You don't even have to take the pump off.
:? Bypass valve? Where is this located?
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

Kel Fab Creations wrote:
philofab wrote:You can change the pressure on a sag pump easily by messing with the bypass valve. You don't even have to take the pump off.
:? Bypass valve? Where is this located?
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general- ... -flow.html

Lots of info here. You take the fitting off the back, pull out the piston, undo the nut on the end, and then remove shims. Put it back together and you should be at around 1400 psi. You can also drill the fitting for more flow, too big? Put an orifice back in there (washer).
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

I should add: The more pressure you make, the more heat. Add cooling or you will find yourself cooking pumps.
Drew
Bronco Info: Just picked up a 95 bronco stock. Ready to make it go fast....lol

Tranny cooler/steering

Post by Drew »

Any have the need to run steering or tranny coolers on there stock stuff?
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Re: Tranny cooler/steering

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

If you plan on hitting the desert I'd day yes to both. A better safe than sorry thing, but the trans is a good thing to have running cool vs. hot for sure.

What trans is it?
Drew
Bronco Info: Just picked up a 95 bronco stock. Ready to make it go fast....lol

Post by Drew »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:If you plan on hitting the desert I'd day yes to both. A better safe than sorry thing, but the trans is a good thing to have running cool vs. hot for sure.

What trans is it?
The stock e4od
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Post by cs_drums »

Deffinitely need a cooler. I would also recommend a punisher valve body.
DMbronco
Bronco Info: 96 XLT 351

Post by DMbronco »

x2 on the cooler and valve body.

I had my E4OD get hot and puke up on me during one of my first runs a couple years back.
Nothing like sitting on top of Superstition praying for the ol girl to cool down.

Went straight to the tranny shop, had it serviced and checked out. After a clean bill of health,
decided to do my best to prolong the life as much as possible.

The Punisher is one of my favorite mods on my 96 w E4OD.
Went with the less aggressive option (street) and have been super pleased.
No more mushy shifts; nice and firm. No more slipping (less heat).
Win win. Performance and Reliability.

I went with this cooler from B&M with an integrated fan for the tranny:
Fan is thermostatically controlled, and I wired it through the stereo so I'd know if I ever blew a fuse.

http://www.amazon.com/70298-Hi-Tek-Supe ... d+m+cooler

And I used this one for the power steering after I went hydroboost and sag swap

http://www.amazon.com/BMM-70265-Transmi ... d+m+cooler

I have read the plate type cooler may have too much pressure for power steering duty, but I had it on the shelf so went for it; no problems thus far.

I was able to tuck both coolers in right behind the grille, and no problems getting hot.
Feel free to PM if you'd like pictures on how I fit em in.
Seabass
Bronco Info: 96 bronco

Post by Seabass »

Hey DM how do you like the hydro boost. I've been watching the yards waiting for one to cross paths with me but no luck yet. CAre to post your cooler pics in here anyways? I'm doing mine soon as I have time and need ideas for mounting bracketry.