Only widen the front? / Ride-height questions

User avatar
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Posts: 7309
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:19 am
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8
Location: Riverside Ca
Contact:

Re: Only widen the front? / Ride-height questions

Post by tcm glx »

Squarehead wrote:When I had my Currie F9 rearend built, I had it made 3 inches wider than stock (1.5" per side). Wish I would have gone at least 6 inches wider than stock now, as I'm going to have wider Camburg beams in front soon.

Still waiting on pics... come one, share that nice rear end of yours!!!
User avatar
T-Hawk
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:15 pm
Bronco Info: Stock '88 XLT, 302, Dying AOD

Re: Only widen the front? / Ride-height questions

Post by T-Hawk »

Don't some classes restrict how much wider a trucks stance can be? And how does the wider stance all around affect on-road driveability/parkability?
On the 8th day God created cordite...then things really went to ****
monkei
Posts: 194
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:07 pm
Bronco Info: 92' 6" lift -> hoping to convert to Bspeed-ish suspension
Location: Pleasanton, CA
Contact:

Re: Only widen the front? / Ride-height questions

Post by monkei »

Its not about looks, but is about what works.
That's what I wanted know, if it works, and how well it works, specifically in high speed offroad conditions, hopefully from some guys who've done it. When I say "works", I envision better roll control and a tad more travel by moving the tires farther from their pivot points. Trying to decide whether its worth the time & effort for the return to widen f&r, and if so, the right way to do it.
And how does the wider stance all around affect on-road driveability/parkability?
As for on road: parking/turning radius could be crappier, you'd take up more lane, and have a better track width for cornering. Some of those good, some bad :mrgreen:
User avatar
Squarehead
Posts: 141
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: Only widen the front? / Ride-height questions

Post by Squarehead »

tcm glx wrote:
Squarehead wrote:When I had my Currie F9 rearend built, I had it made 3 inches wider than stock (1.5" per side). Wish I would have gone at least 6 inches wider than stock now, as I'm going to have wider Camburg beams in front soon.

Still waiting on pics... come one, share that nice rear end of yours!!!

Ok, here's the whole sleazy story, filled with booze, strippers, fireworks, and heavy metal bands:

http://www.off-roadweb.com/tech/1001or_ ... index.html
User avatar
sydude
Posts: 282
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:53 am
Bronco Info: 1992 Restored Bronco w/Built 302x, All Glass, Full Cage, Bilstein 9100's & Deavers
Location: Westchester, NY
Contact:

Re: Only widen the front? / Ride-height questions

Post by sydude »

I'm just starting to look at widening the front and rear for my truck, so I'm sorry to jump into the discussion so late.

In regards to the deterioration in handling when changing front track width only, it was inevitable, whether it caused significant increase in oversteer ('loose') or understeer ('tight' or wanting to 'push' through corners). For a suspended vehicle (unlike a race kart), increasing rear track compared to front will cause an increase in oversteer / a decrease in understeer. The primary reason is that the wider the track is on either end, it reduces the amount of weight transfer to the outer wheel, and increases the amount the inside gets. Depending on a whole bunch of other factors (vehicle's center of gravity, tire construction, and most importantly the tire's coefficient of friction), that redistribution changes the overall grip the rear or front can achieve. So in short, the proportion between front and rear track width is really important.

Here's a snippet I stole off the web that explains some of it in mathematical detail (by Bellati from F1technical.net):

The easiest way to see this is using equations.
Weight Transfer Formula
Weight Transfer Formula
Picture 2.png (2.17 KiB) Viewed 622 times
Increasing track width does not increase grip or lateral force, but decreases lateral weight transference.

Decreasing lateral weight transference:
Tire Loading Graph
Tire Loading Graph
Picture 3.png (58.33 KiB) Viewed 622 times
you improve lateral force coefficient (see the 900lb curve peak is higher than the 1800lb one). That means that the outer wheel will loose some grip but the inner one will gain more than what the outer losses and thus overall (inner+outer) grip increases.
Post Reply