Shorty headers on before engine installation?

User avatar
1Hondalover
Posts: 819
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 2:30 pm
Bronco Info: Having so much fun with friends in Baja, we're not sure if we want to race NORRA.....
Location: Santa Clarita

Shorty headers on before engine installation?

Post by 1Hondalover »

If I install shorty headers on the engine before I drop it in, will they fit between the rails or will I be making my life miserable by doing this?
User avatar
1Hondalover
Posts: 819
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 2:30 pm
Bronco Info: Having so much fun with friends in Baja, we're not sure if we want to race NORRA.....
Location: Santa Clarita

Re: Shorty headers on before engine installation?

Post by 1Hondalover »

5.8L if it matters.
User avatar
sydude
Posts: 282
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:53 am
Bronco Info: 1992 Restored Bronco w/Built 302x, All Glass, Full Cage, Bilstein 9100's & Deavers
Location: Westchester, NY
Contact:

Re: Shorty headers on before engine installation?

Post by sydude »

You should have no problem going in or out with shorties on - I did it with my 302 with ease and a 351 can’t be much different.
biggiek
Posts: 550
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:27 pm
Bronco Info: 92 Ford Bronco

Re: Shorty headers on before engine installation?

Post by biggiek »

Agree mine didn't have an issue at all on a 351w.
User avatar
1Hondalover
Posts: 819
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 2:30 pm
Bronco Info: Having so much fun with friends in Baja, we're not sure if we want to race NORRA.....
Location: Santa Clarita

Re: Shorty headers on before engine installation?

Post by 1Hondalover »

That's what I wanted to hear. JBA stainless don't fail me now. What kind of gaskets are you guys running on your shorties? Think I'm going to scrap the included gaskets and go for some Remflex. Absolutely don't want any leaking or re-torquing issues once the new engine is in the hole.
User avatar
sydude
Posts: 282
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:53 am
Bronco Info: 1992 Restored Bronco w/Built 302x, All Glass, Full Cage, Bilstein 9100's & Deavers
Location: Westchester, NY
Contact:

Re: Shorty headers on before engine installation?

Post by sydude »

I’m just using the gaskets that came with my Ford Racing shorties. The only leaks I got were when the header bolts came loose once or twice after install and needed to be snugged down, but then they settled in and held. Maybe gasket compressed more after install?
biggiek
Posts: 550
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:27 pm
Bronco Info: 92 Ford Bronco

Re: Shorty headers on before engine installation?

Post by biggiek »

I went with the remflex and havent noticed an issue. I should recheck em but it is quiet.
LvSteve
Posts: 322
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:02 am
Bronco Info: 1995 XLT Sport. 96 427w e4od obd II system........ SOLD IT
Location: Henderson NV , Murray UT

Re: Shorty headers on before engine installation?

Post by LvSteve »

Remflex is the way to go
Post Reply