'80-86 bronco+roller turbo 351W= awesome/fun desert truck?
-
Red91XLT
- Posts: 6
- Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:50 pm
- Bronco Info: '91 XLT, F4TE roller 5.8, HD E4OD, 6" lift coming soon
- Location: Jackson, MS
- Contact:
'80-86 bronco+roller turbo 351W= awesome/fun desert truck?
Some of you on FSB may remember my Moving to Phoenix thread in the southwest section, but most of you are probably unaware.
So... to elaborate on the thread title...
My 91 is nowhere near smog legal and the body is pretty beat to hell, here in MS it would make a great trail truck, and that's what I'd planned on doing with it since I have no desert around.....
But! now that I'm going out to Arizona, I've been reconsidering my plan. I'm really starting to hate the look of my '91, and I think I'd prefer an older 80's model.
I'm perfectly aware that turbocharging sucks when it comes to anything mud/water related... but for a desert truck? I think there'd be some benefit, although heat seems to be a concern.
Oh yeah... another reason this is here... not in the mood for getting flamed over said topic of fsb.
Anyway, I'd like to buy an 80's body style bronco and transplant my 351 & e4od into it, consider both are near perfect and great performers. I've been toying the idea of a low (8-12psi) boost turbo system over in my head, and the more I think about it, the more I like it. A head & intake swap, maybe even a MAF conversion and I'd be set, or so it would seem.
Question is... how reliably would it perform out running around the dunes of the arizona desert? Projected cost of new internals for a stroker motor aren't worth it to me, as my enthusiasm and participation for off-roading has fallen off lately, so a nice set of used heads, a lightning or edelbrock intake, & some fab'd manifolds + second hand turbo would make for a pretty fun rig, or at least I seem to think so.
The current 351 is an F4TE block, which makes it prime for this kind of induction, the e4od is a small block housing with complete 460 "HD" internals (all the way from front pump to tailshaft, solenoids and valve body included). I figure I could piggy back a megasquirt onto the ecm & harness to better control timing and fuel injection but retain the transmission programming.
I guess since I'm projecting so much more cost for the repair of my bronco's chassis and exterior I've lost interest in trying to repair it to the standards I'd like to. It just seems I could save myself a great deal of cash by buying a cheaper, cleaner 80's body fsb and going at it. not to mention my truck's suspension is all kinds of shit... Oh... and I hate rock crawling... since there's little to no mud there, I figured I'd have a lot more fun building a desert truck..
Anyway, call me crazy but I like the idea of it. Maybe some of you know some guys running forced induction out there? What kind of performance are they seeing and how often are they having trouble with detonation and cooling issues?
So... to elaborate on the thread title...
My 91 is nowhere near smog legal and the body is pretty beat to hell, here in MS it would make a great trail truck, and that's what I'd planned on doing with it since I have no desert around.....
But! now that I'm going out to Arizona, I've been reconsidering my plan. I'm really starting to hate the look of my '91, and I think I'd prefer an older 80's model.
I'm perfectly aware that turbocharging sucks when it comes to anything mud/water related... but for a desert truck? I think there'd be some benefit, although heat seems to be a concern.
Oh yeah... another reason this is here... not in the mood for getting flamed over said topic of fsb.
Anyway, I'd like to buy an 80's body style bronco and transplant my 351 & e4od into it, consider both are near perfect and great performers. I've been toying the idea of a low (8-12psi) boost turbo system over in my head, and the more I think about it, the more I like it. A head & intake swap, maybe even a MAF conversion and I'd be set, or so it would seem.
Question is... how reliably would it perform out running around the dunes of the arizona desert? Projected cost of new internals for a stroker motor aren't worth it to me, as my enthusiasm and participation for off-roading has fallen off lately, so a nice set of used heads, a lightning or edelbrock intake, & some fab'd manifolds + second hand turbo would make for a pretty fun rig, or at least I seem to think so.
The current 351 is an F4TE block, which makes it prime for this kind of induction, the e4od is a small block housing with complete 460 "HD" internals (all the way from front pump to tailshaft, solenoids and valve body included). I figure I could piggy back a megasquirt onto the ecm & harness to better control timing and fuel injection but retain the transmission programming.
I guess since I'm projecting so much more cost for the repair of my bronco's chassis and exterior I've lost interest in trying to repair it to the standards I'd like to. It just seems I could save myself a great deal of cash by buying a cheaper, cleaner 80's body fsb and going at it. not to mention my truck's suspension is all kinds of shit... Oh... and I hate rock crawling... since there's little to no mud there, I figured I'd have a lot more fun building a desert truck..
