Page 1 of 1
Custom Fuel Filler Neck/Tube???
Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:10 pm
by VintageIronFab
Hello All,
I need to fab up a custom fuel filler neck/tube. I asked someone about the reason for the plastic inner piece and I guess that's where the fuel flows through and the steel outer is a support for the plastic piece and is the vent I guess. What if I ditched that plastic piece? Has anyone done this with any repercussions? I am wanting to fill basically over the drivers side bed rail. The cap will be basically at the bed rail so I could prob drape the hose from the back of the bed forward too. This is kinda the last bigger fab project I need to tackle to get my project road worthy. I was going to use some 2" donuts to accomplish the right bends.
Thx for any insight!
Matt
Re: Custom Fuel Filler Neck/Tube???
Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:19 am
by CrazyBRONCOguy
I have done this on my 92 and it will make it so it takes a long time to put fuel into the tank. And All I did was cut it even with the metal part that bolts up to the body. If you do remove that I think you will need to run a bigger vent from else where. Maybe able to use something like a 78/79 has with a separate vent hose.
You will have to hold the gas pump all the time as it will not flow enough without shutting off to use the handle holder. This was the only thing I noticed without that tube in place.
If you use race fuel cans all the time, maybe not a big deal.... I have since replaced that piece with a new one and everything is back to normal with the longer fill hose.
Re: Custom Fuel Filler Neck/Tube???
Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:27 am
by VintageIronFab
I wonder if the issue is the hose and the flapper thing? Maybe it's how the tank fills. Maybe i need to do my best to recreate the tube in tube configuration. Maybe delete the inner tube completely?? I'm just wanting to make sure the filler is compatible with today's gas stations as I don't want to babysit a 38 gal tank every time

Custom Fuel Filler Neck/Tube???
Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:21 pm
by Tchajagos
Funny, we ran into this issue last week at the shop. We extended the filler neck for wider bedsides and the guy wasn't able to fill up without the nozzle clicking off every few seconds. The fuel flows down the center tube and the fuel nozzle has a vacuum that sucks the vapors out using the larger outer tube. If the nozzle senses liquid fuel in the vacuum it shuts off. We couldn't figure out what was going on until we discovered that the inner tube was cracked up inside the metal part and gas was being sucked back into the nozzle vacuum. I would just do what you can to keep the same design and make it as long or short as you need but have that inner tube empty inside the tank a little.
Re: Custom Fuel Filler Neck/Tube???
Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:26 am
by CrazyBRONCOguy
http://www.fillernecksupply.com/1987-19 ... z9034m-01/
Is where I got mine from. If you look close at pic you can see that it is made a little different then stock, maybe that would be easier to modify for what you doing. I think as long as the inside tube is present and goes into tank the same amount as a normal fill hose you will be good.
Re: Custom Fuel Filler Neck/Tube???
Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:14 am
by damon1272
This is a different style that may work for you.
http://www.fillernecksupply.com/gas-engine-1/
Re: Custom Fuel Filler Neck/Tube???
Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:07 am
by ChaseTruck754
70's ford truck fill tubes look like this picture with the secondary tube as a vent. While I can't say this is a greater solution as the 70's trucks still fill slow quite often is is an option to find a fill like this & try it.
I will be going through the same thing shortly as I finish up the fill setup for the crew. It's a diesel though now so no vacuum gasket type fitting thing on the pump nozzle to deal with. I'm hoping this makes my life easier. I also have a breather right on top of the fill plate on the tank though so that will hopefully help as well.

- SCS fill tube 1.jpg (71.79 KiB) Viewed 1148 times
Re: Custom Fuel Filler Neck/Tube???
Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:11 am
by ChaseTruck754
I looked at the link Damon posted after I posted the above. Stuff shown there is the same as the 70's ford setup & easier to make work for what you need I'm sure.
Re: Custom Fuel Filler Neck/Tube???
Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:35 am
by VintageIronFab
The only issue with that tank is a nipple needs welded to the tank to work properly
Re: Custom Fuel Filler Neck/Tube???
Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:53 am
by damon1272
Careful on your diesel as the problem gets worse and the vent needs to be bigger. Diesel foams and creates pressure and triggers the pump off. Found this out on a diesel conversion. Had to get the neck designed for diesel as opposed to gas.
Re: Custom Fuel Filler Neck/Tube???
Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:59 pm
by ChaseTruck754
Thanks for the head's up. Already got the diesel fill neck from a 92-96 to match the fuel door I am grafting into the bed. I have the neck just like what Matt has in his original pic, just the diesel nozzle opening one. I have to run a section of hose to connect my fill tube to the tube on my fill plate on the cell and my internal hose from the fill neck won't run the entire length of this. Will see what happens. I made a 46 gal. tank for the thing so standing there holding the nozzle for the entire fill would be very annoying! I do have a 1" breather on the fill plate though, so hopefully this will help as well.