Class 3

Pinzguy
Bronco Info: Pinzgauer 710m, bronco soon!

Class 3

Post by Pinzguy »

Hey guys anybody racing class 3? Anybody know the restrictions? I'm out of the country and can't order a score rulebook!

Thanks
Brady
yikes
Founder
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff

Re: Class 3

Post by yikes »

Hi Brady! I read your thread on RDC. You've come to the right place. The one and only Moss Bros multi-year Class 3 Baja champs are here on our site.

Class 3 is short wheelbase 4x4. It's an unlimited class in many respects; however, there are restrictions such as: 108" maximum wheelbase and +/-2" of stock; +2" maximum per side additional track width; must maintain factory suspension type (leaf spring, coil spring, tortion bar, etc); Must have factory full length frame rails, unmodified except front can be trimmed from top up to 8" back torward bottom to help improve approach angle; must have working 4x4, must have engine offered with the specific vehicle, etc.

Aside from that, Class 3 is quite open. Unlimited shocks, unlimited HP. The Bronco is an awesome platform for the class.

Have fun with your search. Looking forward to see what you come up with and which direction you decide to go for a race class/vehicle.
Pinzguy

Post by Pinzguy »

Thanks yikes, I've always had a soft spot for broncos, just curious what kind of budget does the average class three racer need? Where would be the best place to pick up a class three bronco?
Bronco Info: 1979 Class 3 Race Bronco. Built in 2000.

Post by 300 »

Pinzguy wrote: Where would be the best place to pick up a class three bronco?
Make me an offer!!!!!!!! Haha!

35 years of racing various on and off road vehicles is too much to type here but when I get a chance to I can give you some pointers. Everyone approaches it from a different angle so there is no one exact way to do it. Certainly by far it is cheapest to buy an existing race car, you just have to make sure you aren't buying someone elses problems! I thought it was easier for me to go with a Bronco just because I already had stacks of old Ford parts laying around. It didn't make sense for me to go with a VW class car because I would have to buy every single part needed for that car. Also saw your post on RDC. Hate to send you to another site, but if you look here http://www.class3racing.com/showthread.php?t=1, the SCORE Class 3 rules are typed out. They have a new rule book, but for the most part the Class 3 rules are the same. BITD has their rules on line and you can look at the rules for other classes there that are going to be similar to SCORE, just with a completely different numbering system!

Like I said, as I get a chance I can provide some more info.
Pinzguy

Post by Pinzguy »

The rules state that the track width needs to be 4 inches of stock, cut and turn kits are 4.5 over, is this per side? How is the front suspension usually set up on a class three, and how much travel do you guys usually get out of them.

Thanks
Brady
Agui-E7TE
Bronco Info: 89 Bronco w/ 6 in. skyjacker kit w/ dual Bilstein 5150 shocks up front and Deaver F53's in the rear

Post by Agui-E7TE »

cut and turn beams can be done in stock width or a few inches wider than stock if the beams are widened. I have stock width beams on my Bronco so in theory, it would be legal for Class 3.

When beams are advertised as 4.5 over, that means per side so it's actually 9 inches wider than stock. I don't think this would be legal for Class 3 though.
Pinzguy

Post by Pinzguy »

How much travel will a cut/turn stock width pull?
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

About 16"
Pinzguy

Post by Pinzguy »

That's impressive! Thanks for all of the info.
What kind of budget does it realistically take to race class 3?
RyanDS650X
Bronco Info: Autofab '96 XLT 5.8

Post by RyanDS650X »

Pinzguy wrote:That's impressive! Thanks for all of the info.
What kind of budget does it realistically take to race class 3?
"If you have to ask you probably cant afford it" as they say... Throw out a budget on what your prepared to spend, then double it. Racing isnt cheap and prize money MIGHT pay for fuel. Youve just got to love it.
HOONracing
Bronco Info: 1991 built for SCORE class 3 racing

Post by HOONracing »

Be prepared to spend a minimum of $2500 for a short state side race if you dont have any problems and pit for yourself. HDRA entry fee for class 3 is $900, a 300 mile race is about 75 gallons of gas if you getting 4 mpg which. so thats $300 in gas just for the race truck if you go with pump gas. Thats no counting your tow rig, travel expenses, food, it adds up real quick. Then theres the bronco. Thats 20k for a cheap build doing all the work yourself with minimal spares.

Post by 300 »

Using some very round numbers, it is around $5K for the shorter Mexican races, and $10K for the 1000 barring major parts or engine replacements. That is with a crew that pays for their own food, memberships and gas money to get there and help out with the housing cost.

