Push button 4x4 problems

Hauls Assington
Bronco Info: Under Construction

Push button 4x4 problems

Post by Hauls Assington »

I had the 4x4 working, and but now both the 4x4 and low range lights are on, and it wont shift when I push the button.

Is there a way to run a switch to the 4x4, and a switch to the low range? has anyone done this? I am wondering if I screwed it up, when I was attempting to bypass the neutral safety switch.
Tchajagos
Bronco Info: 1993 xlt stock on 33' BFGs

Push button 4x4 problems

Post by Tchajagos »

If I remember correctly there is a computer that controls the whole thing. So it's not just a neutral safety switch. The computer checks to make sure it can shift and after it gets the clear it makes the switch. Maybe it is not getting the signal from the safety switch now and won't switch. Also I think you need to be on the brakes when you press the button. I am not 100% on all this. I'm sure someone much more knowledgable will chime in.
Hauls Assington

Re: Push button 4x4 problems

Yeah, I wonder if something is unplugged that shouldn't be.
Bronco Info: 1979 Class 3 Race Bronco. Built in 2000.

Post by 300 »

Most of the trouble I have had with mine related back to the switch on the drive motor that provides position feedback to the computer. It gets a little moisture in it and corrodes the switch contacts. When it doesn't know where it it is, it does nothing. Also had the switch plate come unglued from the drive plate, same problem. If you just run power to the motor, it will just run to one end of the range or the other until the motor stalls. Have also heard of trouble when it is very cold.
There are some other threads on this issue.
BDKW1
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!

Post by BDKW1 »

Shit can it for a manual one.

One the Rangers you could crawl underneath and manually turn them with a 1/2 ratchet. Not sure if the fullsize T-cases can be done the same way.
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Push button 4x4 problems

Post by cs_drums »

A cheap semi inconvenient fix is the shiftster. Replaces the motor but you have to go under the truck and shift it.
Hauls Assington

Yeah, I have in my possesion an np208 with all the shifters and linkage, but it seems like a hulking turd of a t-case, and it seems that people in the cyber world don't like the 208.

Hopefully something is just unplugged.
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

when my heater core took a shit it pissed on my tcase computer...would shift to 4 hi but not 4 lo. Second time it did that the plug into the computer was loose. My computer is mounted to my cage.

Lots of fords use the same computer. I think I went to the yard and grabbed a couple out of explorers. No problem since fixing wiring and mounting nice to the cage instead of half ass.

Why bypass neutral switch? I know for 4 lo you gotta be in neutral so I am sure that could have something to do with it.

Also unplug the motor itself and put grease in the connector and put back together. That plug has issues with weather.

If/when it shits on me in the future I will put in the manual I have sitting in the shed and not worry about it then I will put up the electric t case and multiple computers I have.
Hauls Assington

Is the red light on the t-case computer supposed to be on or off when it is working? Mine is off. But I don't remember ever seeing it on, probably because it used to be hidden under the dash.

Mine is off. I removed the ac/heater and plated the firewall where they were. In doing so I moved the t-case computer away from the heat, I thought I got it plugged back in right, but maybe not. I checked every connection I could think of and no dice.

both the 4x4 and low range lights are on, on the push button. I wonder if it is working and just stuck in low range?

I deleted the neutral switch because i went from e4OD to c-6 with winters sidewinder shifter.
Hauls Assington

The problem remains. Does anyone know if the neutral safety switch must be plugged in for the t-case to shift?
birdco85
Bronco Info: 95 5.8 MAF E4OD

Push button 4x4 problems

Post by birdco85 »

I'm not sure but does a certain wire get grounded when in neutral? Try checking the wiring schematic and ground that wire (if there is one).
Hauls Assington

Im pretty sure that last time i tried it, the nss was still on there. I think i removed the whole harness that the nss was attached to, i wonder if there are two wires i could jumper together to fool it into thinking it has the nss.
Hauls Assington

I'm getting pretty close to ordering a shiftster.
birdco85

Push button 4x4 problems

Post by birdco85 »

That sounds terrible! Its bad enough having to get out to lock the hubs, now you'll have to get on the ground. And imagine if you're in something that requires 4 low and you have to put the tranny in neutral, are you going to rely on the e brake if you're on a hill? Maybe a very temporary band aid but I would hate having that. Hit a junk yard and pull a manual tcase.
birdco85

Push button 4x4 problems

Post by birdco85 »

I found this on FSB. If you haven't seen it I hope it helps.

http://ylobronc.users.superford.org/doc ... ec1356.htm
VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

I agree with birdco85-- to me without a cable operated mechanism the shiftster is just a dumb idea-- if you ask me. Locking the hubs does suck agreed but at least you aren't getting out and laying underneath the truck to do it.
Hauls Assington

Thanks for the wiring diagram, times like this make me wish i had bought a bronco with a shifter tcase. I still have not gotten it to work yet.
Tchajagos

Push button 4x4 problems

Post by Tchajagos »

Says it uses the speed sensor as well. Do you have that hooked up too?
Hauls Assington

No, i completely deleted the abs system. If that is the speed sensor you are referri g to. The vss, im assuming. It seems like the computer to the tcase is not getting power or is fried.
Tchajagos

Push button 4x4 problems

Post by Tchajagos »

With The push button 4x4 you can actually shift on the fly at speed. The computer uses and checks a bunch of stuff before it tells the t-case motor to turn into 4x4. All that stuff has to be working for it to actually make the shift. I don't have the link but there is a way to test the shifter computer. It's located on the passenger side kick panel. Since you are deleting a bunch of electronics it might be best to put in a manual t-case.