Balducci Bros stock class EB build
- robertcrav
- Let me google that for you
- Posts: 4313
- Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:06 am
- Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies
- Location: South O.C.
- Contact:
Re: Balducci Bros stock class EB build
recently saw a complete '68 EB Frame on Craigslist out here for $300...
- ESHALLBETTER
- Posts: 1588
- Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:49 am
- Bronco Info: 85 class 3, 70's somthing trail bronco.
- Location: Minneapolis, MN
-
balduccibros
- Posts: 25
- Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:33 am
- Bronco Info: '75 Bronco 4600 class legal. Built for east coast racing.
- Location: Cumberland, MD
Re: Balducci Bros stock class EB build
I've read the whole thread lol. Couple things I would do differently but overall I really like his build.ESHALLBETTER wrote:http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showth ... p?t=201247
More for your reading enjoyment.
-
balduccibros
- Posts: 25
- Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:33 am
- Bronco Info: '75 Bronco 4600 class legal. Built for east coast racing.
- Location: Cumberland, MD
Re: Balducci Bros stock class EB build
Well it took me a little while to get the internet hooked up at the new place, between moving and some major events coming up at work I've been pretty busy. I've still been thinking of designs things I can do on the bronco and sourcing parts.
I picked up a 9" housing last week, I'll get that cleaned up and trussed when I have some time. I'll probably just do a box tube truss off the backside.
Sunday night I should be going to pick up the C4 and transfer case. I won't be doing much to that anytime soon other than pressure washing it and using it to build around. It looks like I can get the shorty 4wd adapter from advance adapters to convert the C4 to 27 spline GM output. I could then use a 241/242 tcase which would get me quite a bit more strength, and the ability to clock it flat with the adapter. Dodge trucks came with a 241 with a fixed rear yoke, so I could use all junkyard parts to build the tcase itself. I'm still not sure what I want to do there though, I'll mess around with it once the parts are in hand.
I also found a frame about 1 1/2 hours away. I'll be away part of this coming week and all next weekend at a race in Indiana, so sometime after I get back I'll go pick that up and begin mocking parts up in it.
One of the shops I used to work at has a disc break '77 dana44 for me which I'll pick up eventually.
I think I'm going to look for the gt40p explorer motor. I'm told that I can simply swap the cam sensor out for a distributor, and get an older style computer and a 4 wire hookup harness to run the motor. I'm always skeptical that things will be as easy as people say, but that motor should be plenty to leave it stock for the time being and have a great platform to start with when I do need more power.
I have a bunch of tires to choose from at work, I'll post some pictures of my parts collection in the next few days hopefully.
I picked up a 9" housing last week, I'll get that cleaned up and trussed when I have some time. I'll probably just do a box tube truss off the backside.
Sunday night I should be going to pick up the C4 and transfer case. I won't be doing much to that anytime soon other than pressure washing it and using it to build around. It looks like I can get the shorty 4wd adapter from advance adapters to convert the C4 to 27 spline GM output. I could then use a 241/242 tcase which would get me quite a bit more strength, and the ability to clock it flat with the adapter. Dodge trucks came with a 241 with a fixed rear yoke, so I could use all junkyard parts to build the tcase itself. I'm still not sure what I want to do there though, I'll mess around with it once the parts are in hand.
I also found a frame about 1 1/2 hours away. I'll be away part of this coming week and all next weekend at a race in Indiana, so sometime after I get back I'll go pick that up and begin mocking parts up in it.
One of the shops I used to work at has a disc break '77 dana44 for me which I'll pick up eventually.
I think I'm going to look for the gt40p explorer motor. I'm told that I can simply swap the cam sensor out for a distributor, and get an older style computer and a 4 wire hookup harness to run the motor. I'm always skeptical that things will be as easy as people say, but that motor should be plenty to leave it stock for the time being and have a great platform to start with when I do need more power.
I have a bunch of tires to choose from at work, I'll post some pictures of my parts collection in the next few days hopefully.
Re: Balducci Bros stock class EB build
I wish you were closer - I have a buddy selling a '99 Explorer motor with fairly low miles (59K).balduccibros wrote:I think I'm going to look for the gt40p explorer motor. I'm told that I can simply swap the cam sensor out for a distributor, and get an older style computer and a 4 wire hookup harness to run the motor. I'm always skeptical that things will be as easy as people say, but that motor should be plenty to leave it stock for the time being and have a great platform to start with when I do need more power.
Todd Z.
-
balduccibros
- Posts: 25
- Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:33 am
- Bronco Info: '75 Bronco 4600 class legal. Built for east coast racing.
- Location: Cumberland, MD
Re: Balducci Bros stock class EB build
Where is that at? I travel a lot:). Although I'm tapped out at the moment, I got a little carried away at surplus city.
Re: Balducci Bros stock class EB build
Phoenix area.balduccibros wrote:Where is that at? I travel a lot:). Although I'm tapped out at the moment, I got a little carried away at surplus city.
Todd Z.
-
balduccibros
- Posts: 25
- Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:33 am
- Bronco Info: '75 Bronco 4600 class legal. Built for east coast racing.
- Location: Cumberland, MD
Re: Balducci Bros stock class EB build
I do have friends there that I'll see next weekend, but I can probably find one closer lol
-
balduccibros
- Posts: 25
- Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:33 am
- Bronco Info: '75 Bronco 4600 class legal. Built for east coast racing.
- Location: Cumberland, MD
Re: Balducci Bros stock class EB build
Well I still don't have the bronco, or any real progress to show, but I have collected a few parts and gotten a few things to get my garage up and running. So here are some pictures!
Tires I'll be using for mockup, these are 37-12.50. I'm going to build around these even though I'll most likely only run 35s. We ran these tires for Vegas to Reno last year, they showed almost no wear and we won't run them for any other races because of the super hard compound...so they should be good for me to rent for awhile.

