FOA shock opinions

User avatar
Kel Fab Creations
Posts: 727
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:01 pm
Bronco Info: 95 Bronco
Location: San Jacinto, Ca
Contact:

FOA shock opinions

Post by Kel Fab Creations »

Here's the deal. I already have some used Fox 2.0 bumps and used Fox 2.5x14 coilovers for the front and used King 2.5x12 double bypass race series for the rear. Ideally I'd like to have everything match brand wise so I'm throwing around the idea of selling what I have and buying new FOA stuff. It should be a wash money wise after I sell the used stuff. I know FOA has had some growing pains along the way but from what I've read they have great customer service and the owner seems to have a good history/knowledge of shocks. I like the idea running quality parts from the "little guy" and proving people wrong. I know there are threads on other sites about FOA but I figure I'll get better opinions here rather operator errors blaming the shock company.
Kelly @ Kel Fab Creations
User avatar
hobbyturnedobsession
Posts: 4673
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:34 am
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0
Location: High Desert CA

Re: FOA shock opinions

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

My buddy has em on a baja. They leak ALOT
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
User avatar
Kel Fab Creations
Posts: 727
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:01 pm
Bronco Info: 95 Bronco
Location: San Jacinto, Ca
Contact:

Re: FOA shock opinions

Post by Kel Fab Creations »

how long has he had them?
Kelly @ Kel Fab Creations
User avatar
hobbyturnedobsession
Posts: 4673
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:34 am
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0
Location: High Desert CA

Re: FOA shock opinions

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

Hes had them for 6 to 8 months but they started leaking before he hit the dirt. Its been an on going build so its seen dirt once.
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
User avatar
fordf100amc
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:43 am
Bronco Info: 91 bronco

Re: FOA shock opinions

Post by fordf100amc »

I have some 2.5 triple bypasses that leaked on my first trip. I'm going to put new seals in them before my Pismo trip in Jan and see how they do then.
DANNYV
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:43 pm
Bronco Info: 1995 XLT

Re: FOA shock opinions

Post by DANNYV »

I run FOA coil overs on my bronco. The shocks work great but require some extra maintenance . My shocks started leaking the first time i took my truck out. So i rebuilt them and found tuns of little bits of metal inside mixed in with the oil . After the rebuild one is leak free and one barely leaks . There customer service is awesome, they helped me out alot when i was trying to figure out my valving.
User avatar
AussieRod
Posts: 2818
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:43 am
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.
Location: Downunder

Re: FOA shock opinions

Post by AussieRod »

I was considering running FOA's and did a lot of trolling reading the good and bad. It seems MOST of the complaints centre around finding metal from the machining processes in the oil and valve, so if I/you were seriously considering them, first thing to do would be to strip them down and clean the internals thoroughly to make sure of their cleanliness BEFORE you use them for the first time. Leaking is also a common theme, so fitting better shaft and body seals might help. Customer service might be great compared to other shock makers, but a poor product quickly makes that deal sour fast. Just my 0.02.
EDIT: I'm thinking the leaking and metal in the oil might be going hand in hand here. Metal particals will wreck the seals and cause leaks. Blueprinting them prior to first use might save a lot of later headaches. :D
Last edited by AussieRod on Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kylesgorter
Posts: 217
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:50 am
Bronco Info: 92 Fullsize EB. 357w, midtravel front, custome rear packs, bilstein shocks, fox air bumps

Re: FOA shock opinions

Post by kylesgorter »

I've run foas on a couple vehicles both smooth bodies and coilover, their bumps are ok. They are a great company and I've never had one leak on me. That being said I'm a fox guy and always have been. I feel there is no better than fox. Fox 2.0 bumps are 30 dollars each more expensive than foa bumps and are much higher quality. That's what is go with
User avatar
AussieRod
Posts: 2818
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:43 am
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.
Location: Downunder

Re: FOA shock opinions

Post by AussieRod »

^^ agreed. I prefer Fox, when budget allows, but if money dictated my choice (as it usally does) for a full set of new shocks I would try FOA.
kylesgorter
Posts: 217
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:50 am
Bronco Info: 92 Fullsize EB. 357w, midtravel front, custome rear packs, bilstein shocks, fox air bumps

Re: FOA shock opinions

Post by kylesgorter »

That's what I did on my ranger and the out come was good. The truck worked well the shocks were cake to work on and no shock related issues. Side by side you can see a difference in quality between foa and shocks like fox, king, etc. The nicer shocks have better machining, higher quality material, and tighter tolerances. Your dollar goes a long way with foa though and I wouldn't hesitate to run them.again
shockseals.com
Posts: 1116
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:50 am
Location: San Dimas
Contact:

Re: FOA shock opinions

Post by shockseals.com »

AussieRod wrote:I was considering running FOA's and did a lot of trolling reading the good and bad. It seems MOST of the complaints centre around finding metal from the machining processes in the oil and valve, so if I/you were seriously considering them, first thing to do would be to strip them down and clean the internals thoroughly to make sure of their cleanliness BEFORE you use them for the first time. Leaking is also a common theme, so fitting better shaft and body seals might help. Customer service might be great compared to other shock makers, but a poor product quickly makes that deal sour fast. Just my 0.02.
EDIT: I'm thinking the leaking and metal in the oil might be going hand in hand here. Metal particals will wreck the seals and cause leaks. Blueprinting them prior to first use might save a lot of later headaches. :D
They use the same seal/wiper/oring brands/materials as everybody else.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
User avatar
AussieRod
Posts: 2818
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:43 am
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.
Location: Downunder

