Fiberglass Front Fender Install

User avatar
philofab
Basura Blanca
Posts: 5643
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
Location: Bullhead, AZ
Contact:

Re: Fiberglass Front Fender Install

Post by philofab »

Fiberglass isn't difficult, but it is very time consuming and will look like crap unless you've got an eye for it. I just find something close to what I want and then modify it, easiest way to do it. It's what I will be doing for my rear glass.
User avatar
Travisfab
Posts: 1274
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:09 pm
Bronco Info: 95 XLT 5.8 C6 Prerunner

Re: Fiberglass Front Fender Install

Post by Travisfab »

philofab wrote:Fiberglass isn't difficult, but it is very time consuming and will look like crap unless you've got an eye for it. I just find something close to what I want and then modify it, easiest way to do it. It's what I will be doing for my rear glass.

How far are you pushing the tire back?
User avatar
philofab
Basura Blanca
Posts: 5643
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
Location: Bullhead, AZ
Contact:

Re: Fiberglass Front Fender Install

Post by philofab »

Travisfab wrote:
philofab wrote:Fiberglass isn't difficult, but it is very time consuming and will look like crap unless you've got an eye for it. I just find something close to what I want and then modify it, easiest way to do it. It's what I will be doing for my rear glass.

How far are you pushing the tire back?

5" or so.... going to chop the front of the wheel well off and slide it back then fill the gap. Make it look the the photochop I put on your thread. My current wheel wells would fit 44" tires and that has always bothered me. Inner wheel well doesn't matter as I'm just going to cut it out and fill it back in with sheetmetal. Plan is to make the shocks easily serviceable with only one person.
User avatar
Travisfab
Posts: 1274
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:09 pm
Bronco Info: 95 XLT 5.8 C6 Prerunner

Re: Fiberglass Front Fender Install

Post by Travisfab »

Im pushing my wheelbase back 6 inches so it sounds like we may need the same set up
cs_drums
Posts: 2912
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:39 am
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Re: Fiberglass Front Fender Install

Post by cs_drums »

Well im jealous of both of you hahah. Im in to deep on my build to slide everything back.
fibermike
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:16 am
Bronco Info: builder of high quality ford glass parts/bronco/ranger prerunner owner

Re: Fiberglass Front Fender Install

Post by fibermike »

I dont know the bronco wheelbase what is it? I know the truck is about 133" and a TT is 125" (most are) By moving the wheelbase back Iknow it will handle better but will it not change the looks of the bronco? And need new glass.
User avatar
philofab
Basura Blanca
Posts: 5643
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
Location: Bullhead, AZ
Contact:

Re: Fiberglass Front Fender Install

Post by philofab »

fibermike wrote:I dont know the bronco wheelbase what is it? I know the truck is about 133" and a TT is 125" (most are) By moving the wheelbase back Iknow it will handle better but will it not change the looks of the bronco? And need new glass.
Factory wheelbase is listed as 104.7, and most of us are +1 in the front, so after moving the axle back we will be at 111-112 range. I am going to modify the glass I have and then possibly make a mold off of it to make spares if needed. I actually like the way it looks with the rear axle moved back, take a look at the two photos I posted on the last page. One is stock, and the other is photoshopped with the wheel moved back and wheel well shrunk up.
User avatar
philofab
Basura Blanca
Posts: 5643
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
Location: Bullhead, AZ
Contact:

Re: Fiberglass Front Fender Install

Post by philofab »

Ooops, different thread, photos below:

Before:

Image


After:

Image


This measures out to 5"
fibermike
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:16 am
Bronco Info: builder of high quality ford glass parts/bronco/ranger prerunner owner

Re: Fiberglass Front Fender Install

Post by fibermike »

My eye tells me thats only three inches.
User avatar
RyanDS650X
Posts: 1868
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:13 am
Bronco Info: Autofab '96 XLT 5.8
Location: Mesa, AZ
Contact:

Re: Fiberglass Front Fender Install

Post by RyanDS650X »

Closer comparison
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1392332647828.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1392332647828.jpg (74.71 KiB) Viewed 1075 times
User avatar
philofab
Basura Blanca
Posts: 5643
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
Location: Bullhead, AZ
Contact:

Re: Fiberglass Front Fender Install

Post by philofab »

fibermike wrote:My eye tells me thats only three inches.
Eyecronometer is off... tape measure verified 5". That's good if it doesn't look like that much of a stretch to an experienced eye though!
fibermike
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:16 am
Bronco Info: builder of high quality ford glass parts/bronco/ranger prerunner owner

Re: Fiberglass Front Fender Install

Post by fibermike »

Tell me that the back side of the tire is 5" difference between photos? You obviously have it at a different depth. I have very good eyes for measuring, must be camera angle or depth. But im not there. But its ok. No biggy. The front tells better. Its what i call "an optional delusion."
fibermike
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:16 am
Bronco Info: builder of high quality ford glass parts/bronco/ranger prerunner owner

Re: Fiberglass Front Fender Install

Post by fibermike »

But I do wish fiberglass wasn't difficult. 60 years experiance and i still run into problems.
User avatar
philofab
Basura Blanca
Posts: 5643
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
Location: Bullhead, AZ
Contact:

Re: Fiberglass Front Fender Install

Post by philofab »

fibermike wrote:Tell me that the back side of the tire is 5" difference between photos? You obviously have it at a different depth. I have very good eyes for measuring, must be camera angle or depth. But im not there. But its ok. No biggy. The front tells better. Its what i call "an optional delusion."
Tire is 5" back in both photos, wheelwell is the difference. For some reason John built these rear fenders with huge wheelwells, probably could clear 44s. These tires in the photo are 35s and I will be running 37s so I will be moving the rear part of the wheel well back a little too. Travis, one other, and myself are the only ones doing this type of stretch so I doubt it's worth anyones time to make a specific fender for this. I won't be selling copies of the fenders I make without approval of John at Autofab since they will be based off his stuff. Inside wheelwell will be competely cut out for more bump travel and possibly flare the fender further for bump clearance. I have a feeling Travis plans the same.

The fiberglass is easy comment refers to the actual process, not the skill that makes it look good and fit correctly. I will compare it to tile work... laying tile is easy, making the layout look good and keeping everything square is not. Both are very time consuming to do well, but can be done much quicker if quality is not a consern.
User avatar
Travisfab
Posts: 1274
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:09 pm
Bronco Info: 95 XLT 5.8 C6 Prerunner

Re: Fiberglass Front Fender Install

Post by Travisfab »

I am planning on the same thing. Like Philo said, what we need is going to be different than a lot of people will need. F150 bedsides will be a starting point for me. I'm shooting for a nice flat top, I dont like how all the 3" bedsides have such a gradual roll down to the flare.

Here's the 6" push back I am doing

Image
fibermike
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:16 am
Bronco Info: builder of high quality ford glass parts/bronco/ranger prerunner owner

Re: Fiberglass Front Fender Install

Post by fibermike »

That doesnt look bad, it seems to fit rather well, Plus your pretty tricky with the photoshop. We are going to morph our rear bronco glass to fit pickup as we have a few guys waiting for them.
Post Reply