suspension questions

Piyakoracing
Bronco Info: 357w, crower cam, modified tranny and heads, 35's grabbers, bilsteins 5100's, 4inch lift chronomolly

Re: suspension questions

Post by Piyakoracing »

My work get done by MetFab he specializes in rock crawlers and jeeps but has done some bronco's. He's charging me 450 for a roll cage similar to the one of Tony's labor and material
Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Post by Rmc »

Make shure it's quality material if he provides it. Don't cheap out n get welded seam mild steel for a cage, your life is not worth the difference in cost.
Piyakoracing
Bronco Info: 357w, crower cam, modified tranny and heads, 35's grabbers, bilsteins 5100's, 4inch lift chronomolly

Post by Piyakoracing »

10-4
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

My concern with work down there is not only the quality of the metal provided, but also the fact that the shielding gas they get down there doesn't seem to be as good quality wise as up here = it doesn't really do it's job.

As for the skill of the fab guy - that's up to you. If you've seen his work & it looks good & you trust him - go for it. I've seen LOTS of nasty stuff built on the other side of the border! They do have some skilled fab guys hiding down there as well though.
baja-chris

Post by baja-chris »

Regarding Mexi-fab:
You can get good steel, welding gasses, and other materials in Mexico and there are skilled craftsmen in Mexico who take the time to measure and fit and do it right. And there are hacks who low bid, cut corners, use cheap materials and just slap stuff together without checking fit or accuracy. In other words its just like what's available north of the border. With that said, comparing the best fab work I've seen north of the border, I've yet to see that quality level from Mexico. However I have seen many Mexican built chassis that were above average and just fine and built with 4130 with good welds, good fit etc. There are several shops that do good work with good materials in Mexico and the prices are generally lower. You need to check references from previous customers and make sure there are no communication issues regarding what you are paying for. As a general rule, it costs more for materials and less for labor in Mexico vs. the US. And if a price is too good to believe then beware. Nobody is going to work for free and take a loss on materials - on either side of the border.

Personally, I would have no problem having a chassis built in Mexico and having them do things like tin work. But I'd bring it back to the US to complete it mostly because it's easier and cheaper to buy all the stuff needed to finish a car up here.
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Post by cs_drums »

I would fel more comfortable in a stock truck than a truck with a $450 cage. I think I have spent close to double that in material for 2" DOM. If your gonna do it do it right.
baja-chris

Post by baja-chris »

cs_drums wrote:I would fel more comfortable in a stock truck than a truck with a $450 cage. I think I have spent close to double that in material for 2" DOM. If your gonna do it do it right.
Agreed. I can't buy decent cage materials for $450.
cs_drums

Post by cs_drums »

I dont mean to come off as rude I just think safety is paramount and the reality is you get what you pay for(or work for)
cs_drums

Post by cs_drums »

Also alot of design goes into the multi layer cab construction to make it survive alot in its stock form. A good cage you will cut most of that structure out to make way for the new cage to fit. So you make it weaker before making it stronger. There is alot more to good fab than good loking bends, welds, notchs and dimple plates. Design is key and this is where you are paying more for people who know what they are doing. The worst case senario happens and your budget cage fails it could have worse results than in a stock truck.