Re: FOA shock opinions

Post by AussieRod »

shockseals.com wrote:
AussieRod wrote:I was considering running FOA's and did a lot of trolling reading the good and bad. It seems MOST of the complaints centre around finding metal from the machining processes in the oil and valve, so if I/you were seriously considering them, first thing to do would be to strip them down and clean the internals thoroughly to make sure of their cleanliness BEFORE you use them for the first time. Leaking is also a common theme, so fitting better shaft and body seals might help. Customer service might be great compared to other shock makers, but a poor product quickly makes that deal sour fast. Just my 0.02.
EDIT: I'm thinking the leaking and metal in the oil might be going hand in hand here. Metal particals will wreck the seals and cause leaks. Blueprinting them prior to first use might save a lot of later headaches. :D
They use the same seal/wiper/oring brands/materials as everybody else.
Thanks, Kris, I stand corrected.
User avatar
Kel Fab Creations
Posts: 727
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:01 pm
Bronco Info: 95 Bronco
Location: San Jacinto, Ca
Contact:

Re: FOA shock opinions

Post by Kel Fab Creations »

shockseals.com wrote:They use the same seal/wiper/oring brands/materials as everybody else.
So what do u think about them Kris? The only thing it can come down to is machining right? Their product has clearly gotten better over the years and i would think they were now on par with everyone else after getting rid of all the cast parts. Aparently the quality control is in check now. Have u seen/worked on their new shocks? Last couple months is when they changed a lot of stuff.
Kelly @ Kel Fab Creations
Threat Motorsports
Posts: 346
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 9:51 am
Bronco Info: 95 Bronco SOLD!
Location: UTAH

Re: FOA shock opinions

Post by Threat Motorsports »

FOA has definitely improved on quality control. Tolerances are still a tad loose here and there but not nearly as bad as they used too be. I haven't worked on a set of there bumps in quite some time but before they were really bad. On every set I worked on the were really loose. In other words you could grab on the stik pad and wiggle the shaft side too side. I would assume they took care of that though by now. Really good customer service over there!
User avatar
BDKW1
Posts: 1518
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:19 pm
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!
Location: Not Socal

Re: FOA shock opinions

Post by BDKW1 »

I have gotten several sets and put them together Myself. No leaks or any problems. They take a little extra care when you are assembling them.
User avatar
Kel Fab Creations
Posts: 727
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:01 pm
Bronco Info: 95 Bronco
Location: San Jacinto, Ca
Contact:

Re: FOA shock opinions

Post by Kel Fab Creations »

So I think I'm gonna stick with what I have for now. If I hadn't already bought used shocks I think I would have gone all new FOA. I did however buy bump cans, oil, shims, misalignment spacers from FOA yesterday to revalve my kings. (Should be delivered today too!) I may look to trade someone my fox coilovers for kings though so i don't have to buy different oil/shims.
Kelly @ Kel Fab Creations
mesquito_creek
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:22 pm
Bronco Info: No Bronco 92 F150 4x... Pretty close?

Re: FOA shock opinions

Post by mesquito_creek »

I have FOA coilovers up front... They work fine, but you do have to consider a few things that contribute to the lower cost. First the remote reservoirs are softer metal (aluminum?) and not stainless steel, so they are easier to to damage. If you drop the reservior cynlinder it can make it not round (dont ask why I know). And the IFP can easily damage the inside of the reservoir tube. But if you take care of it, it works. The shock shafts are threaded with the same diameter as the shaft itself, so its pretty hard not to damage the seals on the piston/endcap sliding them over (some older SAWs were this way too). So once again tech/operator skill is important. They work well, but If I was constantly tuning and taking my shocks apart I would like some of the better qualities of more spendy brands. If you service them once a year or less and can take your time and milk the process, its not a big deal. I am a satisfied customer, but I put foxes on the rear. If the money factor was the difference between run what you brung or sitting it out for the weekend, I wouldnt hesitate to buy some foas and get out on the dirt...
Daves Offroad Supply
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:14 pm
Bronco Info: 2012 Custom Buggy

Re: FOA shock opinions

Post by Daves Offroad Supply »

I am a dealer for FOA and also for Radflo, the Radflo's are much better and thats what I run. I think Radflo is the best bang for your buck brand. We have three race cars, one is a TJ with smooth body Radflos and they have been beat pretty hard, never been rebuild. The other two are race buggies, one of them runs Radflo's and the other runs FOA's. The FOA's are sent back every season for a rebuild and new seals. The rig on Radflo's has been on them 3+ seasons, never leaked and never rebuilt.
shockseals.com
Posts: 1116
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:50 am
Location: San Dimas
Contact:

Re: FOA shock opinions

Post by shockseals.com »

Any competitive rig should have shocks rebuilt often...no matter the brand. Street trucks used offroad are suggested to be rebuilt more often then that!
Daves Offroad Supply wrote:I am a dealer for FOA and also for Radflo, the Radflo's are much better and thats what I run. I think Radflo is the best bang for your buck brand. We have three race cars, one is a TJ with smooth body Radflos and they have been beat pretty hard, never been rebuild. The other two are race buggies, one of them runs Radflo's and the other runs FOA's. The FOA's are sent back every season for a rebuild and new seals. The rig on Radflo's has been on them 3+ seasons, never leaked and never rebuilt.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
Daves Offroad Supply
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:14 pm
Bronco Info: 2012 Custom Buggy

Re: FOA shock opinions

Post by Daves Offroad Supply »

Care to explain why? If there is nothing wrong with something why would you rebuild it? If your trans hits 100k miles but works fine you don't rebuild it just because you should.
Post Reply