Power Steering Pump Upgrades/Coolers

denhabr
Bronco Info: '96 XL 5.0L/E4OD "Autofab" Preunnner/Chase Truck by Utah's Ojive Industries & dp custom fab

Re: Power Steering Pump Upgrades/Coolers

Post by denhabr »

Seabass wrote:Is that the same saginaw pump casting that would come on athe e-series and the adapter is only so you don't have to buy a new bracket?
Seabass wrote:Denhabr did you get any prices with your email? Cost is pretty much the deciding factor for all my projects. :D
Yes, from what the tech guy said, these additional adapters (attached to the front of the Saginaw pump) permit a direct bolt on to the late model P/S bracket...giving you, the owner, one of their Saginaw Super Pumps with the correct shaft length and a turned down shaft to accept the OEM Ford pulley. That, and the required cutting and grinding to the OEM bracket to the accept the Saginaw pump (per above pictures.) OR...get that bracket and Saginaw pump from a donor E-Series van and go that route...?

I just Googled the part numbers, and came up with these pricing figures:
  • AGR #809156 (the worked-over Ford CII pump): $136 @ Summit w/ Free Shipping
  • AGR #867257 (the Saginaw Super Pump w/ spacer): $242 @ Jegs
  • AGR 'T' Option: Call them for contents and pricing
I think that the worked-over CII pump (809156) option sounds like a pretty good deal to me, and looks like the route I may take. About all I can tell you for now...give AGR a call and see what they say.
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Post by cs_drums »

I think once Im done milking the one in my truck I will be going with the reworked CII, a legit cooler and quality fluid.

So what is the fluid of choice?
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

You only need to grind/cut the bracket if you use the canned ham res. external res and the regular res fit just fine.
Seabass
Bronco Info: 96 bronco

Post by Seabass »

My steering box is getting sloppy. Any upgrades before I open my wallet? Maybe quicker ratio box out of another model/year?
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

Seabass wrote:My steering box is getting sloppy. Any upgrades before I open my wallet? Maybe quicker ratio box out of another model/year?
=====
Pro rebuild will work fine. Chances are you will find a cracked shaft like most of us/ Lots of good rebuilders like West texas and tommy Lee.

PW
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

No easy way to get a better ratio, only way to fix is a quickener or swingset + a ram.
Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Post by Rmc »

Side note: with a quickener you will need a higher volume pump to avoid cavitation of the pump depending on quickener/multiplier ratio, I believe 2:1 ratio can become an issue with a stock pump under quick full left to full right steering wheel moves, currently I have a 1.5:1 but have yet to try it with the stock ford ps pump.
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

Rmc wrote:Side note: with a quickener you will need a higher volume pump to avoid cavitation of the pump depending on quickener/multiplier ratio, I believe 2:1 ratio can become an issue with a stock pump under quick full left to full right steering wheel moves, currently I have a 1.5:1 but have yet to try it with the stock ford ps pump.
====
No quickener. I run a Saginaw pump and a ram assist on the 96. I had the pump detailed for that combo by Lee. I suspect the pressure was modified, but I have no idea about flow?. No complaints .
BTW, the looseness I has was totally a result of loose TREs. Something worth checking if you do not like what seems to be a loose steering box.
From all my reading the Ford pump is inferior to the various GM products. The Sag pump fits nicely using the E150 bracket designed for it. Not sure about a bracket for the Delco?
Psc is a company that specializes in after market steering. I see they have Variable ratio boxes for some applications.
PW
Seabass

Post by Seabass »

I'm sure my tie rod ends are tired as well. It's the oddest feeling. The steering wheel is difficult to turn at highway speeds and then when you do turn a little it'll stay there and not want to return to center by itself. If it didn't all cost so damn much I'd do the ambulance tie rods, van pump and a box if needed. but I gotta take this in steps to save me from going to the poor house.
Seabass

Post by Seabass »

Piling up parts to knock this out in one day and have a question about the van bracket conversion. If I do this with new parts what do I need? Can I use the truck/bronco pulley on the sag pump?

