Cad programs

User avatar
steve-oh
Posts: 217
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:46 pm
Bronco Info: 93 xlt,5.0 caged, extended beams work in progress
Location: central fl

Cad programs

Post by steve-oh »

Looking to purchase a cad program so I can start doing more of the design process to get parts made quicker, any suggestions on a good simple program to get?
jkrell
Posts: 232
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:09 am
Bronco Info: Ford F150 Flareside
Location: So Cal

Re: Cad programs

Post by jkrell »

Solid edge 2d is a great place to start for 2d cad drawing...and its free. I draw most of the stuff I cut out on my torchmate on it. Very simple to learn and intuitive software.
VintageIronFab
Posts: 2338
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 12:25 am
Bronco Info: Bronco List:
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Cad programs

Post by VintageIronFab »

Along these same lines of the original question-- I a few years out from having a CNC plasma table but when I do I would like to have a much better understanding of the computer programs. At this point I'm leaning towards the torchmate line due simply for the customer support but they are overpriced in my eyes. I would really like to take some classes at the CC level but I'm not really sure where or what classes to look for. The table is going to be a fairly decent sized part of my business model so I feel like I need to be fairly well versed in its use.
User avatar
Mesozoic
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:18 pm
Bronco Info: '79 Bronco: 408C-ZF5-NP205 SEFI-EDIS8; 4" lift, Dana 44/Ford 9" w/4.10s, locked
Location: Tucson, AZ

Re: Cad programs

Post by Mesozoic »

If you know someone in education you can get an educational license for Solidworks for around $100 and it is well worth it.
User avatar
ESHALLBETTER
Posts: 1588
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:49 am
Bronco Info: 85 class 3, 70's somthing trail bronco.
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: Cad programs

Post by ESHALLBETTER »

Alibre has a free version of their 3D cad software available. Even their program for purchase is pretty reasonable. I used it for years before jumping to Solidworks. Definitely worth checking out to learn on.
User avatar
funinthesun95
Posts: 1701
Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 2:06 pm
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco MAF UsShift
Location: San Diego
Contact:

Re: Cad programs

Post by funinthesun95 »

http://www.academicsuperstore.com/products/SolidWorks

academic superstore ....solidworks this is how got mine
User avatar
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Posts: 9194
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 am
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Re: Cad programs

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Is it still just a 1 year license for the academic version?
User avatar
funinthesun95
Posts: 1701
Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 2:06 pm
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco MAF UsShift
Location: San Diego
Contact:

Re: Cad programs

Post by funinthesun95 »

Steve yes think so
cs_drums
Posts: 2912
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:39 am
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Cad programs

Post by cs_drums »

So I'm sure you all will be as excited as I am about this. The makers of solid works released a cloud based cad program with a free version. It's called
Onshape
Post Reply