Rear track width??
- 1Hondalover
- Posts: 819
- Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 2:30 pm
- Bronco Info: Having so much fun with friends in Baja, we're not sure if we want to race NORRA.....
- Location: Santa Clarita
Re: Rear track width??
OK......that's 4 of us that think the matched track width is the way to go. Anyone else one way or another?
- Andy Jones
- Posts: 2209
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:47 pm
- Bronco Info: In the Works!
- Location: Canyon Lake,ca
- Contact:
Rear track width??
Matched!
- rdcjuanb
- Posts: 262
- Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:37 pm
- Bronco Info: 1995 Bronco parked in garage. Long term project.
- Location: Rancho Santa Margarita
- Contact:
Re: Rear track width??
One of the OG TT guys I cannot for the life of me remember right now swore by 2" narrower in the rear for tracking and not hit everything that the front hits, less flats or something like that. I will keep looking for it. It was a Walker, Ragland type guy though.
-
cs_drums
- Posts: 2912
- Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:39 am
- Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished
Rear track width??
I heard the same thing forgot who from. One thing to consider is fiberglass too. Cause of the camber change you can go wider up front and not worry about the fenders to bad but in back you need a lot of fender to cover.
- Wrightracing.net
- Posts: 2235
- Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:58 pm
- Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.
- Location: San Diego
- Contact:
-
XTate
- Posts: 97
- Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:11 pm
- Bronco Info: 95 Bronco stock not for long
- Location: south of the Gila
Re: Rear track width??
What is the stock front ttb width WM to WM ?
-
hollandermotorsports
- Posts: 969
- Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:56 am
- Bronco Info: 1990 Bronco lifted, 1995 Centurian F-150 with body lift delete
Re: Rear track width??
What I posted was my personal experience and a few others I have talked about the issue to. My driving habits are running hard into turns and trying to exit quickly so I have found slightly narrower rear allows the front to control the rear not the other way around. Now think about it this way when you go race go carts at the local K1 or where ever front is slightly narrower than rear correct? Does it push in the turn or can you stay on it wide open through the turn? Ok now this go watch any video of Jason Voss and compare to any other Non Jimco V-1 truck which handles turns better how do the 2 trucks handle the turns are either diving trying to push or roll over? I know this answer because I am personal friends with the guys that designed and built the og jimco trucks and now they changed their design completely and not because it was working great. Don't get me wrong in a straight line same track width or slightly narrower up front is great. Jason is very fast wide open desert but tight technical stuff that truck is not nearly as fast as other layouts. Now back to bronco stuff. If you have match track width on a Bronco what happens when your front travel droops slightly get a little camber change what happened to your track width? It gets narrow. How about when your akerman is slightly off like 95% of the broncos ever built suddenly your camber changes every time you turn your steering wheel and you are narrow up front while moving forward. Add a spool, some dirt, a little side wall flex suddenly your heavy pig is pushing through turns and handles like crap. This is only my personal experience and personal preference which is 100% hands on and I have experienced 1st hand while driving. Lash away lol
- funinthesun95
- Posts: 1701
- Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 2:06 pm
- Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco MAF UsShift
- Location: San Diego
- Contact:
Re: Rear track width??
XTate wrote:What is the stock front ttb width WM to WM ?
WMS to WMS on stock should be 65 inches
Good people + Great info = GFB
@csracingteam
@Cockstarmotorsports
@csracingteam
@Cockstarmotorsports
- funinthesun95
- Posts: 1701
- Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 2:06 pm
- Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco MAF UsShift
- Location: San Diego
- Contact:
Re: Rear track width??
Like everything we do..... No right answer as everyone has a reason they do what they do weather it is looks, handling, glass, wheel off set, and if you are getting used parts or ordering new parts.
Black Bronco I have -Rear matches Front
Slappy style bronco I have -Rear is 1 inch each side narrower then front.
Black Bronco I have -Rear matches Front
Slappy style bronco I have -Rear is 1 inch each side narrower then front.
