Power Steering Pump Upgrades/Coolers

philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Re: Power Steering Pump Upgrades/Coolers

Post by philofab »

The factory line works just fine if you swap the fitting on the pump. There are two metric and two standard fittings. This is the only factory way to go if you have a pressure sensor on the line like I do.

I am like the guys above. Do not have time for JY pulling and none of my local yards will pull stuff for me. I work a minimum of 71 hours a week, paying someone $50 is easier than spending an hour of my time.
Kel Fab Creations
Bronco Info: 95 Bronco

Post by Kel Fab Creations »

I'm at the yard right now pulling a pump and bracket off a 95 e350. I've heard people talking bout the 150's and 250's. The 350's are the same right?
Seabass
Bronco Info: 96 bronco

Post by Seabass »

Thats what I've read. The only inconsistant discrepancy I've found is that the compressor bolts may be larger on the van. I'd check before you leave there. Post up what they charged you for everything if you don't mind.
toddz69

Post by toddz69 »

Kel Fab Creations wrote:I'm at the yard right now pulling a pump and bracket off a 95 e350. I've heard people talking bout the 150's and 250's. The 350's are the same right?
As long as it's still a small block Ford, yes.

Todd Z.
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

I had to change AC bolts on my 96. Ace hardware had the new ones.
Kel Fab Creations
Bronco Info: 95 Bronco

Post by Kel Fab Creations »

So the pump with bracket, 2 caps, both hoses was $31. On top of that I got 2 dash AC vents, 2 door panel light lenses, 2 dash trim pieces, column shifter boot, exterior and interior trim pieces for the expedition all for only 17 bucks more! I was at the Ontario pick a part. They have 2 more vans with pump and bracket with a serpentine pulley. A 91 and a 94. They also had 2 with a v belt pulley. I was gonna grab at least one of them for one of you guys but they were closing so I didn't have time. They pull all the caps off the pumps and throw them in the engine compartment. I put a cap on one but couldn't find the other. Who's gonna be picking up they're new pump tomorrow? ;)
Seabass

Post by Seabass »

As stated by Philo this work thing really gets in the way of my playing. Just clocked in :|
yikes
Founder
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff

Post by yikes »

baja-chris wrote:Power steering systems don't like the backpressure of stacked plate coolers. Instead, use a design that uses a tube with fins for the steering cooler. They can be found in the junk yard on some cars or purchased new. Some are just a simple U shape, some have several U like a serpentine tube with fins.

Tranmissions and engine oil pumps can push through the stacked plate (radiator style) coolers easily.
I think this may be the problem with mine. I've been using a plate cooler and seem to be going through pumps like candy. Thirty hard dirt miles and it's not happy.
yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

Although I've always viewed Derale and Perma-Cool as the lower end of cooling products, I'm looking at using this one for the steering cooler due to the economics of it. Any what are your thoughts?

yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

Those are 5/8" tubes and 6an fittings.
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

yikes wrote:Although I've always viewed Derale and Perma-Cool as the lower end of cooling products, I'm looking at using this one for the steering cooler due to the economics of it. Any what are your thoughts?

==
Agree Permacool or Derale are low end. Thin tubes are fragile. Finns are even more fragile . They are like Al foil.
That picture of a blower cooler is way overkill for PS
I use a 2 pass with push-on hose fittings. And my pump is working hard. Remember the cooler goes into the return line and the pressure is very low at that point. Look at the PS coolers from Summit. 2 pass , cannot remember the length. If your packaging is bad and the cooler sees no ambient air flow its possible that a blower could be needed. Just mount the thing in front and all will be good with no blower.
PW
Seabass

Post by Seabass »

Any one run a filter in the return line? Hydraulic? Oil?
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

Seabass wrote:Any one run a filter in the return line? Hydraulic? Oil?
====
Yes. Sorry cannot give you the part or brand. Bought it at AutoZone . Its a common and uses push on barbs. about 4" long, 3" dia. Search. Lots of guys use the same one.
PW
yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

This one?

yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

Here's the one I'm running...

PaulW

Post by PaulW »

Yikes correct-- Magnefine
PW
Seabass

Post by Seabass »

Thanks guys. I've used those in the past on customer's cars with good results. Didn't dawn on me to use it on my bronco :lol:

Look what I found on PSC's website! They sell the adapter horseshoe for saginaw pumpshttp://www.pscmotorsports.com/ford-351-saginaw ... acket.html

I will be chasing down a factory van bracket my self but figured I'd share what I foound in this thread.
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

Seabass wrote:Thanks guys. I've used those in the past on customer's cars with good results. Didn't dawn on me to use it on my bronco :lol:

Look what I found on PSC's website! They sell the adapter horseshoe for saginaw pumps

http://www.pscmotorsports.com/ford-351- ... acket.html

I will be chasing down a factory van bracket my self but figured I'd share what I foound in this thread.
=======
I fixed the typo on the link
Read carefully It wont work with the preferred canned ham Sag. Its for their product which is probably pretty good from what I have read. Lots more expensive than a canned ham from Cardone.
PSC stuff is the holy grail for the Jeep guys. Ha.
They ignore the desert stuff and think its crazy- Ha again.
PW
yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

Talked with Larry at AGR about the 867257T pump. The price is $349 and he claims the upgraded shaft costs him $128. That sounds like a realistic price for a short run of a centerless ground, heat treated, high precision shaft. It flows 6gpm, which is almost 3 times the stock pump. He stated the pump can take continuous high/low rpm transitions in high stress rock crawler type applications for years without failing. He also said the plate cooler I'm running is great and that's what he sells for their systems. That being said...

Would Tommy Lee or Howe offer a Sag pump and/or rebuild mine for the same or less? Need to look into that.

Who makes a cost conscious remote can and reservoir set-up?
toddz69

Post by toddz69 »

yikes wrote:
baja-chris wrote:Power steering systems don't like the backpressure of stacked plate coolers. Instead, use a design that uses a tube with fins for the steering cooler. They can be found in the junk yard on some cars or purchased new. Some are just a simple U shape, some have several U like a serpentine tube with fins.

Tranmissions and engine oil pumps can push through the stacked plate (radiator style) coolers easily.
I think this may be the problem with mine. I've been using a plate cooler and seem to be going through pumps like candy. Thirty hard dirt miles and it's not happy.
I'm using a small stacked plate cooler on my Bronco that came off a Super Duty - it's the only OEM stacked plate cooler I think I've ever seen. Seems to work just fine but I'm going back to a tube-n-fin version because of packaging issues on my truck.

Todd Z.