replacing y pipe on 5.8

Deslboy
Bronco Info: 1993 XLT 351. Currently being built. Solo c&t beams, solo radius arms, solo shock hoops

replacing y pipe on 5.8

Post by Deslboy »

I tried to do a search on here but didn't find the info i was looking for. I need to replace the y pipe on my 93 with the 5.8 When I bought my bronco the previous owner had installed a true dual exhaust made by Dynomax which both looks and sounds horrible, along with the fact that it has NO Cats on it. I want to make it Smog legal per CA emissions. I can't seem to find one that is CA legal. I tried Magnaflow but they won't ship to CA residents. I looked into the Bossani one but found the same issue as well, and they want $400. Anyone have any suggestions? My plan was a new y pipe and 2 new Magnaflow CA cats and a new muffler
dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Re: replacing y pipe on 5.8

Post by dtbback »

The bassani y-pipe should be emissions legal. I know the one I bought used has a C.A.R.B. # on it. Also, there is nothing but positive reviews about them all over.
robertcrav
Let me google that for you
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies

Post by robertcrav »

I think Tony got his Bassani from autoanything.com
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

Just saying from my reading
Starting with a approved header followed by the stock OEM system from header to cat probably will be the most economical way to go. Then the muffler shop can just add the new cat and tail pipe. New fed rules allow replacement of stock cat with the latest new design which will work much better from a performance perspective. Does the 93 come with the Y to a 2 head or 1 head interface to the cat? The modern cats have a single inlet. Discuss with the muffler shop who should be up to speed on the new rules. Talk to more than one shop to get the straight story.
Anyway as you noted the mail order vendors probably are not up to speed on CA rules.
Deslboy
Bronco Info: 1993 XLT 351. Currently being built. Solo c&t beams, solo radius arms, solo shock hoops

Post by Deslboy »

looked at a 95 today and it looks like the y pipe goes into the first factory Cat as a dual inlet, then single outlet into the second Cat
damon1272

Post by damon1272 »

Where are you located? I have one out of a 96 F 350 I'll let go for cheap
Deslboy

Post by Deslboy »

I was able to get a used factory one from a customers bronco at Solomotorsports that is upgrading to a stroker motor with no emissions and custom exhaust.
tvoymang
Bronco Info: (Former) 90' Bronco 351W

Post by tvoymang »

damon1272 wrote:Where are you located? I have one out of a 96 F 350 I'll let go for cheap
I might need this. Text me @ 949-412-3810