Rear Leaf Springs

User avatar
convoy
Posts: 355
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:08 pm
Location: San Clemente

Re: Deaver J40 or F64

Post by convoy »

If I'm not mistaken Autofab sells National LS with 2 1/2" lift. Not sure if he still has these, since IIRC it's been about 17 years since I bought them from John.
BajaBronco13
Bronco Broker
Posts: 2434
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:00 am
Bronco Info: Bronco AKA The Silver Bullet
Location: Orange County, California

Re: Deaver J40 or F64

Post by BajaBronco13 »

I'll be running Pro Comp's 4" coils. I have now Deaver F53s with Solo Shackles. I won't be running the shackle hanger drop bracket from Solo but it will be interesting to see if the vehicle is level or @$$ hi or low.

Chris
User avatar
Polarcub
Posts: 1949
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:53 pm
Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 95 XLT still in the shop........
Location: Brighton, TN

Re: Deaver J40 or F64

Post by Polarcub »

I ran the F64s and they are a good spring they will be closer to the 4" lift for sure but IMO the J40 is a better performing spring. With deletion of factory wedge and the longer shackles the J40 is nearly level with a set of settled deaver 5.5 the pro comp 4" springs sat nearly identical if not higher up front when new. The F64s actually had the rear slightly lower than the front with the factory wedge removed.
Jeremy
Pony Boy
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:25 pm

Re: Deaver J40 or F64

Post by Pony Boy »

Yeah, I would really like the available travel the J40's would have, the only thing is at this point I plan on keeping the stock wedge, just because at the moment I can't weld. I'd like to learn! So for now I "planned" on keeping the wedge and changing the angle of the perches when I can, whether that means taking it somewhere or doing it myself. Part of the problem is that I'm in NY too, so where am I going to find a decent fab shop. Hmmm.... decisions, decisions. If ya wanna play ya gotta pay, right?
User avatar
Polarcub
Posts: 1949
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:53 pm
Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 95 XLT still in the shop........
Location: Brighton, TN

Re: Deaver J40 or F64

Post by Polarcub »

Having a shop weld in new perches is not rocket science. Many Hot rod builders do it. If it were me I would just start looking up hot rod or general fab shops and ask around. If they dont do it they can probably steer you to someone who does. One thing I have learned over the years is that I could have saved myself alot of time and money by doing things once and skipping the interm set ups. My only suggestion if you go to the J40s is get a longer shackle. Good luck whatever you decide and make sure to post pics!
Jeremy
Pony Boy
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:25 pm

Re: Deaver J40 or F64

Post by Pony Boy »

Do Camburg extended shackles fit without cutting into the body?
User avatar
Polarcub
Posts: 1949
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:53 pm
Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 95 XLT still in the shop........
Location: Brighton, TN

Re: Deaver J40 or F64

Post by Polarcub »

Pony Boy wrote:Do Camburg extended shackles fit without cutting into the body?
Yes kind of....you may have to clearance slightly though its very minor but you wont have to cut through. I believe the shackles that Mark offer through southwest will fit without clearancing though at all. If you look at the lip hanging down off the body seam that is what needs to be trimmed
Jeremy
Pony Boy
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:25 pm

Re: Rear Leaf Springs

Post by Pony Boy »

Ok, thanks for all the input you guys have given me, especially polarcub! I've got the back all ready for new springs, Bilstein 5100's are on the way, new hangers are in, now I'm just waiting to pull the trigger on whichever leaf pack I decide to get. Definitely leaning towards the J40 pack with extended shackles. Now I'm itching to get everything together! Thanks again guys!
User avatar
philofab
Basura Blanca
Posts: 5643
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
Location: Bullhead, AZ
Contact:

Re: Rear Leaf Springs

Post by philofab »

As far as I know the F64 is no longer available from Deaver.

