Cam selection

TurboJoe
Bronco Info: 1968 with 302 Highpinion 44 and 31 spline 9" on 38's and 1996 xlt 351 prerunner in the making

Re: Cam Selection choices

Post by TurboJoe »

If you don't feel like going into the stock shortblock, I would say its perfect! The ports are so crummy and the stock cam really just needs a little more lift to be ideal. Obviously you can add duration and change the lobe centerers etc... But rockers won't give up anything on the bottom end.

Joe
robertcrav
Let me google that for you
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies

Post by robertcrav »

Hrmmm
Bronco Info: 1979 Class 3 Race Bronco. Built in 2000.

Post by 300 »

Seabass wrote:[

On the note of programming transmissions; There's a thread on the other site that someone mentioned a stand alone computer for the trans where someone programmed it where OD was applied in every gear like a splitter essentially making it a 6 speed auto. I would LOVE to have something like that. Any one here heard or seen of this? I'm sure Od would have to have more clutches and pressure applied to survive but man ... it'd be sweet.
The Enduro trophy truck was a testbed for the E4OD transmissions in the 90's and they were set up to be a 6 speed just as you mentioned. They were shifted with paddle switches on the steering wheel or a toggle switch on the dash. They were instructed to drive them until they broke them, which they usually did. The engineers would pick up the pieces and take them back to Detroit and beef them up for the next race. I overheard the drivers say it was pointless to have a 6 speed in that application with that much horsepower where three or even two speeds are fine. So it has been done before. To be of use, the ratios will all have to adjusted to work together or else you would end up with several gears being the same overall ratio (example being 2nd and OD works out to the same as 3rd, no OD).

As far as strength, the Ford trans with the OD on the front would survive just fine. It already deals with just the full engine torque. On the Dodge trans like the 46RE, it would be a problem because the OD is on the back of the trans and subject to any torque mutliplication from first or second gear added to the load the OD sees.

i just read that the new Dodge trucks will be using the OD to split the gears to end up with an 8 speed trans. No idea what trans model they are using.
wayfastwhitie
Bronco Info: 1989 4in lift billie 5100

Post by wayfastwhitie »

Call isky, a custom cam is about $30-50 more then an off the shelf but is built for your motor and will work a lot better. You wont have to sacrifice torque for hp or vise versa and you will come out with a much smoother power curve.
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Cam selection

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

So this weekend at the 500 i was flying down some woops when i hear a loud clacking. I yanked the valve cover off to find a wiggling rocker arm. I yank the rocker arm off and its okay along with a perfectly straight push rod. I believe i lost a lifter. With that in mind i was thinking some crane roller lifters and a 2020 camshaft. Its mild enough to run with the speed density but before i tear into anything i was wondering if i could get some opinions. Id also like to run some roller rockers as well keeping in mind a budget. Any opinions?
Seabass
Bronco Info: 96 bronco

Re: Cam selection

Post by Seabass »

I remember hearing something about the mustang cams being rad in our vintage trucks. A buddy of mine ran one in his tipped out lightning with good results.
robertcrav
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies

Post by robertcrav »

Not sure on the difference exactly but might want to look at the 2030 as well, from what I remember the 2031 is the same came that was used in the 5.0 Mustang Cobras (93-95) with 1.7 rockers, the 2030 was a similar cam for 1.6s both supposedly make good torque
hobbyturnedobsession

The cam is computer okay and the torque gains are enticing. Plus i dont want to have a lifter fail again and if im going to put in nice lifters i may as well upgrade the cam pushrods and rockers. I want to find out what it would cost to port the heads and intake. I know its not a major increase like the trick flow or edelbrock heads but it would help out.
robertcrav

Post by robertcrav »

I think you can pick up Windsor Sr heads for cheaper than getting the stock castings ported and they'd perform better in my opinion
Seabass

Post by Seabass »

1000-1500 aluminum namebrand heads > ported e7's

Unless you REALLY know what your doing and your time is worth nothing :lol:
The only reason I could justify putting that much effort into making them work well is if you had to run stock stuff because of a class your running in. Otherwise aluminum afrs or trick flows all day long. Since your doing pushrods trick flows would be a good choice.
robertcrav

Post by robertcrav »

But with the canted valve design of the trick flows is there enough piston/valve clearance
Seabass

Post by Seabass »

Yup unless you run a cam with lots of lift. At least the one I have can be slapped on a factory short block no ptv issues.
hobbyturnedobsession

Okay but if i end up with afrs and a really mild cam will the speed density be able to handle it?
Seabass

Post by Seabass »

I've heard some people have better luck than otheres but I can tell you my same buddy I mentioned earlier had success with a mustang cam, 1.7 rockers and 185 afrs on his speed density lightning.
hobbyturnedobsession

Isnt the lightning maf or does it strictly have just the map sensor?
Seabass

Post by Seabass »

I believe they are all speed density. Doesn't mean I'm right though :lol:
hobbyturnedobsession

I think youre right
Bondobob
Bronco Info: 1987 XLT 5.0 in the family since new in May of 1987

Post by Bondobob »

Lots of talk about speed density and how far you can go. Open versus closed loop operation as in normal driving versus WOT. When the talk centers around mods the cam LSA of 114 is important but also realize that the SD is set at given Volumetric Efficiency of the factory engine so as you make changes that bring on more airflow through the engine you run out of parameter and potentially can lean the engine out unless you modify the values in the VE tables.... Custom Tune.

As for Mass Air conversion Mustang computer won't pass the California smog nazi inspection however the 302/E4OD's can be mod'd and tuned to work with other combinations if they have the appropriate strategy. I will probably mod a Mass Air computer for my 302/AOD set up to get more tune ability when I drop in a roller motor.

A very lean cruise can also be set up that is very MPG friendly, but in no way would be clean enough for emissions. Firing 4 injectors per serving seems less than ideal.
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

Not for vintage motors, but applicable to mass air rollers.
Interesting long read
Ryan McCormick is the aftermarket EFI guy. (Same guy sells good G3 alternators)
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/sho ... php?t=6867
So he is discussing 302.351,& 460 and trying inform the masses on cam choices.
Other smart guys chime in
PW
LvSteve
Bronco Info: 1995 XLT Sport. 96 427w e4od obd II system........ SOLD IT

Post by LvSteve »

The best pcm upgrade i have used over the years has been Mark at http://www.tweecer.com/
His system is very Dyno friendly and self tunable. Just tell him what you're doing
I pass smog in NV with no egr and pump

351w stroked to 408. 95 roller block
195 afr heads 55cc chambers
42 lb injectors
90mm mas
85mm tb

I like the trick flow track max cam #TFS-51403001