Rear Suspension Crossroads

bajacowboy
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:06 pm
Bronco Info: 89 Bronco 4inch over beams, currie rear axle 5 inch over, BFG projects.
Location: Palm Desert

Rear Suspension Crossroads

Post by bajacowboy »

So I have come to a big crossroads in doing my rear suspension from doing a 64" leaf set up or doing a 4 link. I know most guys will say 4 link it just cause its cool and their isnt much of them out there.

So at this point in my built i can go either way. my currie rear end is set up for a 4 link and i have the links (47.5 long) but i also have the 64" kit. So i would need to modify my axle for the leaf spring or just leave the axle how it is and finish putting together a 4 link. Its mainly going to be used as a another prerunner for our team.

I am leaning 51% for doing the leafs (easy to repair /replace, handling/stable, towing a bit more then linked)
and 49% for doing the links (because of the cool factor,and wheel travel)

it would only be about a 6 inchs of travel from the too from the wa i would do it. (19" springs, 25" linked)

What is your input???
User avatar
hobbyturnedobsession
Posts: 4673
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:34 am
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0
Location: High Desert CA

Re: Rear Suspension Crossroads

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

I believe that is the c6 trans? Even then your still limited on driveline angle. If you were to link your bronco you should extend it to get the full use of the link setup although its nice to do the shock / spring setup. I've heard on the bronco that if you set your leafs / shocks up right its 80% what a link setup would be. Plus I would think that the link setup would be a b**** for body roll.
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
shockseals.com
Posts: 1116
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:50 am
Location: San Dimas
Contact:

Re: Rear Suspension Crossroads

Post by shockseals.com »

You will not gain any wheel travel doing a 4 link. You will gain reliability at a loss of interior space.

The driveshaft is your travel limiter.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
bajacowboy
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:06 pm
Bronco Info: 89 Bronco 4inch over beams, currie rear axle 5 inch over, BFG projects.
Location: Palm Desert

Re: Rear Suspension Crossroads

Post by bajacowboy »

it doesnt have the C6, I forgot to mention if i was to link it i would extended the wheel base by 10 inchs, making the wheelbase at 114-115. I knew the driveline would be the biggest problem, as the angle would be pretty steep.
User avatar
BDKW1
Posts: 1518
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:19 pm
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!
Location: Not Socal

Re: Rear Suspension Crossroads

Post by BDKW1 »

hobbyturnedobsession wrote:Plus I would think that the link setup would be a b**** for body roll.
That all depends on your spring rate and where you mount the links on the axle.

Most people use way to soft of a rate and don't angle the trailing arms out...........
Post Reply