Class 3

Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Re: Class 3

Post by Rmc »

jkrell wrote:Bang for you buck you can't beat a Jeep cherokee for class 3 racing. Plus, there are lots of well organized races stateside with the "jeepspeed" series that can be done for reduced entry fees and very competitive racings. As for the unibodies not able to hold up to the abuse, I would disagree. Some of the oldest jeepspeeds built, are still running, and still very competitive. Just takes the right plate and tube, in the right places to make them tough...and yes, as 300 mentioned the steering box area is one of those area's that needs to be addressed. Check out Jeepspeed.com if you are looking for more info.

All that said above, a bronco is a great platform for class 3 racing...and if built properly I believe it can be considerably faster than an XJ...but it will cost you a few bucks more to build probably, and a solid used one isn't as readily available as an XJ, unless ofcourse you buy 300's...then you are getting yourself a very solid bronco...though I did hear a rumor there may be a class 3 jeep wrangler for sale that has a few baja wins under its belt, not sure of the price but guessing it wont be cheap.

T&J performance center in Anaheim sells a turnkey package for all jeepspeed needed components to modify a Cherokee with. There kit is somewhere around 5k, plus a Cherokee. Seems bar far the cheapest route to go racing besides 5/1600. Not that I'm a jeep fan but u can beat up a Cherokee pretty hard and they for the most part will hold together if u reinforce the right components. I saw a turnkey jeep speed for sale recently with a spare engine and trans for 5900$ on Craig's list in banning. Hope it helps.
Silverslk
Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Baur Bronco......GONE to a better home

Post by Silverslk »

Rmc wrote:
jkrell wrote:Bang for you buck you can't beat a Jeep cherokee for class 3 racing. Plus, there are lots of well organized races stateside with the "jeepspeed" series that can be done for reduced entry fees and very competitive racings. As for the unibodies not able to hold up to the abuse, I would disagree. Some of the oldest jeepspeeds built, are still running, and still very competitive. Just takes the right plate and tube, in the right places to make them tough...and yes, as 300 mentioned the steering box area is one of those area's that needs to be addressed. Check out Jeepspeed.com if you are looking for more info.

All that said above, a bronco is a great platform for class 3 racing...and if built properly I believe it can be considerably faster than an XJ...but it will cost you a few bucks more to build probably, and a solid used one isn't as readily available as an XJ, unless ofcourse you buy 300's...then you are getting yourself a very solid bronco...though I did hear a rumor there may be a class 3 jeep wrangler for sale that has a few baja wins under its belt, not sure of the price but guessing it wont be cheap.

T&J performance center in Anaheim sells a turnkey package for all jeepspeed needed components to modify a Cherokee with. There kit is somewhere around 5k, plus a Cherokee. Seems bar far the cheapest route to go racing besides 5/1600. Not that I'm a jeep fan but u can beat up a Cherokee pretty hard and they for the most part will hold together if u reinforce the right components. I saw a turnkey jeep speed for sale recently with a spare engine and trans for 5900$ on Craig's list in banning. Hope it helps.
I believe the kit is closer to 10k but still not huge in the big picture to go racing.
jkrell
Bronco Info: Ford F150 Flareside

Post by jkrell »

The kit from t&j's is closer to 10k...and that is really only the basics. If you want to build a whoopass jeepspeed your are still looking at 20-25k no matter how you slice it. The advantage here is just that there is a lot of good ones for sale at big discount...There is a nice one for sale on jeepspeed now by bryan dodge out of phoenix...17k for a competitive well built car that comes with a huge wazoo 10k motor.

