Dana 44- Open, LS - Thoughts on your setup??

Tchajagos
Bronco Info: 1993 xlt stock on 33' BFGs

Post by Tchajagos »

What's the part number on the truetrac you guys run and do you have to use the spring in the slip joint trick?
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

Since I am running a 408 stroker, I wonder if that pump will keep up with me shooting for 400-500hp

David...
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Re:

Wrightracing.net wrote:Since I am running a 408 stroker, I wonder if that pump will keep up with me shooting for 400-500hp

David...
Sorry wrong thread, Steve, can you delete this please.

David...
Wrightracing.net

In my case, I will be running a bolt on passenger side axle, so no need for the spring trick. I just picked up a third member with the axles for $150 on Ebay. I just need 4:88 gears now.

David...
arse_sidewards
Bronco Info: 94 F150, 133"+8ft, 4x4, 4.9, E4OD, lots of rust

Re: Dana 44- Open, LS - Thoughts on your setup??

Post by arse_sidewards »

Tchajagos wrote:What's the part number on the truetrac you guys run and do you have to use the spring in the slip joint trick?
I do spring outside the slip. I just happened to have a spring that was the right size to go over the splines but not slip over the axle and was about the right rate. I didn't feel like digging through my bucked of springs to find something else and was in a time crunch (as in I literally slapped it together, went around the block, fixed some rubbing brake stuff and then went on a road trip the next AM) so welding the cap and putting a stiff spring in was out of the question. I like the outside spring better because it's got enough space to 100% guarantee it won't bind in full droop. Next time it's apart I'm gonna buy/make a set of split shaft collars (old connecting rods work well) for the axle and yoke because I'm concerned about the outside spring riding up the axle shaft in the long term. All this mess resides within the boot. I've thought about DIYing a bolt on retainer onto a later housing but further investigation will probably wait until I slice and dice a different D44 for a different project. Without massive drop brackets there really isn't enough down-travel to get the beams at an angle where the slip joint will fall out. At best they're pointed at 10 and 2 with the beams fully compressed. You'd need to get them much closer to 11 and 1 before things can fall out. That would require tons of frame clearance and massive drop brackets The real concern is the slip yoke binding, pulling the shaft mostly out of the diff and then stripping splines. I haven't measured specifically for spline engagement any time I've cycled so take this with a grain of salt.
'94 F150, 4.9L, lockers at both ends
Phoenix0783
Bronco Info: No more Bronco :(

Post by Phoenix0783 »

Tchajagos wrote:What's the part number on the truetrac you guys run
Depends on your gear ratio
My car is a hybrid; it burns gas and rubber.
Tchajagos

Post by Tchajagos »

Phoenix0783 wrote:
Tchajagos wrote:What's the part number on the truetrac you guys run
Depends on your gear ratio
4.10s
Tchajagos

Post by Tchajagos »

I picked up this one but the guy said it was out of a jeep d44. I'm hoping it will work for the front. If not I will just resell it to a jeeper.
S00TLYFE
Bronco Info: IT RAPTOR NOW

Post by S00TLYFE »

I've heard people run the factory limited slips (can't think of name right now) has anyone ran those? Can you run them with 4.56? Haven't been able to find that out. Trac loc I think they're called.
https://donttellmywiferacing.bigcartel.com/ (We have shirts, stickers, saginaw pumps, and other Bronco/OBS goodies)
LvSteve
Bronco Info: 1995 XLT Sport. 96 427w e4od obd II system........ SOLD IT

Post by LvSteve »

birdco85
Bronco Info: 95 5.8 MAF E4OD

Post by birdco85 »

I'm running a Trac lok up front with 4.88. I like it so far. I for sure wouldn't do a locker, the limited slip makes it hard enough to turn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
arse_sidewards

Post by arse_sidewards »

birdco85 wrote:I'm running a Trac lok up front with 4.88. I like it so far. I for sure wouldn't do a locker, the limited slip makes it hard enough to turn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The automatic (lunch-box or Detroit) gives no resistance when you're not on the gas hard enough to lock it up. The LS has the same amount of resistance all the time because the clutches in it are always trying to prevent the side gears from spinning at different speeds. That's specifically why I selected a lunch-box (the price was a nice bonus, but I still could've found a Junkyard D44 LS cheaper). Traction when I need it but it acts like an open diff when the transfer case isn't engaged.
Wrightracing.net

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Tru-track LS does not have any Clutches in it? That was a selling point for me, mo friction additives to deal with and rebuildable. I have not put mine in yet but I have drove a friend's with one up front in the sand and Dirt roads. I felt the front end was more responsive in turns over my open diff in the Bronco. I personally don't think it was harder to turn off road.

David... :-)
Wrightracing.net

Typo, need edit, mo = No Friction Additives needed.

David... :-)
BDKW1
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!

Post by BDKW1 »

Correct, no clutch's in the Tru-trac.

Although, there is these....... http://www.wavetrac.net/

Similar to a Tru-Trac but it has a speed sensitive clutch in the middle. I am unsure how long a clutch of that size would hold up off road though. Street cars rarely lift a wheel while WFO.......
arse_sidewards

Post by arse_sidewards »

I forgot that the TT was the one without clutches. If you can't lift one wheel and spin it fairly freely you're going to get a lot of feedback and it's gonna want to go straight. Obviously there's a lot of room for fine tuning based on limited slip design but that's the gist of it.
Tchajagos

Post by Tchajagos »

Just saw that broncograveyard sells the springs for the axle

http://shop.broncograveyard.com/mobile/ ... nfo/32009/
JonMac31
Bronco Info: 1994, 351w, 2.5x12" Sway-Away (500/600#), Deaver J40 w/ Camburg ext. Shackle/Bilstein 5100 14"

Post by JonMac31 »

So I think this was answered in a previous comment... but being new to lockers and such I am going to ask again in hopes to gain clarification.
I have manual locking hubs up front - so if I were to put a locker up front in the D44, then:
Hubs are unlocked = technically "open" differential
Hubs are locked = utilize the locker

Is this correct?
arse_sidewards

Post by arse_sidewards »

JonMac31 wrote:So I think this was answered in a previous comment... but being new to lockers and such I am going to ask again in hopes to gain clarification.
I have manual locking hubs up front - so if I were to put a locker up front in the D44, then:
Hubs are unlocked = technically "open" differential
Hubs are locked = utilize the locker

Is this correct?
Hubs unlocked = 2wd
JonMac31
Bronco Info: 1994, 351w, 2.5x12" Sway-Away (500/600#), Deaver J40 w/ Camburg ext. Shackle/Bilstein 5100 14"

Post by JonMac31 »

arse_sidewards wrote:Hubs unlocked = 2wd
Lol, Doh! Total blonde moment there...

Okay, so if the hubs are then locked - but 4 wheel drive is not engaged, are you still using the locker?

I guess what I am trying to say is if I have a locker in the front and I want to drive around town with the hubs locked (due to snow or whatever), will the locker be engaged? Or does it not engage until I push the 4wd button?

Sorry for my lack of knowledge! This stuff is still so new to me... :?