17x9" BTR wheels, I think these will look great on the bronco, they're light and relatively tough.

Scored a pretty clean 9" with shafts and no third member, also picked up some 2x4" box tube at surplus city to get my rear truss going. Anyone know the rear leaf spring width on the early bronco off the top of your head?

These are the coils I'm stealing for the front, I believe they are 4" front TJ Jeepspeed springs from PAC racing. They were on the rear of our 4600 class ZJ, but since that is going on Peterson's Ultimate Adventure in a couple weeks they sent out some fresh springs, I win!!

Picked up a durham cabinet for cheap from surplus city

Found some really nice C clamps, these are 4" I think and were only $9.99. I told my boss about them and he went and bought the rest I think lol.

This week will be hectic but next monday I should be able to get started on my truss and make arrangements to go pickup my new to me frame.
Tires I'll be using for mockup, these are 37-12.50. I'm going to build around these even though I'll most likely only run 35s. We ran these tires for Vegas to Reno last year, they showed almost no wear and we won't run them for any other races because of the super hard compound...so they should be good for me to rent for awhile.

17x9" BTR wheels, I think these will look great on the bronco, they're light and relatively tough.

Scored a pretty clean 9" with shafts and no third member, also picked up some 2x4" box tube at surplus city to get my rear truss going. Anyone know the rear leaf spring width on the early bronco off the top of your head?

These are the coils I'm stealing for the front, I believe they are 4" front TJ Jeepspeed springs from PAC racing. They were on the rear of our 4600 class ZJ, but since that is going on Peterson's Ultimate Adventure in a couple weeks they sent out some fresh springs, I win!!

Picked up a durham cabinet for cheap from surplus city

Found some really nice C clamps, these are 4" I think and were only $9.99. I told my boss about them and he went and bought the rest I think lol.