Van bracket
Van pump
Van high pressure hose
Anything I'm missing?
Kel Fab Creations
Bronco Info: 95 Bronco

Post by Kel Fab Creations »

I looked into doing it with new parts as well but I couldn't find the bracket anywhere new. In addition to the three parts you listed you may need a longer belt. Some say you do, some say you don't. You will use the pulley that's already on the van pump. Here's the best right up I've found.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/78502 ... -pics.html
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

Kel Fab Creations wrote:I looked into doing it with new parts as well but I couldn't find the bracket anywhere new. In addition to the three parts you listed you may need a longer belt. Some say you do, some say you don't. You will use the pulley that's already on the van pump. Here's the best right up I've found.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/78502 ... -pics.html
=====
Using the van stuff - no belt change
Van brackets have to be detailed for the Sag can ham pump. Stay away from the vendor brackets.
Take the junk yard pump to the auto store and exchange for a rebuilt Cardone. Make sure the replacement has the same shaft as the van one. They come with 2 differed size shafts.
Yes. Use the Van pulley
The HF pulley kit works fine all that is needed is some extra washers.
PW
Seabass

Post by Seabass »

I'm trying to skip the expedition to the junkyard. I have the homie hook up at ford and if the bracket is reasonably priced I'll just be starting with that and turning in my existing pump as a core. Do you you what year split the two shafts pulley combos came out of?
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

GM uses the big shaft. Ford uses the small one. Compare old vs new to be sure.
I paid $10 for a van bracket + used pump w pulley.
Go to a full service yard and they will do the labor and charge accordingly.
My donor was a 95
PW
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

Seabass wrote:I'm trying to skip the expedition to the junkyard. I have the homie hook up at ford and if the bracket is reasonably priced I'll just be starting with that and turning in my existing pump as a core. Do you you what year split the two shafts pulley combos came out of?
=====
You are making it very hard.
Cannot believe you can order stuff for the conversion? Never heard of anyone doing that? Nobody sells what is needed. Go the JY and get what is required.
PW
Kel Fab Creations
Bronco Info: 95 Bronco

Post by Kel Fab Creations »

It is very quick/easy to pull the parts off. The problem is locating a good donor. I don't wanna have to gamble if a pull it yourself yard has it in the yard. I've been calling around this morning. I think I'm gonna just pay 50 to a place I know has it already pulled.
cs_drums

Post by cs_drums »

I am milking my PS pump and am thinking of doing this swap myself. If you guys could post all the part # you end up using when your done that could save me alot of frusteration.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Carefully with the places who do the parts pulling for you. I've been told many times in the past "yeah, we have that, come on over." Only to get there, have them fiddle around & send a guy to the back to look and say "No, we don't have one, not sure why they told you we did."

It's been a LONG time since I hit the yards for parts like this and that is one major reason why. The other reason is pretty much what you mentioned Kelly - I hate going from yard to yard wasting my time HOPING they have a car/truck with the parts I want. From what I've seen - 90% of the time they don't in the 4 yards that are semi local (still wya too much of a drive) to me.

My time is worth more then the $$ saved on parts, so now I either tell a buddy who hits yards regularly what to look out for (Travis - Tchagados on here is good with this - I'm sure he'd pull parts for people for some cash for his time!), or find a truck parting on craigslist. The CL thing takes some time sometimes, but I'm not usually in a rush for the parts. If I am I check eBay - but unfortunately I usually pay accordingly there.
cs_drums

Post by cs_drums »

A-1 CARDONE Part # 207878 Does Not Include Reservoir Cap REMANUFACTURED w/ Reservoir
$34.79 $10.00 $44.79

1994 FORD E-150 5.8L V8
Steering : Power Steering Pump PulleyRelated Parts
DORMAN Part # 300020 {#E7UZ2A635D} Plastic; O.D.; 5.866"; Width: 1.130"; Belt Type: Serpentine; ID: 1.122"
$29.99 $0.00 $29.99

Found this so far. The bracket is the trick. Other than costing more is there any reason not to go to AN lines and fittings?
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

Don't over work the issue
Its not about money. U just have to have the E150 bracket. That means a trip to the JY.
U get the bracket at the JY. The pump is just core for the exchange, except the pulley - reuse that.
Get new High press line at NAPA - done
PW