? About front spring lower retainer and Rear block/shim?

Conejoracer
Posts: 61
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:26 pm
Bronco Info: 1992 XLT 5.8, Beater
Location: Venice, ca

? About front spring lower retainer and Rear block/shim?

Post by Conejoracer »

I have a 92 Bronco that I removed the front sway bar from. The lower coil spring retainer is cast and has the mount for the sway bar link on it. I'd like to remove this part and replace it with a retainer that does not have the swaybar mount, and therefor should be shorter.. Is there a factory ford part to do this, and if so, does somebody have that part number? I'd also like to remove the rear factory block, and replace it with the appropriate shim to maintain the drive line angle. Does anybody know what degree the factory shim/block is? I think replacing both of these parts will lower the Bronco about 1", which is what my goal is.
User avatar
SteveG
Admin
Posts: 6177
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:25 am
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)
Location: Arroyo Grande, CA

Re: ? About front spring lower retainer and Rear block/shim?

Post by SteveG »

Conejoracer wrote:I'd also like to remove the rear factory block, and replace it with the appropriate shim to maintain the drive line angle. Does anybody know what degree the factory shim/block is?
The factory "block" is a wedge that is only there to correct the pinion angle... you'll need to cut the perches off and re-weld them at the corrected angle to remove the wedge.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
User avatar
philofab
Basura Blanca
Posts: 5643
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:37 am
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.
Location: Bullhead, AZ
Contact:

Re: ? About front spring lower retainer and Rear block/shim?

Post by philofab »

Some trucks had the sway bar mounted to the beam rather than the coil spacer. I'm not sure what trucks this was on but there IS a factory part for this.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
User avatar
johncharlesb
Posts: 510
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:59 pm
Bronco Info: 1962 f100, 1995 Bronco

Re: ? About front spring lower retainer and Rear block/shim?

Post by johncharlesb »

You can replace the lower coil spring retainer with a stamped 2wd f150 piece. My 96 F150 2wd had these, unsure about other years. It will only sit about 1/4" off the beam. I have not used these on a 4x4 beam, but don't see any reason they would not fit. It will probably lower the truck more than an inch though because of the ratio of movement at the end of the beam with the tire versus the movement at the spring. JBG has .25" spacers to adjust the height, but they are pricey for what they are.

You can find much thinner shims/wedges if you do not want to reweld the perches. I would check Summit first, but recommend rewelding them.
User avatar
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Posts: 9194
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Re: ? About front spring lower retainer and Rear block/shim?

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Conejoracer wrote:I have a 92 Bronco that I removed the front sway bar from. The lower coil spring retainer is cast and has the mount for the sway bar link on it. I'd like to remove this part and replace it with a retainer that does not have the swaybar mount, and therefor should be shorter.. Is there a factory ford part to do this, and if so, does somebody have that part number?
There is a factory part. They came off the broncos that didn't have front sway bars. I've got 1 (possibly the set of 2) at the shop.

johncharlesb wrote:You can replace the lower coil spring retainer with a stamped 2wd f150 piece. My 96 F150 2wd had these, unsure about other years. It will only sit about 1/4" off the beam. I have not used these on a 4x4 beam, but don't see any reason they would not fit.
From what I remember the 2wd and 4wd ones are different. I do know that on the 4wd stuff one side is taller than the other. I don't think the 2wd stuff is this way if I remember correctly.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
Post Reply