This week will be hectic but next monday I should be able to get started on my truss and make arrangements to go pickup my new to me frame.
- FUFIMI
- Posts: 611
- Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:24 pm
- Bronco Info: 1965 Ford F100 (Señor Mostaza)
- Location: Portland, OR
Re: Balducci Bros stock class EB build
rear leaf spring width is 2 1/4 inch
-
balduccibros
- Posts: 25
- Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:33 am
- Bronco Info: '75 Bronco 4600 class legal. Built for east coast racing.
- Location: Cumberland, MD
Re: Balducci Bros stock class EB build
thanks, I meant the center pin to center pin width for setting up new spring perches...but on second thought, I'll probably hold off in case I end up moving the hangers for some reason, and to dial in the pinion angle better.FUFIMI wrote:rear leaf spring width is 2 1/4 inch
-
balduccibros
- Posts: 25
- Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:33 am
- Bronco Info: '75 Bronco 4600 class legal. Built for east coast racing.
- Location: Cumberland, MD
Re: Balducci Bros stock class EB build
Sorry for the lull in updates, I've been gathering parts and thats just not that exciting. I got the frame all cleaned up and the tub set on it. Got my rear truss about 1/2 way done, front axle is 1/2 way cleaned up, etc. I'll get some pics soon.
So I've been trying to decide which steering box to run. I asked Jeff Howe, and he said to just run the stock box. He said he'll modify it for a quicker ratio and it'll hold up for me. I totally trust Jeff, we've been using his steering components on our other race cars for years and he's answered every question we've ever had without hesitation(and he's always right!).
My issues are
1) I don't have a stock PS box(this whole ordeal started when I bought this bronco to steal the box for my dads bronco)
2) I can't justify spending about $1,000 having him work his magic...I probably need to just bite the bullet on this one. Howe stuff is always money well spent. I've noticed on most of the EB builds on RDC etc. they do what Jeff says and I don't see any complaints.
3) I need to start setting up the front suspension. which means I need a steering box ASAP. I'm pretty sure I can find one locally, but if I decide for any reason to ignore Jeff's advice and act like I know what I'm doing and use a different box it could cause complications.
My thought is that I can get a stock box. To save money initially I can just get a Howe pump/reservoir, and use a quickener to get my ratio right. Then when I have the funds I can have Jeff do a box for me. I don't think I'll need to do hydro assist on this thing. All my friends are rock crawlers, but I really think its boring and I don't intend to build this thing for serious crawling or attempt to do it. After typing all this out I think I know what to do but any input is appreciated anyways. I'll try to get a few pics posted in the next few days of the "progress"
So I've been trying to decide which steering box to run. I asked Jeff Howe, and he said to just run the stock box. He said he'll modify it for a quicker ratio and it'll hold up for me. I totally trust Jeff, we've been using his steering components on our other race cars for years and he's answered every question we've ever had without hesitation(and he's always right!).
My issues are
1) I don't have a stock PS box(this whole ordeal started when I bought this bronco to steal the box for my dads bronco)
2) I can't justify spending about $1,000 having him work his magic...I probably need to just bite the bullet on this one. Howe stuff is always money well spent. I've noticed on most of the EB builds on RDC etc. they do what Jeff says and I don't see any complaints.
3) I need to start setting up the front suspension. which means I need a steering box ASAP. I'm pretty sure I can find one locally, but if I decide for any reason to ignore Jeff's advice and act like I know what I'm doing and use a different box it could cause complications.
My thought is that I can get a stock box. To save money initially I can just get a Howe pump/reservoir, and use a quickener to get my ratio right. Then when I have the funds I can have Jeff do a box for me. I don't think I'll need to do hydro assist on this thing. All my friends are rock crawlers, but I really think its boring and I don't intend to build this thing for serious crawling or attempt to do it. After typing all this out I think I know what to do but any input is appreciated anyways. I'll try to get a few pics posted in the next few days of the "progress"
Re: Balducci Bros stock class EB build
You can usually find stock steering boxes for sale on classicbroncos.com.
Todd Z.
Todd Z.
-
balduccibros
- Posts: 25
- Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:33 am
- Bronco Info: '75 Bronco 4600 class legal. Built for east coast racing.
- Location: Cumberland, MD
Re: Balducci Bros stock class EB build
Todd, I have read up on your NORRA bronco a bit but don't remember, are you running a Howe box?
Re: Balducci Bros stock class EB build
Ours is a Saginaw box originally installed by Stroppe. It was refreshed a few years ago by Tom Lee.
Todd Z.
Todd Z.