Good people + Great info = GFB
@csracingteam
@Cockstarmotorsports
@csracingteam
@Cockstarmotorsports
-
XTate
- Posts: 97
- Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:11 pm
- Bronco Info: 95 Bronco stock not for long
- Location: south of the Gila
Re: Rear track width??
So 9in over in front is going to put you at 74 inch, Like somebody allready brought up I do not know of/or can find rear fiberglass that will work with a rearend that is 74in WM to WM. What am I missing?
-
VintageIronFab
- Posts: 2338
- Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 12:25 am
- Bronco Info: Bronco List:
- Location: Phoenix, AZ
Re: Rear track width??
its 6" over glass-- I would hope it would work-- hope-- a 35" tall tire at stock width fits fine
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com
77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
-
cs_drums
- Posts: 2912
- Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:39 am
- Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished
Rear track width??
I think 74 is max that would fit with my 6" McNeil bedsides. I'm at 72 right now.
-
cs_drums
- Posts: 2912
- Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:39 am
- Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished
Rear track width??
I think this is a dead horse being beat. I highly doubt many people that have a 2-3" narrower than front truck could tell the difference if they gained 1-2" more per side. Actually I'd wager money on it.
Buddy has some nice 2" spacers all set up for 5/8" studs. Who wants to be a Guinea pig?!?
Buddy has some nice 2" spacers all set up for 5/8" studs. Who wants to be a Guinea pig?!?
- funinthesun95
- Posts: 1701
- Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 2:06 pm
- Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco MAF UsShift
- Location: San Diego
- Contact:
Re: Rear track width??
XTate wrote:So 9in over in front is going to put you at 74 inch, Like somebody allready brought up I do not know of/or can find rear fiberglass that will work with a rearend that is 74in WM to WM. What am I missing?
you can make it work. over all out side of tire to out side of tire .....is all you need to worry about and glass can be trimmed if needed.
Good people + Great info = GFB
@csracingteam
@Cockstarmotorsports
@csracingteam
@Cockstarmotorsports
-
dtbback
- Posts: 1677
- Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:45 am
- Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig
Re: Rear track width??
I was rereading the "stretched wheelbase" thread and read a response that has had me scratching my head all night.
When PaulW was referencing his old bronco he stated that the rear axle it had was made to "van width", 68 wms, and running stock Alcoa 10 hole wheels. I'm also pretty sure he was running stock width beams. Does that mean you can have a 68 wms axle and have a matched front and rear track, with stock width beams?
When PaulW was referencing his old bronco he stated that the rear axle it had was made to "van width", 68 wms, and running stock Alcoa 10 hole wheels. I'm also pretty sure he was running stock width beams. Does that mean you can have a 68 wms axle and have a matched front and rear track, with stock width beams?
Re: Rear track width??
Subject never came up so was never measured by me. PITA to measure anyway - wheels off and 2 jacks to get the beams where they belong for measurement.
Yes stock front, cut & turn.
Yes stock front, cut & turn.
-
VintageIronFab
- Posts: 2338
- Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 12:25 am
- Bronco Info: Bronco List:
- Location: Phoenix, AZ
Re: Rear track width??
All I know is this- my f150 is 9" wider front and rear and there's no way in hell I would do it again. Cost is huge/time investment is huge.
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com
77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
-
dtbback
- Posts: 1677
- Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:45 am
- Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig
Re: Rear track width??
Because I had to know the answer to this, I busted out my tape measure and found out.
Right now I am stock width running 17x8.5 +0 KMC beadlocks and brand new 35" KO2s. There's a very nice casting rib in the smack in the center of the KO2.
Front Track Width = 66.50"
Rear Track Width. = 65.75"
Right now I am stock width running 17x8.5 +0 KMC beadlocks and brand new 35" KO2s. There's a very nice casting rib in the smack in the center of the KO2.
Front Track Width = 66.50"
Rear Track Width. = 65.75"
