Stroker motor talk!-Threads merged

shockseals.com

Re: Stroker motor talk!..

Post by shockseals.com »

anybody running a stroker on stock OBD2 engine management and passing smog?
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
RyanDS650X
Bronco Info: Autofab '96 XLT 5.8

Post by RyanDS650X »

Stock MAF,throttlebody, and injectors. Edelbrock upper and lower intake manifolds. Edelbrock sells the complete Power Package i have. Cylinder heads,intake manifolds, and headers
'96 XLT 5.8l lil edelbrock, lil Autofab, LOTTA fun.

"I wouldnt even call adding beer as part of a prep...its like putting tires on the vehicle, you just do it."
-shockseals.com
Deleted Account
Bronco Info: depends on what day

Post by Deleted Account »

shockseals.com wrote:anybody running a stroker on stock OBD2 engine management and passing smog?
one of my guys has a 408 96 that should pass.. really mild cam and an sct flash tuner.. the end user tuned one
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Post by cs_drums »

Has anyone tried to smog a 92-94 SD with a maf conversion? Is it something you can get a ref. to sign off?
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

mkiefer wrote:
shockseals.com wrote:anybody running a stroker on stock OBD2 engine management and passing smog?
one of my guys has a 408 96 that should pass.. really mild cam and an sct flash tuner.. the end user tuned one
What are the motor details? Bigger injectors? BIgger MAF? Bigger TB? What heads? What upper and lower intake?
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

I would like to know what the budget is for a stroker. Carb set up is obviously less costly than EFI even with the stand alone tranny controller.
How much do you guys expect tp spend?
PW
TurboJoe
Bronco Info: 1968 with 302 Highpinion 44 and 31 spline 9" on 38's and 1996 xlt 351 prerunner in the making

Post by TurboJoe »

I may have missed it but... What year is the truck and is it 302 or 351 based to start with?
Dust
Bronco Info: Go Slow Ford's From 1957 to 1994

Post by Dust »

PaulW wrote:I would like to know what the budget is for a stroker. Carb set up is obviously less costly than EFI even with the stand alone tranny controller.
How much do you guys expect tp spend?
PW
I would never stroke a 302/5.0L engine having experienced catastrophic block failures in race applications with power never exceeding 1.5BHP/CI. The best way to gain displacement in the 5.0L is to use a 5.8L and the budget for that is not much more (if any) then a 5.0L; that said if I did stroke a SBF this would be what I would choose for a budget build!
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/pa ... ield=11832

Dust
Seabass
Bronco Info: 96 bronco

Post by Seabass »

10k isn't a budget build in my book. That motor still needs all the supporting mods like the injection system and manifolds.

I still haven't decided on stroking or building a high compression 351 but the hard parts are close when adding up the prices. I'm hoping to be around 3k into my motor when done. Like any budget though I'm sure I aimed a little low.
TurboJoe
Bronco Info: 1968 with 302 Highpinion 44 and 31 spline 9" on 38's and 1996 xlt 351 prerunner in the making

Post by TurboJoe »

Seabass wrote:10k isn't a budget build in my book. That motor still needs all the supporting mods like the injection system and manifolds.

I still haven't decided on stroking or building a high compression 351 but the hard parts are close when adding up the prices. I'm hoping to be around 3k into my motor when done. Like any budget though I'm sure I aimed a little low.
$3k would easily get you in the 425hp neighborhood and be stupid reliable on pump gas... I like building cheap stuff that works instead of race stuff that never gets finished, And yes I have both :-)

Joe
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

TurboJoe wrote:
Seabass wrote:10k isn't a budget build in my book. That motor still needs all the supporting mods like the injection system and manifolds.

$3k would easily get you in the 425hp neighborhood and be stupid reliable on pump gas... I like building cheap stuff that works instead of race stuff that never gets finished, And yes I have both :-)

Joe
=======
Hi Joe,
3k? Who will do that for a guy that does not want to mess with wrenching and deal with somebody to do machining and assembly? Lots of us are way weary of the DIY deal.
PW
TurboJoe

Post by TurboJoe »

PaulW wrote:
TurboJoe wrote:

Joe
=======
Hi Joe,
3k? Who will do that for a guy that does not want to mess with wrenching and deal with somebody to do machining and assembly? Lots of us are way weary of the DIY deal.

