Fiberglass Front Fender Install

VintageIronFab
Posts: 2338
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 12:25 am
Bronco Info: Bronco List:
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Fiberglass Front Fender Install

Post by VintageIronFab »

Mike-- are you talking about the new 6" over fenders you have that are on that gun-metal gray truck? Would partnering with a known suspension builder be a smart idea? Just so that you can build a product that wont have to have the fender owner build the arms to match?? Seems like there are a couple builders of 3.5" and 4.5" over beams. To me thats the issue with the Fiberwerks Raptor conversion pieces-- if you are 12" wider than stock then if you have to buy (as most guys dont have the tooling to build rear ends) a rear end with custom every damn thing. If you would build an uber high quality Raptor conversion with a stock hinge hood-- I think you would honestly sell a decent amount of units.
User avatar
philofab
Basura Blanca
Posts: 5643
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
Location: Bullhead, AZ
Contact:

Re: Fiberglass Front Fender Install

Post by philofab »

6 inch over glass with 4 over beams and regular offset wheels matches up well.
fibermike
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:16 am
Bronco Info: builder of high quality ford glass parts/bronco/ranger prerunner owner

Re: Fiberglass Front Fender Install

Post by fibermike »

FiberW, glasswerks have already saturated the Raptor style kits. I cant see trying to compete with them in that area. I think philo fab has a better grip on whats happening in the suspension area, I dont delve into that area. I know builders that know a lot more than I do.

I do suggest getting fenders before starting a build though. Too many guys, build a truck, (regarless of type, TT, 7100 ,6100, street) then start looking around for a fender to fit the build and cant find the right setup. I constantly get those calls. We in the glass industry cant cover all the bases. The tooling for a part is 85% pattern, 10% mold and 5% part. So, how many parts do I have to build to break even? 20. The gray truck is 90" to the outside of the tread.
Rmc
El Jefe
Posts: 6028
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:22 pm
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner
Location: IE SoCal
Contact:

Re: Fiberglass Front Fender Install

Post by Rmc »

Mike you hit the nail on the head on this one. I built a truck and went on a 6 month quest for glass wide enough. At that time there was only one on the market in the correct width and Rick gieser owned the mold. So after some haggling and paying that guy a 900$ " mold fee" I was able to purchase the actual front clip for an additional 900$ from the builder. Long story short I know I was getting screwed but the result of not paying that amount was not having glass to run or I could have narrowed my rear end, bought new axels and chopped up the front suspension I had just finished building. Moral of the story is make all suspension components fit what you plan on running or you can look foreward to getting stuck having to get someone to build custom glass and it will not be cheap I can promise you that.
fibermike
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:16 am
Bronco Info: builder of high quality ford glass parts/bronco/ranger prerunner owner

Re: Fiberglass Front Fender Install

Post by fibermike »

RMC. Gieser, and others (wont mention) all have thier glass built for them so they can make a markup to the customer. They use Fiberwerx or trailor products. Your better off dealing straight with the MFR, when you can.
User avatar
Travisfab
Posts: 1274
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:09 pm
Bronco Info: 95 XLT 5.8 C6 Prerunner

Re: Fiberglass Front Fender Install

Post by Travisfab »

Here's some of the inner structure on mine
Image
Rmc
El Jefe
Posts: 6028
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:22 pm
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner
Location: IE SoCal
Contact:

Re: Fiberglass Front Fender Install

Post by Rmc »

fibermike wrote:RMC. Gieser, and others (wont mention) all have thier glass built for them so they can make a markup to the customer. They use Fiberwerx or trailor products. Your better off dealing straight with the MFR, when you can.
I was dealing with trailer prod, Fiberwerx ect. I ran around with a tape measure measuring the insides of the molds, trailer prod said they couldn't sell it to me cause they were customer owned molds. That's how I found myself in that position. I tried going mfg. direct. I just want guys ( builders ) to realize glass is an important step BEFORE you go building something.
User avatar
Travisfab
Posts: 1274
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:09 pm
Bronco Info: 95 XLT 5.8 C6 Prerunner

Re: Fiberglass Front Fender Install

Post by Travisfab »

It's really simple. Dont build a huge retarded wide truck and you will be fine.
fibermike
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:16 am
Bronco Info: builder of high quality ford glass parts/bronco/ranger prerunner owner

Re: Fiberglass Front Fender Install

Post by fibermike »

I agree with travis. I see that a lot (too wide). The new 6100 class is won by trucks that are 85" tread. By the way, Track is the center of the wheel (at backing plate side to side) Like train or wagon wheels or chariot from roman history. Its not track to outside like 95% of peoples posts. But its become standard nomanclature. The dictionary is a good tool, read it.
fibermike
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:16 am
Bronco Info: builder of high quality ford glass parts/bronco/ranger prerunner owner

Re: Fiberglass Front Fender Install

Post by fibermike »

My question is, how wide do you have to go to not hit the inside wheel well with the tire?
User avatar
Travisfab
Posts: 1274
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:09 pm
Bronco Info: 95 XLT 5.8 C6 Prerunner

Re: Fiberglass Front Fender Install

Post by Travisfab »

fibermike wrote:My question is, how wide do you have to go to not hit the inside wheel well with the tire?

