So I think im gunna go C&T now what?

Dezertbronco
Posts: 652
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:29 am
Bronco Info: 1990 Bronco EB
Location: Highland, CA.

So I think im gunna go C&T now what?

Post by Dezertbronco »

are there any places that I need to plate on the frame to make it bulletproof? It only makes sense to do it while its apart.

Do I really need to plate the beams or truss them?

Do Broncos Have a weak spot at the Steering box like Chevys?
There is no substititute for Horsepower.
User avatar
philofab
Basura Blanca
Posts: 5643
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
Location: Bullhead, AZ
Contact:

Re: So I think im gunna go C&T now what?

Post by philofab »

Dezertbronco wrote:are there any places that I need to plate on the frame to make it bulletproof? It only makes sense to do it while its apart.

Do I really need to plate the beams or truss them?

Do Broncos Have a weak spot at the Steering box like Chevys?
The steering box will break the sector shaft long before any frame issues. The passenger beam needs the backside plated and also additional plating below the axle hole if you clearance it. Drivers side doesn't really need any due to the third, maybe near the pivot on the backside if it makes you feel better. Some people like to weld the front cross member up, but I have never seen evidence it needs to be done. I would only weld reinforcement washers to the beam pivots on the frame while the beams are off. The frames on these trucks need a cage for stiffness more than they need actual plating.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
Dezertbronco
Posts: 652
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:29 am
Bronco Info: 1990 Bronco EB
Location: Highland, CA.

Re: So I think im gunna go C&T now what?

Post by Dezertbronco »

Keifer said that he plates his beams in that exact way. Looks like I will leave it alone.
There is no substititute for Horsepower.
User avatar
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Posts: 7309
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:19 am
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8
Location: Riverside Ca
Contact:

Re: So I think im gunna go C&T now what?

Post by tcm glx »

Radius Arms
Dezertbronco
Posts: 652
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:29 am
Bronco Info: 1990 Bronco EB
Location: Highland, CA.

Re: So I think im gunna go C&T now what?

Post by Dezertbronco »

tcm glx wrote:Radius Arms
Good one Tony, Thats a Given. now do I swant Kiefers or Solo.
There is no substititute for Horsepower.
User avatar
yikes
Founder
Posts: 4138
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:51 am
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff
Location: Yucaipa, CA

Re: So I think im gunna go C&T now what?

Post by yikes »

I'm a fan of Keifer's radius arms. Might buy some myself, if I can ever get that pitman arm out of him.
User avatar
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Posts: 7309
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:19 am
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8
Location: Riverside Ca
Contact:

Re: So I think im gunna go C&T now what?

Post by tcm glx »

Dezertbronco wrote:
tcm glx wrote:Radius Arms
Good one Tony, Thats a Given. now do I swant Kiefers or Solo.

Well, If your going with Keifers beams, you might as well have him give you a bundle deal on the radius arms too. If your on a budget, go with solo, or threat motorsports......

Or, if you are on a super tight budget, there was a set of arms on craigslist yesterday... if Chris hasnt swooped em up yet.
Dezertbronco
Posts: 652
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:29 am
Bronco Info: 1990 Bronco EB
Location: Highland, CA.

Re: So I think im gunna go C&T now what?

Post by Dezertbronco »

Its all about the budget right now, I have even tossed around the idea if selling the Bronco. but then I think of all the great places it has taken Me Family And Friends and I cant do it. so It is going to be budget driven. I Never even thought of threat how is their stuff?
There is no substititute for Horsepower.
User avatar
Nick
Founder
Posts: 3973
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:36 pm
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target
Location: La Habra Ca.

Re: So I think im gunna go C&T now what?

Post by Nick »

Are you in a big hurry? My last bronco i hurried up and threw a mixed bag of parts together. The result wasn't that bad, but it wasn't that great either.

I'm on a tight budget myself, so for this build, i have learned to be patient. I have scoured the classifieds, i've gone to swapmeets, and i've done research on what does, and doesn't work, And i've come up with what i consider a solid parts list(see my build thread). It's taken me a year, but i've spent probably a quarter of what some have spent for the same parts. You can do the same.
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
BajaBronco13
Bronco Broker
Posts: 2434
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:00 am
Bronco Info: Bronco AKA The Silver Bullet
Location: Orange County, California

Re: So I think im gunna go C&T now what?

Post by BajaBronco13 »

tcm glx wrote:
Dezertbronco wrote:
tcm glx wrote:Radius Arms

Or, if you are on a super tight budget, there was a set of arms on craigslist yesterday... if Chris hasnt swooped em up yet.

Tony, they turned out to be not that great of a deal without pivot boxes or heims for $200.00. You can pick up a set from Dave at Threat Motorsports for $425.
User avatar
Rednek Renegade
Posts: 123
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:53 pm
Bronco Info: 1985 Bronco Xlt 5.8L 4V H.O. C6, NP2o8
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, So.Cal
Contact:

Re: So I think im gunna go C&T now what?

Post by Rednek Renegade »

BajaBronco13 wrote:
tcm glx wrote:
Dezertbronco wrote:

Or, if you are on a super tight budget, there was a set of arms on craigslist yesterday... if Chris hasnt swooped em up yet.

Tony, they turned out to be not that great of a deal without pivot boxes or heims for $200.00. You can pick up a set from Dave at Threat Motorsports for $425.

They are also for a TTB 35 explorer front end not a bronco, if that makes a difference.
Project el cheap-o
User avatar
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Posts: 7309
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:19 am
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8
Location: Riverside Ca
Contact:

Re: So I think im gunna go C&T now what?

Post by tcm glx »

BajaBronco13 wrote:

Tony, they turned out to be not that great of a deal without pivot boxes or heims for $200.00. You can pick up a set from Dave at Threat Motorsports for $425.

That blows
User avatar
bajascott
My belly is my best friend
Posts: 2006
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:29 pm
Bronco Info: its black, its fun to drive,and i dont have enough money to build it the way i want to!:)
Location: southern oregon
Contact:

Re: So I think im gunna go C&T now what?

Post by bajascott »

if you can try and buy all your fabbed parts from one source.that way you know you are getting things that match.
if you cant, and are buying only used stuff, buy from some one you know,or someone with a good rep. just my opinion.
i see parts for sale all time,and every part is in "good" shape" low miles,clean one owner. just be careful about what you do pick up.
FRONT YARD FABRICATION
http://ssfab-n-offroad.com/
Post Reply