Anyway, call me crazy but I like the idea of it. Maybe some of you know some guys running forced induction out there? What kind of performance are they seeing and how often are they having trouble with detonation and cooling issues?

- Polarcub
- Posts: 1949
- Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:53 pm
- Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 95 XLT still in the shop........
- Location: Brighton, TN
Re: '80-86 bronco+roller turbo 351W= awesome/fun desert truck?
I have no first hand experience with forced induction but for many years the sand crowd has been running turbos on the Subaru motors and some other variants with no problems. Sounds like a fun project I say go for it and let us know how it works out.
Jeremy
- philofab
- Basura Blanca
- Posts: 5643
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
- Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
- Location: Bullhead, AZ
- Contact:
Re: '80-86 bronco+roller turbo 351W= awesome/fun desert truck?
The cooling thing is not an issue as long you keep the motor from going lean. Turbo vehicles would be more common off road except current racing rules forbid them and that translates to what people build for toys most of the time. FYI, your tuning can be handled with a TwEECer. MAP is preferred for boost over MAF.
Check out the F2000.
http://www.fordf2000.com/
Check out the F2000.
http://www.fordf2000.com/
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
Re: '80-86 bronco+roller turbo 351W= awesome/fun desert truck?
I have a complete 85 Bronco less title for you very cheap and I am in AZ.
It has a very straight body, an HO 4v 351, C6, 9". It is completely stock and original would make a great donor for a prerunner or ASCC stock truck.
It has a very straight body, an HO 4v 351, C6, 9". It is completely stock and original would make a great donor for a prerunner or ASCC stock truck.
-
Red91XLT
- Posts: 6
- Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:50 pm
- Bronco Info: '91 XLT, F4TE roller 5.8, HD E4OD, 6" lift coming soon
- Location: Jackson, MS
- Contact:
Re: '80-86 bronco+roller turbo 351W= awesome/fun desert truck?
Philo: I've heard of tweecer through fsb, but have heard more about megasquirt. I've been unaware that MAP was preferred for forced induction, as most of the turbo fords I see are foxbody or sn95 mustangs with MAF. Ideally, whatever would function better with the e4od's programming while controlling or helping to control ignition and fuel would be the choice. I even have a "derelict" 64bit pentium 4 laptop that would work wonderfully for tuning it.
Gunit: I'm actually very interested in this, of course, understand that I won't be in AZ until 2011 (shooting for January, but would not be surprised if I was delayed 'till Feb). Do you have any pics of said '85?
I'm generally excited about this and making it work. The most interesting thing is that my current ECM is a colorado unit made for High Altitude.... so down here in the south with the denser air, the efi system is constantly introducing more fuel than necessary, leaving me with a potent "unburned" odor, and occasional smoke upon heavy acceleration. So I'm under the impression that this ecm may actually help me more than harm me.
My current powerplant is a pure out HOSS... I have every intention of using it and adapting it to this cause.
Now.... how much am I going to spend for some of that snazzy desert racing TTB stuff you are running? Not saying I need FOX coilovers and what not, but the beams and joints & things?
Gunit: I'm actually very interested in this, of course, understand that I won't be in AZ until 2011 (shooting for January, but would not be surprised if I was delayed 'till Feb). Do you have any pics of said '85?
I'm generally excited about this and making it work. The most interesting thing is that my current ECM is a colorado unit made for High Altitude.... so down here in the south with the denser air, the efi system is constantly introducing more fuel than necessary, leaving me with a potent "unburned" odor, and occasional smoke upon heavy acceleration. So I'm under the impression that this ecm may actually help me more than harm me.
My current powerplant is a pure out HOSS... I have every intention of using it and adapting it to this cause.
Now.... how much am I going to spend for some of that snazzy desert racing TTB stuff you are running? Not saying I need FOX coilovers and what not, but the beams and joints & things?

- SteveG
- Admin
- Posts: 6177
- Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
- Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
- Location: Arroyo Grande, CA
Re: '80-86 bronco+roller turbo 351W= awesome/fun desert truck?
I think all of this sounds like a blast except for the short wheel base... build something a little longer and you'll be happier (faster and more stable) in the long run.
Then again, if you decide later that you need a longer truck, virtually all the suspension pieces are interchangeable with truck stuff.