At 4 over per side, my truck is about 89" wide, glad it's not any wider

Image
fibermike
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:16 am
Bronco Info: builder of high quality ford glass parts/bronco/ranger prerunner owner

Re: Fiberglass Front Fender Install

Post by fibermike »

Actually travis I was refering to the back, I forgot to state that. Im wondering how far do you have to go out to not hit the inner wheelwell, It seems like it is a balance between overall and the inner, or tire width.
VintageIronFab
Posts: 2338
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 12:25 am
Bronco Info: Bronco List:
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Fiberglass Front Fender Install

Post by VintageIronFab »

Back to the Raptor conversion-- I might be way off on this but I think the guys willing to spend the money and the hellovalot of effort to convert everything are going not only for size but for quality. Almost everyone on this list says that AF is by far the best quality wise for fiberglass parts. If a company could build a set of Raptor glass that actually fits and uses say a 4" beam and actually fits a tire like the factory Raptor fits the factory fender people would both pay more for it and probably actually buy it. I personally think its about quality and the ablity to open the hood. If Ford actually builds a bronco again like the FSB-- a uber quality kit would sell like crazy for the guys dieing to have a bronco but can afford a $60K 2014 Bronco. Use factory headlights, tailights and the plastic inlay pieces to give it the ultra -oem look. People pay decent money for "kits" that actually fit!
User avatar
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Posts: 9194
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Re: Fiberglass Front Fender Install

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Rmc wrote:Mike you hit the nail on the head on this one. I built a truck and went on a 6 month quest for glass wide enough. At that time there was only one on the market in the correct width and Rick gieser owned the mold. So after some haggling and paying that guy a 900$ " mold fee" I was able to purchase the actual front clip for an additional 900$ from the builder. Long story short I know I was getting screwed but the result of not paying that amount was not having glass to run or I could have narrowed my rear end, bought new axels and chopped up the front suspension I had just finished building. Moral of the story is make all suspension components fit what you plan on running or you can look foreward to getting stuck having to get someone to build custom glass and it will not be cheap I can promise you that.
If you've ever paid someone to build a plug & make a mold off of it & then you'd know why there was a $900 charge to use the mold
Rmc
El Jefe
Posts: 6028
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:22 pm
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner
Location: IE SoCal
Contact:

Re: Fiberglass Front Fender Install

Post by Rmc »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:
Rmc wrote:Mike you hit the nail on the head on this one. I built a truck and went on a 6 month quest for glass wide enough. At that time there was only one on the market in the correct width and Rick gieser owned the mold. So after some haggling and paying that guy a 900$ " mold fee" I was able to purchase the actual front clip for an additional 900$ from the builder. Long story short I know I was getting screwed but the result of not paying that amount was not having glass to run or I could have narrowed my rear end, bought new axels and chopped up the front suspension I had just finished building. Moral of the story is make all suspension components fit what you plan on running or you can look foreward to getting stuck having to get someone to build custom glass and it will not be cheap I can promise you that.
If you've ever paid someone to build a plug & make a mold off of it & then you'd know why there was a $900 charge to use the mold
I imagine its very very expensive. 100's of hours in the darn thing.
User avatar
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Posts: 9194
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Re: Fiberglass Front Fender Install

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

yup. I got the "good guy" deal for my 70's fender mold & it still was a ton. +/-$5k when said & done. That was a GOOD builder though (I'm sure I could have gotten it cheaper, but then fit & finish would have sucked like most of the class I've seen). I've got to sell a crapload of sets to recoup any of initial investment. I just chalked it up as a loss and learned my lesson on that deal for sure! People always say they want or will buy a set, but less than 10% of those who say they will, ever actually will. You're better off building to what is out there/offered already.
VintageIronFab
Posts: 2338
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 12:25 am
Bronco Info: Bronco List:
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Fiberglass Front Fender Install

Post by VintageIronFab »

hottest truck on the market is what ??? :-)
User avatar
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Posts: 9194
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Re: Fiberglass Front Fender Install

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Pony up the cash to get the molds made & see if you're right. I'll bet he'd/you'd sell a LOT less than you think.
VintageIronFab
Posts: 2338
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 12:25 am
Bronco Info: Bronco List:
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Fiberglass Front Fender Install

Post by VintageIronFab »

If I had a fiberglass business and the know-how I would.
User avatar
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Posts: 9194
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Re: Fiberglass Front Fender Install

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

I'm sure he'd make a plug & mold for you. Pay him to do it and you can own it & get all the proceeds from the sold sets...
Post Reply