I'm thinking about swapping to a Giant spring under pack.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
shockseals.com
Posts: 1116
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:50 am
Location: San Dimas
Contact:

Re: Rear Leaf Springs

Post by shockseals.com »

If I am satisfied with the pack I am developing I will have them available and for sale within the year hopefully. I dont want to sell something I havent proven/tested myself is the reason on the timeline. I should have my proto pack mid july.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
User avatar
sydude
Posts: 282
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:53 am
Bronco Info: 1992 Restored Bronco w/Built 302x, All Glass, Full Cage, Bilstein 9100's & Deavers
Location: Westchester, NY
Contact:

Re: Rear Leaf Springs

Post by sydude »

Pony Boy, I may be selling my J40's if you're interested. They're basically brand new, and I'm in New York.
User avatar
philofab
Basura Blanca
Posts: 5643
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
Location: Bullhead, AZ
Contact:

Re: Rear Leaf Springs

Post by philofab »

shockseals.com wrote:If I am satisfied with the pack I am developing I will have them available and for sale within the year hopefully. I dont want to sell something I havent proven/tested myself is the reason on the timeline. I should have my proto pack mid july.
Are you going spring under or stock style?
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
shockseals.com
Posts: 1116
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:50 am
Location: San Dimas
Contact:

Re: Rear Leaf Springs

Post by shockseals.com »

philofab wrote:
shockseals.com wrote:If I am satisfied with the pack I am developing I will have them available and for sale within the year hopefully. I dont want to sell something I havent proven/tested myself is the reason on the timeline. I should have my proto pack mid july.
Are you going spring under or stock style?
Spring over/stock style.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
drj777
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:48 pm
Bronco Info: 1986 5.0 XLT - bone stock w/ 4.56s
Location: LOST ANGELS

Re: Rear Leaf Springs

Post by drj777 »

does anyone have more pics of their completed rear suspension?
has anyone upgraded from the 5100 to the 5160...or something else?


drj
Last edited by drj777 on Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- exMDR volunteer / SCORE class 1 chaser / KOH #10 chaser -
-'86 FSB 5.0 XLT (4.56s / FL headers)
-'03 f150 S'crew 4x4 (4.56s / Detroit / Deavers)
Pony Boy
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:25 pm

Re: Rear Leaf Springs

Post by Pony Boy »

Sydude, PM sent
shockseals.com
Posts: 1116
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:50 am
Location: San Dimas
Contact:

Re: Rear Leaf Springs

Post by shockseals.com »

Anybody have their rig handy and can measure thickness of the first two leaves of a F53 pack? I do not have access to mine.

Thanks
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
User avatar
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Posts: 7309
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:19 am
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8
Location: Riverside Ca
Contact:

Re: Rear Leaf Springs

Post by tcm glx »

shockseals.com wrote:Anybody have their rig handy and can measure thickness of the first two leaves of a F53 pack? I do not have access to mine.

Thanks

I can get to mine in about 3-4 hrs if you need it Kris... let me know
shockseals.com
Posts: 1116
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:50 am
Location: San Dimas
Contact:

Re: Rear Leaf Springs

Post by shockseals.com »

tcm glx wrote:
shockseals.com wrote:Anybody have their rig handy and can measure thickness of the first two leaves of a F53 pack? I do not have access to mine.

Thanks

I can get to mine in about 3-4 hrs if you need it Kris... let me know

That would be great. The pack consists of either .262 or .237 leaves I just cant remember which.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
shockseals.com
Posts: 1116
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:50 am
Location: San Dimas
Contact:

Re: Rear Leaf Springs

Post by shockseals.com »

Does anybody have a pair of F53s off the truck and can measure the free arch? If you draw a straightline from eye to eye and measure to the top of the main leaf at the center bolt would be the free arch.

I know what they are new but I have a feeling they take a set once used and thats the number im looking for
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
User avatar
economig
Posts: 1101
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:15 am
Bronco Info: 1994 Eddie Bauer 5.8L
Location: SW Riverside County

Re: Rear Leaf Springs

Post by economig »

shockseals.com wrote:Does anybody have a pair of F53s off the truck and can measure the free arch? If you draw a straightline from eye to eye and measure to the top of the main leaf at the center bolt would be the free arch.

I know what they are new but I have a feeling they take a set once used and thats the number im looking for
i have a brand new pair, off the truck, at my house... but i'm at work

i might have read this wrong? do you want free arch measurement for new or used? if you want, i can measure my new ones when i get home

lemme know

***EDIT*** aaah! my bad, i just re-read your post (sorry)
T H R E A T Motorsports
Post Reply