I sold the 06 champ car fully restored and prepped with new everything for 15k to some guys in la paz last year. Lots of good deals out there.
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Ya it's been a while since I've looked at Cherokee stuff, I remembered it was cheap considering my hubs n axel cost what a jeep speed would cost lol.
retroblazer

Post by retroblazer »

Forget the Cherokee. An LJ/ extend TJ is the ticket. Full Frame. The rules are going to change in this class. Backdateing and updating for a manufacturer should be restored. There is no reason not to have V-8 powered Jeeps. I know the Bronco guys would like to preserve their advantages, but it's time to grow the class before it turns into an econo buggy class.
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

retroblazer wrote:Forget the Cherokee. An LJ/ extend TJ is the ticket. Full Frame. The rules are going to change in this class. Backdateing and updating for a manufacturer should be restored. There is no reason not to have V-8 powered Jeeps. I know the Bronco guys would like to preserve their advantages, but it's time to grow the class before it turns into an econo buggy class.
=========
Agree. At least one LJ is a proven to be a winner in C3
Food for thought:
LJ Wrangler 04-06, 103.4 WB, solid axle F/R, coils F/R, 4.0 I6, Full frame
XJ Cherokee 84-96, 101.4 WB. solid axle F/R, Leafs F/R, 4.0 I6, Unit body
ZJ Grand Cherokee 92-98, 105.9 WB. solid axle F/R, Coils F/R, 5.2/5.9 V8, unit body
PW
retroblazer

Post by retroblazer »

I don't mean to rain on the Cherokee guys, because I think that JeepSpeed has been a very racer friendly deal. I would build a Grand because it has everything the Cherokee lacks, but the previous unknown of having Savage tech it was always a major concern. We all saw what happened when Clive tried to get his past Savage. It was called Class 3 International.
In updating and backdating, a CJ-8 gets coilovers and a TJ/LJ gets a V-8. Why not?

- More people getting flexible platforms ,within the wheelbase and widith limits, means more entries.
jkrell
Bronco Info: Ford F150 Flareside

Post by jkrell »

retroblazer wrote:Forget the Cherokee. An LJ/ extend TJ is the ticket. Full Frame. The rules are going to change in this class. Backdateing and updating for a manufacturer should be restored. There is no reason not to have V-8 powered Jeeps. I know the Bronco guys would like to preserve their advantages, but it's time to grow the class before it turns into an econo buggy class.

I still say cherokee's are great if you are going low budget because there are lots already built ready to race for cheap. The LJ/Grand makes sense if you want to build a Jeep to race C3 and Jeepspeed, but I still say a bronco could be built to smoke any jeep in C3. Its got it in every category, wheel travel, wheel base, engine dispacement, with the only draw back being a leaf sprung rear...but with proper spring under and good design pretty certain that would not be a tough science project to make live.

And regarding rule changes, is that really gonna happen? When I was racin C3 there was a lot of gripin' about our lil jeep with a short wheelbase and a lil motor. I think it would be good for the class to open a few things up, just thought the regulars were pretty dug in on old C3 rules.
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

I totally agree lj's are bad ass, kinda harder to find though, I was looking for one for a few months a few years back due to a real frame, compatibility with all the genrite stuff and longer wheelbase for the higher speed stuff, it was basically a ride I was thinking of choosing before I bought the bronco. Nearly everything you would ever need is available in kit form. I do however have a very soft spot for bronco's so when the deal came I bought what I have now.
retroblazer

Post by retroblazer »

Here's a thought. Why don't we draft Curt LeDuc for a Class 3 rules review. He is one of the few people I know who has significant experience in building a wide range of class 3 and class 4 4wd trucks. He has raced TTB trucks and Jeeps. Jon your point about the Bronco being the best platform is true based on the current rules. It is one reason why Class 3 had a front wheel travel limit of 15" after the class was dominated by TTB Broncos. If back dating and updating were restored, V-8 powered coil-over Jeeps and A-armed Blazers would be possible. If I had my choice, I'd rather build a A-armed Blazer, like Dale White's K-5 Blazer, when he added a torsion bar a-arm set-up from the 88-92's when he was getting spanked by Ashley.

Class 3 rules changes:

1. Open spring rules
2. Restore updating and backdating
3. Allow possible entries that are longer that wheelbase limit to reduce down to the 108" limit