I don't think anyone would do that installed? I was guessing that the people here would be fine with the R and R work themselves... If not, easily double the original $3000.00 figure to $6000.00+ If your not doing some of the work or supplying your machine shop with a decent core 351 to start with. DIY is the only way to this with any kind of budget, That's why I said that I like building cheap stuff, And I still have trouble paying for that doing most of it myself :D

Joe
Dust

Post by Dust »

$10k for the long block may not be a "Budget" build however it is actually a good price for what you are getting.
A rebuilt 351W with good quality replacement parts cast pistons and a balance is going to run +/- $5k for a long block.
Completing the engine will be another $500 if EFI +parts, and it is still not a running engine.
The R&R will be somewhere between $1.2k and $3k depending on the rig.
The install will depend a lifted Bronco will cost more then a gen-3 Stang and if it was a late model truck where the cab has to come off that install might be $5k or more!
Budget is relative to the dirt on your hands and your blood on various parts.
Dust
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

I got a good reman long block for 2k and that was a roller motor for a 96. With a new distributor and other things by the time myself dad and buddy installed the motor i spent 3k.
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

Dust wrote:$10k for the long block may not be a "Budget" build however it is actually a good price for what you are getting.
A rebuilt 351W with good quality replacement parts cast pistons and a balance is going to run +/- $5k for a long block.
Completing the engine will be another $500 if EFI +parts, and it is still not a running engine.
The install will depend a lifted Bronco will cost more then a gen-3 Stang and if it was a late model truck where the cab has to come off that install might be $5k or more!
Dust
===
And Summit sells the Boss 351/427 for & ~8600, but you need to add intake, carb, & sparker.
The guys are talking about a DIY 351. Then add the cost for machining, crank, pistons, heads, cam, new sparker, and labor. With EFI new injectors pump, regulator, etc. For carb new is necessary. Leave stuff out by using stock parts does not seem reasonable. Then the tuning starts. Up goes the cost.
Who knows what the real comparison would be. Anybody want to take on the task?
Maybe Seattle FSB will chime in? http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/sho ... ht=stroker
His build is pretty high cost.
Paul
Dust

Post by Dust »

PaulW wrote:
Dust wrote:$10k for the long block may not be a "Budget" build however it is actually a good price for what you are getting.
Dust
===
And Summit sells the Boss 351/427 for & ~8600, but you need to add intake, carb, & sparker.
The guys are talking about a DIY 351. Then add the cost for machining, crank, pistons, heads, cam, new sparker, and labor. With EFI new injectors pump, regulator, etc. For carb new is necessary. Leave stuff out by using stock parts does not seem reasonable. Then the tuning starts. Up goes the cost.
Who knows what the real comparison would be. Anybody want to take on the task?
Maybe Seattle FSB will chime in? http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/sho ... ht=stroker
His build is pretty high cost.
Paul
Hi Paul.
A bit of background I suppose. I spent about 5-years directly in the Reman buisness and well over 15 in the R&D side of racing engines.
FWIW: A bone stock 351W if the core is 100% useable could be done for $2k (not by me though) and dirty hands, and I would personally be leery of the quality of the parts! The cleaner the hands stay, or the more the core needs, the higher the price; though for a Stocker $5k would be the upper limit and "should" include better parts.
The real comparison is in the application, for example I have a little 466 out on the stand in my shop and I have a stock 429 in the nose of my 75. If I compare the stock 429 to the built 466 well there is no comparison! They were not built to perform the same way! The 429 being an early engine is 11:1CR where I built the 466 at only 10.5:1. The price for the complete 429 was under a grand where just the parts bill in the 466 was more then 5x that; But one was designed to motivate a lincoln and the other was made to make an F250 Highboy fly.
My point is before one reaches for a comparison the playing field must be defined and in this thread I do not feel it has been at all Stock Remans and Strokers are not comparable and should not be unless the Stocker is treated to the same level of $$$$$ and modifications.
I also have on another stand a HO 5.0l Roller Stock type Reman Long Block (no tin, etc) I picked it up in trade and it still had the price take on it of $1895 and a date of 2002 today it would be close to double that amount.
Dust
AussieRod
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.

Post by AussieRod »

I've decided that once my old pushrod 5.0 needs replacing, I'll be looking for a new Coyote replacement. As soon as funds become available again, I will be lining one up to send across the pacific pond.
hobbyturnedobsession

Youre shitting me Rod! I eant one fir the bronco so bad.
Agui-E7TE
Bronco Info: 89 Bronco w/ 6 in. skyjacker kit w/ dual Bilstein 5150 shocks up front and Deaver F53's in the rear

Post by Agui-E7TE »

The coyote seems like it would be an awesome engine to run in a Bronco. 418 HP and it revs to 7500 rpms, what's not to like?!

After running my Bronco through Glamis over the weekend it was very clear that the stock 351 just wont cut it and anyone who says it's at least better than a 5.0 really needs to think about how much power they're not putting out. On the flip side, I could in theory swap in the built 5.0L off my Mustang which is already putting out well over 400 HP (best guess from the seat of the pants dyno and the new 5.0 coyote Mustangs it's smoked as well as SS Camaros). I can run it reliably on pump gas 91 octane and its super reliable even as a daily driver.

I honestly think 400 HP is the minimum a Bronco should have just because of it's weight. A high revving engine is also perfect (or maybe just plain cool) and the coyote V8 would definitely be the ticket to better performance off road.
hobbyturnedobsession

Its hard to move a 5500 pound truck through the sand. You need alot of hp.