Rear Leaf Springs

hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Re: front shock set up

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

also what kind of travel are you gettin out of the f64 pack?
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
Polarcub
Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 95 XLT still in the shop........

Re: Rear Leaf Springs

Post by Polarcub »

The factory wedges are sufficent but if you want to get rid of them (glad I did) you have a couple of choices to find your angle. The first is use an angle finder, to red your existing angle and estimate your desired angle. Or if you have a lift at your disposal when you cut the old perches off reinstall the new perches and springs un welded this will allow your diff to rotate as you set the rear down....tac the perches in place and then remove the springs again and weld it up.

As far as travel I was seeing about 14" (never really measured) with the F64 no shackles) with the J40 with shackles I am around the 16" area now my shocks are the limiting factor, I droop out further than the shock. The way I am set up though I am very happy
Jeremy
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Re: front shock set up

Post by philofab »

hobbyturnedobsession wrote:also what kind of travel are you gettin out of the f64 pack?
16" if a longer shackle is used. Shocks are normally the limiter.
hobbyturnedobsession wrote:ok that makes sense. i dropped two springs to get a little movement for now. now its a little worse. i know theres shims i can get but ive heard its better to move the perches. how do i figure pinion angle?
If you have a double cardan joint on the rear (most Broncos do) the pinion should be the same angle as the driveline at ride height with a two link setup. If you do not have a two link figure about 1 degree down from the driveshaft angle to correct for a little bit of axle wrap under load.

The shims seem to shear the locating pin off every once in a while and also add a little bit of height. The extra height can cause a slight bit more axle wrap.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
hobbyturnedobsession

i found a set of national 9 leaf springs from a 95 f150 with a 4" lift. i have a set of lt shackles from camburg. the guy wants 450 but i figured i could talk him down. good idea?
Polarcub

Post by Polarcub »

If you cna get the price down a bit it would be a decent deal I dont have any experience with the nationals but coming of a F-150 you might want to find out if they are the 2.5" or 3" wide springs the F-150 4wd I believe had the 3" spring like the bronco the 2wd I know for sure is the 2.5"
Jeremy
hobbyturnedobsession

got a better idear i thought id run by you guys. bronco graveyard has 10 leaf deaver packs for 550 so i was thinkin about goin that route. any suggestions?
78Class3

Post by 78Class3 »

I have the solo set up with the shackles and bracket moving the hanger down to the lower holes. Since this picture we have run a tube brace between the two bracket portions to prevent any bending in or out.

Mocked up..
Dust
Bronco Info: Go Slow Ford's From 1957 to 1994

Post by Dust »

hobbyturnedobsession wrote:got a better idear i thought id run by you guys. bronco graveyard has 10 leaf deaver packs for 550 so i was thinkin about goin that route. any suggestions?
I'm going to agree, haven't looked at shipping but this seems to be the easy way out.
Polarcub

Post by Polarcub »

hobbyturnedobsession wrote:got a better idear i thought id run by you guys. bronco graveyard has 10 leaf deaver packs for 550 so i was thinkin about goin that route. any suggestions?
This would be the easy choice and it works :lol:
Jeremy
hobbyturnedobsession

well i ordered the deaver 10 leaf pack from jbg they should be in sometime this or next week, ill post more when i get them set up with my lt shackles.
Polarcub

Post by Polarcub »

You should enjoy them
Jeremy
hobbyturnedobsession

I'm hopin so. I talked to a guy who had the same setup as me. Pretty basic, bilstein shocks, deaver coils and deaver leafs all from jbg and i saw some pics of him catchin a little air. he said that the front was awesome but the rear with those leafs made it amazing. no buckin bronco anymore.
Polarcub

Post by Polarcub »

I was glad to get rid of the buck too...for my set up moving to the J40 with more arch made the difference. One word of caution remeber that your front end vlaving/etc has a dramatic affect on the rear as well. I see to many people who forget that and chase their tails so to speak thinking that they need to change everything. I started with the front end and then worked with the back to work with the front. The leafs your getting are good leafs and the 5150s are a good choice back there if your not ready to move into a 2.5 yet.
On a side note Joel@Bilstein has my bypasses and is making some upgrades for me. I am super excited I will post once i get them back. I want able to do them right now but the ACV reservoir sounds pretty exciting, TCMGLX has them on his fronts and likes them. Anyways good choice on the deavers. Have fun with them.
Jeremy
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

Polarcub wrote:I was glad to get rid of the buck too...for my set up moving to the J40 with more arch made the difference. One word of caution remeber that your front end vlaving/etc has a dramatic affect on the rear as well. I see to many people who forget that and chase their tails so to speak thinking that they need to change everything. I started with the front end and then worked with the back to work with the front. The leafs your getting are good leafs and the 5150s are a good choice back there if your not ready to move into a 2.5 yet.
On a side note Joel@Bilstein has my bypasses and is making some upgrades for me. I am super excited I will post once i get them back. I want able to do them right now but the ACV reservoir sounds pretty exciting, TCMGLX has them on his fronts and likes them. Anyways good choice on the deavers. Have fun with them.
Talked to Joel this morning, he mentioned he was working on your Bilsteins Jer!! Glad he is, you will be happy!.

I happen to be VERY VERY VERY happy with the ACV's in the front of my Bronco and it made a great difference. Interesting enough.... Jeremy is very right about the rear and front effecting each other. Adding about 25 PSI and the ACV valve to the coilovers up front on the bronco helped keep the nose pointed up, and made the rear react much better to mid size whoops.

Some other comments as well, 5100s all around work great! I have been driving my brothers bronco with the Camburg stage 1 and 5100s all around, and it truly is a great setup!! Like Jeremy says, unless you are very very harsh on it, this should do you plenty well!

Nuts and bolts of it: Spend thew cash on quality shocks (Bilstein is obviously my preference) and leafs (deavers, nationals or alcans)
Polarcub

Post by Polarcub »

Ha I am super excited I want to try the acvs on the rear as well based on what he was telling me i think they would be a great tool in keeping the rear end compliant....on a side note we were also talking 9 car???? We will see Though. When I get them back I will post on my thoughts etc...BTW I have always been a Bilstein Fan their technology IMO is head and shoulders above the rest If money were never an issue then thats what would be on the bronco on all corners...I am hoping though in the next year to make some changes still up front.
Jeremy
hobbyturnedobsession

so should i run the 5150's on the back end and 5100's up front?
Polarcub

Post by Polarcub »

I think that's a great starting point that wont break the bank and will give you good performance
Jeremy
hobbyturnedobsession

thank you for the advice! i appreciate it. i just got my radius arms on and wooow what a difference. do i have to modify anything if i mount my camburg shackles? will they clear the bottom inside of the truck?
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

hobbyturnedobsession wrote:thank you for the advice! i appreciate it. i just got my radius arms on and wooow what a difference. do i have to modify anything if i mount my camburg shackles? will they clear the bottom inside of the truck?
Depends on the length. If they are too long you will have to cut the bed support (not recommended) or leap frog the hangar down like in the Solo picture above.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
hobbyturnedobsession

Just run a flat plate for the bottom bolt holes and a piece of tubing across to keep them from not moving in and out right?