Then again, if you decide later that you need a longer truck, virtually all the suspension pieces are interchangeable with truck stuff.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
-
Red91XLT
- Posts: 6
- Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:50 pm
- Bronco Info: '91 XLT, F4TE roller 5.8, HD E4OD, 6" lift coming soon
- Location: Jackson, MS
- Contact:
Re: '80-86 bronco+roller turbo 351W= awesome/fun desert truck?
I have always wanted an F250 or F350, Steve... the problem is that I'd rather a dually in that configuration (especially from the early 80's... man those things look badass), and that probably wouldn't make a very good play thing.
Now, I'd still like to have a longer wheel based truck, but I really do love the Bronco, that's why I'm a member of so many bronco related sites. I'm that guy who annoys his friends at every opportunity by yelling "BRONCO!", every time I pass one on the road. So I think I'd still be happy with it.
I'm not looking for the kind of long travel stuff that you guys run on your rigs to compete with, but rather... what would I need to do with mine in order for it to get along with the desert terrain without causing carnage?
Now, I'd still like to have a longer wheel based truck, but I really do love the Bronco, that's why I'm a member of so many bronco related sites. I'm that guy who annoys his friends at every opportunity by yelling "BRONCO!", every time I pass one on the road. So I think I'd still be happy with it.
I'm not looking for the kind of long travel stuff that you guys run on your rigs to compete with, but rather... what would I need to do with mine in order for it to get along with the desert terrain without causing carnage?

- hobbyturnedobsession
- Posts: 4673
- Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:34 am
- Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0
- Location: High Desert CA
Re: '80-86 bronco+roller turbo 351W= awesome/fun desert truck?
To be honest, thats what mine is. Find some fabricated coil buckets, i.e. spirit fab, autofab, solo I was told does motified stock coil buckets, or go coil over if you feel like building an engine cage. As for me, all I've got is fabbed coil buckets, deaver springs, extended radius arms, 16" x 2.5 swayaways rear deavers and rear swayaways, and trust me its enough for now. It'll get you into enough trouble and usually get you out.
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
- Polarcub
- Posts: 1949
- Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:53 pm
- Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 95 XLT still in the shop........
- Location: Brighton, TN
Re: '80-86 bronco+roller turbo 351W= awesome/fun desert truck?
To be honest with you suspension wise you can have a whole lot of fun with stock suspension as long as you remember to drive within the limits of the stock suspension. Most of us embark on the long travel route because the greater travel allows us to run faster over desert terrain without getting beat to heck in the cab. A great starting point that is easy and relatively inexpensive is to find a set of cut and turned beams run the stock coil bucket (preferably dual shock) with a set of Bilstein 5100s, extended radius arms and add a set of deavers to the rear with the Bilstein 5150s in the stock locations add straps front and rear. With this basic change you will gain travel and have a good setup to go play in. Likely at some point you will find out that you can exceed the shock setup and desire to move into a larger shock this is where things tend to take a turn towards expensive...haha. Changing shock mounts custom buckets etc.... When I started with just the c/t beams in the stock buckets it was plenty for most of my playing. As we got back into desert racing though I found myself wnating needing a bit more for what I use the bronco for. It is all trade offs in the end but its a whole lot of fun getting there.
Jeremy
- philofab
- Basura Blanca
- Posts: 5643
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
- Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
- Location: Bullhead, AZ
- Contact:
Re: '80-86 bronco+roller turbo 351W= awesome/fun desert truck?
Cheapest good setup is Bilstein 5100 shocks, factory dual buckets, 2" drop brackets, leveling coils, softride add-a-leaf, slightly longer shackle (optional), and radius arms.
Can be done with new parts for about $1000 to $1500. Less with classifieds deals.
Setup you bumpstops and limits straps correctly and it will take a beating.
Can be done with new parts for about $1000 to $1500. Less with classifieds deals.
Setup you bumpstops and limits straps correctly and it will take a beating.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
- M666y
- Posts: 10
- Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:58 am
- Bronco Info: 1994 302, E4OD, Solo Beams, Procomp 4" coils, Bilstein 5100s, J40s, Camburg arms & shackles
- Location: Los Angeles, CA
- Contact:
Re: '80-86 bronco+roller turbo 351W= awesome/fun desert truck?
Oh man. My wife is absolutely fed up with me screaming "BRONCO!". She was confused why I didn't scream it when we passed one with a chrome bug guard and 22" rims. You'd think after one whole year of wedded bliss she'd understand why I don't like "those" Broncos.Red91XLT wrote:I'm that guy who annoys his friends at every opportunity by yelling "BRONCO!", every time I pass one on the road.