Beyond the entry fee cost, fuel at the Mexican races has turned into a major expense. If you are not racing in Mexico, disregard the following. If you are using pump gas, the cost is similar to what it is here but the logistics are a nightmare. You have to buy it ahead of time (think gas lines) and rely on your crew to haul it. Do you really want your guys rambling down the skinny Mex highway with 100+ gallons of Pemex strapped in the back? And yes, a Class 3 does not get any better than about 4 mpg while racing. Your alternatives are to use and pay for a pit service, however the fuel has to be delivered to the pit. I am not aware of any fuel outfits delivering Pemex to pits (there might be), so you end up having race fuel delivered. Race fuel is running right under $11 a gallon in Mexico, plus another $1 to $1.50 a gallon to have it delivered. Some pretty sobering numbers, but there is still only one Baja 1000! You can't haul bulk fuel into Mexico, but you can bring as much as you can stuff into the fuel cell(s).
Pinzguy

Post by Pinzguy »

I want to thank everyone for the support, but have one more question for you. How much would a race ready class three cost me (ballpark)?

Thanks guys
Brady

Post by 300 »

i am going to take a stab and say somewhere around $30K for a V8 Bronco type racer would be a decent price for someone looking to unload one. You will spend a lot more to have someone build one, probably closer to $100K. You know that a Jeepspeed Cherokee is actually Class 3 legal and also very competitive in the class and there are some around for as little as $15K. The guys on the other forum mentioned that they will not last forever because they are a unibody vehicle, which is true. I know in particular the steering box area takes a tremendous beating. If you planned to get a few races under your belt, this would be an excellent way to get your feet wet. Even if you had to replace the body and cage after a few races, you already have the spendy parts.
jkrell
Bronco Info: Ford F150 Flareside

Post by jkrell »

Bang for you buck you can't beat a Jeep cherokee for class 3 racing. Plus, there are lots of well organized races stateside with the "jeepspeed" series that can be done for reduced entry fees and very competitive racings. As for the unibodies not able to hold up to the abuse, I would disagree. Some of the oldest jeepspeeds built, are still running, and still very competitive. Just takes the right plate and tube, in the right places to make them tough...and yes, as 300 mentioned the steering box area is one of those area's that needs to be addressed. Check out Jeepspeed.com if you are looking for more info.

All that said above, a bronco is a great platform for class 3 racing...and if built properly I believe it can be considerably faster than an XJ...but it will cost you a few bucks more to build probably, and a solid used one isn't as readily available as an XJ, unless ofcourse you buy 300's...then you are getting yourself a very solid bronco...though I did hear a rumor there may be a class 3 jeep wrangler for sale that has a few baja wins under its belt, not sure of the price but guessing it wont be cheap.
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

C3 success is about suspension and its tuning. It really helps to start with and good base. Bronco is a good base, but has the drawback of rear leafs and to get around the leafs its expensive and requires thinking out of the box
Read the Straightiff/Wilson thread on this forum.
And the Moss Bronco sure proves that leafs and soild front axle are no reason for not winning.
Another way to go is the ATK Jeep
http://www.class3racing.com/showthread. ... t=wrangler
This vintage Wrangler comes with coils on 4 corners solid front axle and a small motor. Does not seem to be a hinderance with a good driver, good prep, and classical coilover/link design. Proven to be a winner. Last time I noticed it mentioned it was for sale for 95k.
Having said all that a Jeepspeed Cherokee should be in the same category as other leaf rear, Solid front and small motor builds. Just less expensive due to more used choices.
PaulW
jkrell
Bronco Info: Ford F150 Flareside

Post by jkrell »

95k?!?! Whoa, thats a lot of money for a Jeep. Where'd you see/hear that price at? If ATK Jeep is sellin at the price I may get back in the car building business...haha.
ESHALLBETTER
Bronco Info: 85 class 3, 70's somthing trail bronco.

Post by ESHALLBETTER »

Mine is getting close...it's not done, but I have most of the major components in it now. I have been building it for the last 7 or so years, and estimate I have about $25,000 into the truck. This is doing ALL the work myself, including fabbing all the front suspension, building the rear axle housing, building my own motor.... I was also given a lot of hand me down race items from teams. To be a true race vehicle I would need a built trans, so put however much you want on top of what I have already spent. It is easy to tally up the suspension parts, shocks, tires, wheels, motor, fiberglass, etc. What really kills you is all the small stuff... thousands of dollars for fittings, and hose, and batteries, gauges, shifters, hardware, switches, circuit breakers, seatbelts, parker pumpers.... I could literally do this ALL DAY LONG!

If you want to go out and race and get the most bang for your buck, I suggest buying something race ready. To build a truck you really have to enjoy the building part!
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Post by cs_drums »

ESHALLBETTER wrote:If you want to go out and race and get the most bang for your buck, I suggest buying something race ready. To build a truck you really have to enjoy the building part!
And even if you like the building part its starts to loose its luster after a few years of all work and no play! hahah
ESHALLBETTER
Bronco Info: 85 class 3, 70's somthing trail bronco.

Post by ESHALLBETTER »

cs_drums wrote:
ESHALLBETTER wrote:If you want to go out and race and get the most bang for your buck, I suggest buying something race ready. To build a truck you really have to enjoy the building part!
And even if you like the building part its starts to loose its luster after a few years of all work and no play! hahah

YES! It really turns into a love/hate relationship after awhile...