I swear I left my intro post around here somewhere. I'll finally do it when I get my Deavers in and some photos. I'm looking a little "sick gnar" with the front end pointed at the sky. Thankfully it doesn't leave the driveway until after the attitude adjustment.
I still owe all 285 GFB.com members a beer for buying stuff off the classifieds without posting an intro.
As you were.
- hobbyturnedobsession
- Posts: 4673
- Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:34 am
- Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0
- Location: High Desert CA
Re: '80-86 bronco+roller turbo 351W= awesome/fun desert truck?
Hahah I'm engaged and the lady yells bronco now before I do!
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
- SteveG
- Admin
- Posts: 6177
- Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
- Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
- Location: Arroyo Grande, CA
Re: '80-86 bronco+roller turbo 351W= awesome/fun desert truck?
Man, you guys must really love Broncos....
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
- hobbyturnedobsession
- Posts: 4673
- Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:34 am
- Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0
- Location: High Desert CA
Re: '80-86 bronco+roller turbo 351W= awesome/fun desert truck?
Man its a sickness. I'll let em in in traffic.... Is there a broncos anonymous?
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
-
rezrider
- Posts: 65
- Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:37 pm
- Bronco Info: 88 OJ Special, trail ready but not rock worthy
Re: '80-86 bronco+roller turbo 351W= awesome/fun desert truck?
Got my 13 yo daughter doing it now.....................FREAKS! HAHhobbyturnedobsession wrote:Hahah I'm engaged and the lady yells bronco now before I do!
- hobbyturnedobsession
- Posts: 4673
- Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:34 am
- Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0
- Location: High Desert CA
Re: '80-86 bronco+roller turbo 351W= awesome/fun desert truck?
Hahaha its awesome
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
-
Kyles95
- Posts: 47
- Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:07 pm
- Bronco Info: '95 Bronco XLT custom 2.5" lift 32x11.5 BFG AT soon 4 inch and 33's via cut/turn beams
- Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California
- Contact:
Re: '80-86 bronco+roller turbo 351W= awesome/fun desert truck?
I too am obsessed with Broncos, I'll even pause TV shows and movies just to point them out, Like in National Treasure 2 when they're escaping the museum out a window and they jump into a parking lot you can see an Aerial View of the vehicles and there is a Maroon 92-96........I did have to bitch Slap my buddy for telling his mom "Don't worry I can drink tonight, Kyle's driving his Blaze........SMACK!"
- hobbyturnedobsession
- Posts: 4673
- Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:34 am
- Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0
- Location: High Desert CA
Re: '80-86 bronco+roller turbo 351W= awesome/fun desert truck?
Haahahah thats awesome! I would've done the same.
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
-
Red91XLT
- Posts: 6
- Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:50 pm
- Bronco Info: '91 XLT, F4TE roller 5.8, HD E4OD, 6" lift coming soon
- Location: Jackson, MS
- Contact:
Re: '80-86 bronco+roller turbo 351W= awesome/fun desert truck?
So I stumbled across this today, emailed Swat (from fsb) about it, and got a little info from him.
It's a 2.2L Kenne Bell kit for MAF 351W Lightnings. You'll notice that it's a direct bolt on kit that uses a GT40 lower intake plenum and uses the factory serp for drive power. The 1.5L blower unit from KB is shit and maxes out at 8psi, the 2.2 beast is good for like up to 20 I believe.


I have no idea if I can find one of these but it would really simplify this whole idea quite a bit. I suppose I could get more power from a turbo system, but supercharging just seems to be simpler. This isn't the first time I've considered this. Here's a thread for a little idea I had. http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/sho ... p?t=143834
It's a 2.2L Kenne Bell kit for MAF 351W Lightnings. You'll notice that it's a direct bolt on kit that uses a GT40 lower intake plenum and uses the factory serp for drive power. The 1.5L blower unit from KB is shit and maxes out at 8psi, the 2.2 beast is good for like up to 20 I believe.


I have no idea if I can find one of these but it would really simplify this whole idea quite a bit. I suppose I could get more power from a turbo system, but supercharging just seems to be simpler. This isn't the first time I've considered this. Here's a thread for a little idea I had. http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/sho ... p?t=143834

- philofab
- Basura Blanca
- Posts: 5643
- Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
- Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
- Location: Bullhead, AZ
- Contact:
Re: '80-86 bronco+roller turbo 351W= awesome/fun desert truck?
KB supercharger systems are hard to find now days. They haven't been sold new for over 10 years. Although I like roots style systems, a Paxton or Vortech may be a better choice.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
